SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My Physical Therapist Is Trying To Kill Me.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Physical Therapist Is Trying To Kill Me. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I have been having some balance problems, so the doc sent me to physical therapy, where we have been working on leg strength, endurance, and balance.

At it for maybe a month and a half, I was doing pretty well, so yesterday the therapist set up sort of an obstacle course exercise for me. There was a big foam rubber tootsie roll type thing at each end, maybe ten or twelve inch diameter, set across my path. I had to step over it.

I have done this successfully in the past, but yesterday I did not lift my left foot high enough, caught it on the obstacle, and crashed down onto the floor.

Everybody rushed to my aid, I told them that I needed to get up by myself, as they would not be there to help me if this happened out in the "real world." I crab-walked, scuttled over to a massage table, rolled over to get on a hands and knees position on the floor, then using the massage table for support, augmented by my cane, I was able to stand, to round of applause from those who were in the room at the time.

A Marine who was there for his therapy session yelled, "Way to go, Navy!"

Sat for a while with an ice pack on my elbow, elbow is fine today, but my tuchas is really sore. Bruised, but not broken.

Lesson: Pick up my damn feet when I walk!

I'll survive, but I'm not being real active today.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
You really shouldn’t drink before these sessions.

Seriously though, I sorta feel your pain. I’m not quite 50 but I’ve always had the balance of drunk. It’s awkward at times.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
You really shouldn’t drink before these sessions.
No other way to get through them.

Besides, they are trying to replicate my "real life" situations.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I have been through physical therapy twice and yes, it can be excruciating, especially if you don't do it right.

But it's worth all the pain and suffering in the long run, so hang in there.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
But it's worth all the pain and suffering in the long run
If it continues like this, I'm not so sure.

Might just go back to drinking, per Leemur's suggestion. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you might consider a Tai Chi class for Seniors.

I took one, thought it to be very good and enjoyed it.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps you might consider a Tai Chi class for Seniors.
I'll look into that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
The Coed classes with young women are popular.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
For those of you who know something about T'ai Chi -- is my dependency on a cane for balance a disqualifier?

Yes, I realize that one of the benefits is improved balance, but how about the very beginning stages?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Every class is different. I know you use a cane, but they offer Tai Chi to patients who are wheelchair bound.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Physical Therapist Is Trying To Kill Me.

Well, that sounds like the opposite of what you're paying him to do.

My physical therapist thinks I'm trying to kill him, so I guess you and I are doing our part to balance out the universe.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have become convinced that all physical therapists in the VA healthcare system are there to build their resumes and develop a reputation so they can get hired to work in CIA black hole prisons doing rough interrogations.

Physical Terrorists!

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
young folks have the mistaken notion that Older Folks aren't "tough". They have not a clue about just how tough you have to be to wake up in pain every single day and continue to plug away at Life without any regards to whether it can be painful.

So you just go ahead paying attention to and picking up your feet and when the day comes when you just cant step over something that high then feel free to turn around and say "would you please get that darned thing out of my way". I would also suggest that you start to be just a bit more cautious because that fall you took could have been a bone breaker.

IMO your therapist should have been walking next to you specifically to catch you if you fell. Spotters are standard practice for Gymnasts in excellent condition and should be mandatory for anyone who could be doing something with a real potential for harm even if that exercise is necessary.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Morgan & Morgan, For the People!

We fight For The People, not the powerful institutions that seek to deny them fair and full compensation.

Some attorneys settle for less, but not us. Our 700+ attorneys are prepared to present your case in the strongest terms at trial.

We never settle for less, and neither should you. Contact us for a free, confidential, no-risk consultation to get the best outcome in your case.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
I’m reminded of James Caan in the Killer Elite. He got pretty good with that cane.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Receptionist answers phone: "Physical therapy. How may I hurt you?"

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I suggested to one of the therapists there, that she promote herself on a website as "Mistress Of Pain."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Shouldn’t someone be with you so you don’t fall and injure yourself?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Shouldn’t someone be with you so you don’t fall and injure yourself?
That sounds like an excellent idea!

Actually, the therapist was standing a few feet away, observing me, analyzing my gait. I think that he identified the problem. Wink

Hey, I see that you're in Hoover. I did some contract work there for a while at the BellSouth Data Center. 1995 or thereabout.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve developed balance problems too.

I was seen by a neurologist with that specialty. He said that the capillaries in my vestibular region were narrowing. I was hoping for a med or diet recommendation to reverse that problem. But was given weekly PT appointments instead.

My PT sessions are similar to yours. I was also given home exercises to perform.

I walk about 3 miles most days. I now have to pay attention to walk a straight path. After 6 weeks of PT I see zero improvement in my general balance and walking. I’ll give PT another month or so, hoping for improvement, before I cancel the sessions. OTOH, my therapist is a very personable and cute young lady. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post