SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Are all new waffle makers designed around the Belgian style these days?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are all new waffle makers designed around the Belgian style these days? Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Google says, "Belgian waffles are thicker and often larger than regular waffles because they are made with a waffle iron that has deeper grids. The Belgian waffle batter is also made a little differently than regular waffles, often with a leavening agent or egg whites (as used in this recipe) to make the batter light and fluffy."
I have always used the 'basic' waffle recipe from the 1964 edition of The Joy of Cooking, page 216-217:

1.75 cups cake (or AP) flour, sifted before measuring, then resifted with
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
0.5 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar

3 egg yolks, beaten well, mixed with
2-7 tablespoons oil or melted butter
1.5 cups milk

Mix the liquid ingredients into the dry. Combine with a few strokes.

3 egg whites, beaten until stiff and folded into the batter.

Bake your waffles. These are great with a capful of almond extract and a handful if sliced almonds mixed in the batter.

The buttermilk, sour cream and bacon-corn meal waffle recipes are all great, too.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day- (and with bacon goodness).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If I’m making Belgian waffles, I want the Liege style which is a dough vs. a batter and uses pearl sugar in it. See a good recipe here.

I guess I’ll go get another one of the Cuisinart like I have for standard waffles.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
We have a Cuisnart Classic and it is non-Belgian waffles.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post