SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Are all new waffle makers designed around the Belgian style these days?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are all new waffle makers designed around the Belgian style these days? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Seriously, I just want to find a new waffle maker to supplement the one I already have. With five members of the family the ability to turn out more than one at a time would be great.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Belgian waffles and am looking to pick up a maker for those as well, but I also want one of the old school Waffle House style makers.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The last one I bought was from Goodwill, they usually have a few

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
"Regular" Waffle Maker

We have one just like it.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Amazon has some traditional (non-Belgian) electric waffle makers available, but it does seem the vast majority of them for sale nowadays are for Belgian waffles.

All Clad: https://www.amazon.com/All-Cla...Cgarden%2C163&sr=1-1

Cuisinart Round Classic: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisina...Cgarden%2C163&sr=1-3

Cucina Pro: https://www.amazon.com/Non-Sti...Cgarden%2C163&sr=1-7

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
"Regular" Waffle Maker

We have one just like it.

Ha, I like how the title expressly states “non-Belgian style”.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
Amazon has some traditional (non-Belgian) electric waffle makers available, but it does seem the vast majority of them for sale nowadays are for Belgian waffles.

All Clad: https://www.amazon.com/All-Cla...Cgarden%2C163&sr=1-1

Cuisinart Round Classic: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisina...Cgarden%2C163&sr=1-3

Cucina Pro: https://www.amazon.com/Non-Sti...Cgarden%2C163&sr=1-7

Yep, that Cuisinart one is what I’m using now. Works great just thought I could find a bigger unit to do more/bigger waffles at once. Looks like I’ll just buy a second one. BTW $30 @ Bed, Bath, & Beyond before their ever-present 20% off coupon.

Complacency sucks…

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of Belgian waffles until I sampled them at the 1964 World's Fair. I remember them being the big food hit there, people were talking about them.

Now, on the breakfast menu of just about every restaurant that I have been to recently (before the plague got here) offers Belgian waffles. I can't remember the last time I saw a "standard" (non-Belgian) waffle on a menu.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30534 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I prefer the "regular" waffles.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too.

I'm not eating in restaurants nowadays, but I can't remember -- does Waffle House have the regular waffles that we like? Or have they gone to Belgian type, like so many other places?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30534 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Black & Decker 3-1 Griddle/Waffle Maker

I have one of these; have had it for probably 20+ years. Only use it for waffles and have never used the griddle side as I figured high heat directed against the waffle side while using the griddle might ruin the non-stick waffle surface. I give it a very light spray of PAM before pouring in the first waffle; the rest come out easily.

It doesn't get rigorous or even regular use but has worked flawlessly to date.

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Most are and the ones not are small either in quantity or depth of waffles.

For that family what you want is a “GE waffle iron 26g46t”. This one is NOT in good shape!

Link

These churn out 6 good sized rectangles at a time in decent cooking time. Downside is these were made in the 50’s or 60’s and are difficult to find now. If I sound like a waffle expert, well, I’m a fan.

My mother had one of these that I got. Realized it wouldn’t last forever and also wanted one for a cabin, found what you did. Small, cheap, Belgian, whatever but nothing even close. That was ~ 13 years ago. Since then with a constant running search/notification on eBay have had some pop up but only occasionally.

I wouldn’t even be telling you this had I not already snagged a like new one for cabin. And two more for our two kids who grew up on these. Plus at least one more spare stored in closet with holiday stuff. I may have a problem.......

Anyway, if you can find something like that it’ll serve you well!

For the record, I’ve never had a frozen or prepackaged waffle. Or store bought BBQ sauce for that matter. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12345 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cant help you on the non-Belgian ones, but I love our Belgian one.

https://www.all-clad.com/Kitch...e-Maker/p/1500637802

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
When you’re cooking sausage/bacon/ham and eggs, a waffle maker is good for making shredded potatoes like Denny’s sell. Takes a while to figure out timing but you can get them pretty crispy.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is with these round waffle makers. I grew up with my mother making waffles in a machine that was SQUARE. If someone had put one of those quarter rounds on my plate when I was 4 or 5 I would have freaked out.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5607 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Black & Decker 3-1 Griddle/Waffle Maker

I have one of these; have had it for probably 20+ years. Only use it for waffles and have never used the griddle side as I figured high heat directed against the waffle side while using the griddle might ruin the non-stick waffle surface. I give it a very light spray of PAM before pouring in the first waffle; the rest come out easily.

It doesn't get rigorous or even regular use but has worked flawlessly to date.

Smile

I worked for a while in the purchasing and manufacturing engineering sections at the Allentown GE plant that made those, long before GE sold the small appliance business to Black and Decker. Decidedly non-Belgian design and GE built them to last.

Posts: 14996 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked it up and saw Belgian waffles are round with deeper holes. Do they taste different? If it’s round is it Belgian, square not Belgian?

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

I looked it up and saw Belgian waffles are round with deeper holes. Do they taste different? If it’s round is it Belgian, square not Belgian?
Google says, "Belgian waffles are thicker and often larger than regular waffles because they are made with a waffle iron that has deeper grids. The Belgian waffle batter is also made a little differently than regular waffles, often with a leavening agent or egg whites (as used in this recipe) to make the batter light and fluffy."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Me too.

I'm not eating in restaurants nowadays, but I can't remember -- does Waffle House have the regular waffles that we like? Or have they gone to Belgian type, like so many other places?

Waffle House still has the traditional ones they've always had!

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn’t even know pancake batter and waffle batter were different. Wife educated me.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We have had a few different waffle griddles over the years but the Villaware models lasted the longest. Wife got one for the kids when they were young and it's still going after I dunno how many years. It's the Villaware Circus 20110. They make a number of different variations. Makes great consistent waffles.

Try the malted batter mix as well as sourdough starter recipes. Krusteaz has some tasty mixes as well if you don't have time to make from scratch.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post