SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Posting pictures that are really wide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Posting pictures that are really wide Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
Why the fuck do people post pictures that are like 152537493635242 pixels wide? Aside of the two people that have a damned 86” monitor running 4K definition, it causes the rest of us feeble tablet dwellers to side scroll.

Have you ever tried to read an interesting post when you have to sidescroll every goddamn line? Fucking hell, it’s enough to make one mad.

There was a really interesting article about a really fast car. I wanted to read it, as it was super interesting to me. I had to quote the reply so it would get to my screen size and was readable.

Fuck, it pisses me off to the point of wanting to flick a guy’s ear for posting big goddamn pics.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled posting.
And a preemptive fuck you, to the person that posts up the million pixel wide photo, or a picture of longcat in this thread. You can go shit peach pits. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
If you right click and 'view image' you can avoid the scroll.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Also a pet peeve of mine. I keep mine to a max of 800 pixels wide, with many being 700 or 500. If I have an especially nice hi-res version of the picture, I make the posted picture a clickable link to the hi-res version.

Also annoying (slight drift) are too big avatars (not 60x60). Some are 300 up to 1000 pixels, and show up readily while loading on a mobile device, before finally being resized by the forum software. Some very long time members are still guilty of this one.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

On a tablet or phone?

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I like the homemade horizontal lines in signatures ... Wink

The images I host allow me to append any image with ?w=600, for example, and the image is resized with height constrained.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It's not just the size of the photo that ticks me off but that the text is usually as wide. I will not scroll back and forth to read some guy's inconsiderate post.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Cool, because I woke up this morning and thought “damn, I am probably alone here and shouldn’t have posted that”.

Glad to know I’m not the only one.

Pyker, my iPad doesn’t have “right click”. It just had my fingers.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Cool, because I woke up this morning and thought “damn, I am probably alone here and shouldn’t have posted that”.

No, you're not alone.

I've taken to throwing URLs for photos like that into my ad blockers. Means I'll never see photos from that in-duh-vidual again, but it also means I can read the forum.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

On a tablet or phone?

Just attempted a 'helpful' suggestion, not a damn cure.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I see that too on the phone so when I post a picture which I usually have to be on the PC to do, I am cognizant of that fact and I downsize the pictures from normal humongous size.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess that maybe they do not know how to do it any other way?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I would guess that maybe they do not know how to do it any other way?

Use postimages.org

It even gives an option when uploading to size it. Super convenient.

quote:
The “lol” thread

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
t even gives an option when uploading to size it. Super convenient

I stumbled across something I didn't know the other day. When posting a photo here on the forum you paste the link in between the tags. When you do so, at the very end of that link will be the image size.

Change those numbers and it will change how it post on the forum. If it's too big, simply cut them in half and it will appear half size. No need to save it elsewhere or do anything else to alter it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
t even gives an option when uploading to size it. Super convenient

I stumbled across something I didn't know the other day. When posting a photo here on the forum you paste the link in between the tags. When you do so, at the very end of that link will be the image size.

Change those numbers and it will change how it post on the forum. If it's too big, simply cut them in half and it will appear half size. No need to save it elsewhere or do anything else to alter it.

Thanks for the info. Will try that next time I post an image (if I remember). Been resizing mine on the computer before posting.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Just keep in mind that not all photo hosting sites have that in the URL. So you won't be able to do it with every image.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
if you are pulling an image from the web, right click on your image and do a Google Image search, you results will give you the option of all, small, large etc.

Choose Small, once you see a page of the images, then find one with sub 600x600 numbers.

Right click that smaller image and copy the URL

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
Maybe a sticky with helpful tips on posting photos since it isn't exactly intuitive for some folks.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Choose Small, once you see a page of the images, then find one with sub 600x600 numbers.

Unless you're catering to the "stuck in the 1990s and still running a CRT monitor in 800x600 resolution" crowd, sub-600x is frankly pretty small for many forum images, especially for images that contain a lot of detail.

They may work somewhat fine on your phone, because of how phones display the forum plus how easy it is to just pinch to zoom, but on a typical high resolution computer display these days that'd be about the size of a post-it note. So not great when you're trying to show off details, or there's a lot going on in the photo.

Can you make out what's going on here? Because basically everyone on a computer can't...

500x-600x is fine for basic images, jokes, etc. (Like the first one I posted above.) But for anything more complicated than just basic images, ~800x wide is about the minimum for reasonable cross-platform viewing, since it's where more detailed images start being workable on most computers. ~1000x wide is about right for most viewers on most platforms with detailed images. ~1200x wide is about the upper limit in posted image size for good cross-platform forum browsing, because that is about where phones start having to adjust and make readers scroll to the side to read the last of the text.

(It also has partly to do with what folks have their phone settings set to... If they've got their text size set on Ginormous because they're in denial about getting old and needing glasses, that's naturally gonna throw all sorts of aspects of forum browsing off kilter. But that's the fault of the phone user and their unreasonable death-grip on their fading youth, not the fault of some young whippersnapper posting images that are "too big". Big Grin)

tl;dr - For detailed images, I usually try to find versions of that image that are around 1000 pixels in width. It's a good all-around compromise.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

~1000x wide is about right for most viewers on most platforms with detailed images. ~1200x wide is about the upper limit in posted image size for good cross-platform forum browsing,

I have a 32" monitor running at 3840x2160, so plenty of screen real estate. I also have my browser window sized quite large, but also zoomed to 175%. 1024 is the largest I can view without scrolling, which is why I use 800 as an upper compatibility limit. Very occasionally I will post one at 1024 wide, but more often I will post it at 800 and make it clickable to a high-res version of the image. This way the viewer gets the gist, and can view the high-res version without causing size problems on the forum.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
1024 is the largest I can view without scrolling

Well, yeah. Because:

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
...but also zoomed to 175%

Thus making that 1024x photo effectively 1792x.