SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cashing checks...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cashing checks... Login/Join 
posted
Let me see if I got this straight:

I write you a check to you in mid December for renewal of my Radio club membership, and I don't hear from you after that. I email you twice and don't get a response. You're the club Treasurer, live a few miles from me, you're retired and have received dozens of membership renewals.

Upon calling the Credit Union and thinking the check was lost in the mail, two weeks ago I cancelled payment on the check.

And NOW, two months later after receiving the check, you try to cash it and you're pissed at me for sending you a bum check?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds about right. I've seen the same issue with our area gun club and range. I use mobile deposit for my personal and business accounts and really like it.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Did you send him a new check when you cancelled that one?

I'd never consider putting a stop payment on a check that I hadn't confirmed was actually MIA. Hell the cost alone would make it worth a call or email. Only time I've done that in years it was something like $39, right? How dang much are dues to a radio club?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Did you send him a new check when you cancelled that one?

No. I'll give him CASH (And get a receipt) in person, when I see him at a meeting that he seldom goes to.

quote:
I'd never consider putting a stop payment on a check that I hadn't confirmed was actually MIA. Hell the cost alone would make it worth a call or email.

I figured two months was long enough. My phone number was on the check, so he could have phoned me if he had personal issues.

quote:
Only time I've done that in years it was something like $39, right?

Stop payment cost me $10.

quote:
How dang much are dues to a radio club?

$25.

Cost is not the issue. If he's going to be the Club Treasurer, which he asked for the position, then he should do his job.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rent a storage locker to house my motorcycle. The owner wont set up electronic payment options so I have to pay by check. He often sits on the check for as much as 3 weeks before he cashes it.
Now I pay him in cash.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Just curious, why the concern if folks are sitting on the check for a while?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I used my bank's bill pay to send a check to pay for my son's swim club fees. The check goes to a local PO Box. The swim club treasurer tells me she never got the check, so I pay it again. Two years later, I notice I have a credit in the swim club account for a familiar amount. Sure enough, it was the check that went missing. The treasurer tells me she just received it.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Stop payment on a $25 check...?

Some people have too much time on their hands.

Then again checks as a whole are on the way out.

And if someone has to have a check, they get it directly from my bank via a web bill pay service. They can sit on it forever, I really don’t give a shit. I’ll sick the bank on him and they’ll call them relentlessly to check on the status of it. And it’s guaranteed to arrive on time, or they pay the late fee.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Some people don't like checks hanging out there?

The longest was a check I sent to bdavis for a Glock 21 threaded barrel. He got my check and sent me the barrel.

Months later I noticed the check wasn't cashed so I sent him an email to remind him to cash it Smile

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My grandfather gives me a significant check every year for my birthday (10x age). Every year after a few weeks I get a call, "why haven't you cashed the check yet?" I think he just wants to reconcile his ledger at the end of the month or quarter or whatever, but he hates it, I try to remember to deposit it, but I don't until I have an emergency or find something I want him to buy me for my birthday.

I feel bad since I know it bothers him, 2020 is the year I immediately cash it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
skins, pretty much every bank has this capability for like oh, the past 5-10 years.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
skins, pretty much every bank has this capability for like oh, the past 5-10 years.

I'm a weirdo, I don't use apps, I have just a couple, weather, MP3 player, and rotten tomatoes, maybe one or two others I am not thinking about.

I don't like the permissions required. The video you linked requires a finger print, plus I'm sure a number of other permissions. Pass.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those apps might be handy for a check here and there, but they are terribly time consuming with more than a few checks. The numerous security features make a trip to the bank easier. The bank is much less busy these days so there is little time wasted at the drive through. Hope more people use those apps.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don’t see the point of canceling the check. If it’s still uncashed after 6 months, I’ll void it in quicken and note in the memo how much it was for.

I don’t see the downside of leaving the check alone.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I got divorced in 1994.
The divorce stated I keep health insurance on the kids, and I did, and we split 50/50 what the insurance didn't pay for.
Insurance usually paid 100% on medical stuff, minus annual deductibles that we split..
Daughter got braces, other dental stuff, back then $1500 annual limit, etc...
My child support came out of my paycheck, thru the courts, and they wrote her a monthly check, thankfully.

So when it came time to give the ex a check for anything, she would sit on it for 3 to 4 months.
In the 90s and early 2000s I was living paycheck to paycheck for a long time, and didn't want to have to remember outstanding checks.
I asked her why, she said she didn't have time to go to the bank.

So after 3 or 4 episodes of this, I went to 7-Eleven and got her money orders for anything I had to pay her.
It pissed it her off.
I think she just liked having ANY type of control over me she thought she had. Roll Eyes

We get along fine now, the kids are grown and I'm remarried.
We split my daughter's college graduation dinner, $1200 for a party of 10 last December.

But I'd never write her, or my kids a check again.
They learned from her.
Oddest thing, she is a CPA...

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In March I mailed $30 to a PD for records. It was cashed a couple of weeks ago. Someone scribbled an “8” over the “3” on the date. Checks might void out after six months. If it is noticed.

‘It’s the time of year for hating checks. A local bank taking township r.e. tax payments inexplicably does not deposit them immediately Roll Eyes

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Be glad it sits there... last February I mailed the Maine State Police a check for $50 for a pistol permit... it got cashed two weeks later and that is the last I heard from them... until my 2nd letter almost a year later... um I'm on hold because I grew a marajuana plant in 1978..... I actually understand the hold or even a denial but lack of communication I don't.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMHO, it is simply common courtesy to cash a check as soon as possible.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
*This*

quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:

IMHO, it is simply common courtesy to cash a check as soon as possible.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen the same issue with our area gun club and range.

The issue is commercial vs. private accounts.

My personal club has this issue. We get charged after a specified number of transactions. A transaction is a deposit regardless of the number of items . So a few weeks is waited to get a number of checks in the deposit, especially around renewal time.

The cost to Stop Payment on a check is almost the same amount as the check itself..

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post