SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    State park but launch ramp is restricted?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State park but launch ramp is restricted? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
State park / lake area. There is an area for parking (state parking permits - day pass or annual). That area also has lake access for launching water vehicles.

Again, state park. So why is that launch ramp restricted use only for a private party (a rafting rental type company). It's largely unused. And if we just limit to small crafts (ie - rafts, kayaks, paddleboards, non-motorized even), why can't it be shared? It's a state owned park anyway. Apparently, people can use the ramp if they carry their kayak, paddleboard, whatnot. But you can't use your car down the ramp. Only the private party can use their trailers on the ramp. And it doesn't seem to be used much -- it seems like it's a pickup location (end of the rafting trip).

So, if I have enough money, I can buy/build my own launch on state park property for my exclusive use?

Why doesn't the state just make and build ramps for people to use?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good question for your state representative. In some areas of the country the state or Federal government acquired private land and grandfathered certain things. For example grazing rights for cattle in some cases. Just a guess.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Yep several emails to your representatives to get this squared away. You'll either be told that's the way it is, or this is wrong and we need to change it.

Or do what I do, and use it anyway? Is someone going to beat your ass over using a public boat launch? I WILL be using this boat launch, so GFY.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the private entity built it on their own dime?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Perhaps the private entity built it on their own dime?

The above is probably correct. The private party could have built the ramp with their funds or they could lease the ramp from the state. Either way since they pay/paid out cash to the state they get to make the rules.

There's a state park in my area that use to have a free ramp that anyone could use. Several years ago the state leased or sold the ramp to a private party. The private party invested big bucks in improving the ramp and marina by adding more slips and dockage. They also charge a 10 dollar fee to use the ramp which drove away a few idiots, which was a good thing, and they hired someone to manage the ramp to keep things moving smoothly on weekends so no more morons blocking the ramp doing stuff that should be done at the rigging area.

I wasn't thrilled with the idea when the private party took over the ramp and started charging a fee but I have to admit the private party does a much better job maintaining the ramp and marina than the state did.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the rental company posted an unapproved sign. I'd use it anyway if it's on public land. Likely they haven't been challenged.

Otherwise, what are they going to do? Call the cops?...what would be the charge?

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have seen public use ramps where "X-company retains right of way" because they built it in cooperation with the town.
If you are there when they show up, and you are not connected (Boat and trailer) already, you MUST make way for them no matter how long they may take.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I have seen public use ramps where "X-company retains right of way" because they built it in cooperation with the town.

In Iceland's main national park, the same thing happens. There's a parking lot built by snorkel tour companies that's only available to them, even though it's a nat'l park.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Leases, inholdings, concessionaire-operated facilities (where the concession holder has exclusive rights for some things) are all common in state and federal park/resource areas. Many have been in force since the parks were established (ZSMICHAEL nailed one example: You want to buy my land to establish a park? Stellar... it's yours, except for this 1 acre in the middle where my family home has been for 100 years and where three generations are buried.)

When I was a baby ranger, the answer to "What'll the cops do?" was pretty simple: I'd warn, cite, or arrest, circumstances depending.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
You will most likely find what Dennis said to be true.

Years ago it was built perhaps as public access. Then as time passed it fell into disrepair, the decision was made that either it would be taken out or leased to someone who was willing to bring it back to spec.

The above scenario is common where I came from in Illinois. Not just launch ramps but any number of what were pubic conveniences.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5147 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
Sounds like the rental company posted an unapproved sign. I'd use it anyway if it's on public land. Likely they haven't been challenged.

Otherwise, what are they going to do? Call the cops?...what would be the charge?

Trespassing for one.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It's not much different than when you rent a campsite for a few days. It's still the property of the state park, but you have leased it for your exclusive use for a time.

Utah has leased the right to operate a slalom course to the Utah Waterski Club on Utah Lake. UWC built and maintains the course. They'll let anybody use it, but you must yield to any club member if they show up. It is as if that part of the lake is theirs.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Slight Drift.

I loaded up the canoe with the wifey last week and went out to the lake that is owned by our local water Nazis. As I attempted to turn into the lot for the launch ramp I was met by state troopers and a road block. Apparently once the lot is full, they shut it down. Parking on the football field sized grassy are is verboten. Pulling over and throwing the canoe in the water from anywhere else is verboten. Staging on the multiple pull off's waiting for a car to leave is verboten. It was pretty disappointing to say the least.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post