SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The local automotive mega-dealer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The local automotive mega-dealer Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Ya know, 2 years ago I went to Kings over in Ohio. They had a suitable Jeep for us, so we bought it. As in signed all the papers and even gave them my title for the trade. All seemed to go well and we were on our way pretty quickly.

I'm retired and how long it takes sort of doesn't matter much. All I remember was I didn't think it took that long. Looked to me, the uninitiated megadealer customer, like a clean deal. Then the sun began to shine on me.

I didn't get my title. So I called and asked them what the deal was. They were working on it. Finally, with my temporary tag expiring I did what any normal hillbilly would do. I drove over and asked them to give me another temp tag.

Wow, it was like me asking for my money back or something. It seems the Ohio folks don't like to issue a 2nd tag. Stronger than that, they won't. I had no inkling of the depth of the problem, and the dealer staff were clueless. They decided the best course of action was to just give me a dealer tag. OK. Then a while later they sent me a nice envelope with a title in it.

The problem was it wasn't for my new jeep, but for a Ram pickup. I just figured they could't find mine. And it only cost me the embarrassing trip to my courthouse because I was too dumb to notice the title. It was a mistake because I returned to the dealership and gave them the Ram title. Bet that guy was pissed, too. So there I sat, new jeep but no title. And the dealer was't in a hurry, still.

Time was still ticking and no title. No title, no plate. I did have the badge of shame, a Kings Ohio plate to show my ignorance to the world. My guess is that the purchaser of the truck was smarter and wouldn't give up my title until they gave him his.

Even more time expired and finally in the mail came my title. It was a replacement title. I think those are issued when the dealer swears the original is lost.

So I had everything I needed and made my 6th trip to the courthouse to get my plates. Hint, it isn't cheaper to buy from the lowest price place. It seemed to go well. The nice lady remembered me even. Guess I was an example of what not to do. Everyone has value, and I was a bad example.

So relieved, we retraced my route back to the dealer to return my then familiar dealer tag. All in a nice package with magnetic thingers to clamp it to my car. I went inside and there were no familiar faces, at least to me. So I found the guy who looked most like a boss and asked him where the manager was. He used the time honored approach of always answering a question with another question, which was, Why do you need him?

I guess they piss off enough customers he feared an attempt on his life. I understand why. But I handed him the dealer plate. His next question was "how'd you get this?" I told him it didn't matter since you have it now, but I did want the photo copy of my drivers license back. He was totally perplexed, as where the rest of the crowd that had gathered. So I rolled my eyes and explained they required a copy of it to know who they'd loaned the plate to.

The answer I got was a classic. "Whe don't know where that would be. I believed them when they said they didn't know.

So I came away with a new outlook on life. Its not always cheaper to buy the cheapest vehicle. Even if you're retired your time has some value at least to you.

And I still hate legislators. They passed a law that prevents out of state dealers from acquiring the plates for customers. It was passed at the urging of in-state dealers. The ones who are aware of the clusterfuck our title clerks have created in the courthouse.

Now my wife wants a new car. Hers stopped running the other day. Its only 10 1/2 years old. Whats a boy to do? Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rburg,

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
VT the mega dealer in your OP wouldn’t be Berglund would it?

No, sir. They're certainly one of the "big boys," but my one purchase and one test drive visit there have gone very smoothly. Not as great as my local Nissan store experiences, but nothing to complain about.

Several posts up, smlsig nailed it: "Would that dealer start wth a "S" and end with a "R"?"

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Berglund is the only one I know down in your area. They screwed a coworker hard several years ago. I wouldn’t set foot on any property they own.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
You've got email, Leemur.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post