SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neighbor Put Up Huge Wind Chimes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor Put Up Huge Wind Chimes Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
No, no, no.

Wait for when he goes to the store, then steal them and run over them in the street in front of his house.

He'll get the message.

If you talk to him first, he'll know you did it.

^^^ While I don't condone destruction of property this may be the only reasonable solution

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, no, no.

Wait for when he goes to the store, then steal them and run over them in the street in front of his house.

He'll get the message.

If you talk to him first, he'll know you did it.

I am kind of in this boat. New neighbor put in a flood light in place of his front door coach light and has it pointed directly at my house. Not only that, there is a problem in the electronics and whenever a car drives by it starts flashing then gets really bright.

I have thought about going over and offering to trouble shoot the fixture and adjust the floods so they only light his yard, or maybe his yard and the street in front of his house.

If I go over and offer to fix/adjust his lights and he says no, or doesn't speak English he will know where to direct the cops when he comes home and finds that the fixture has been smashed into 7,000,000 little pieces with a aluminum baseball bat.

I am not sure if I should roll the dice and find out if he speaks English or is considerate enough to care about his neighbors.

Should I smash or offer assistance?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lingham:
I had a neighbor who had 2 large dogs. They would bark continuously whenever he let them out. When I spoke to him about it he was not willing to train his dogs to stop barking or otherwise do anything about the situation. I set up a stereo with a Cd player in my shed which was close to our property line and after he brought his dogs in for the night I flipped a switch and the CD would play a continuous loop of guard dogs barking. After the second night he came over in the morning to say "I get it, I will bring them in as soon as they start barking." Problem solved.

^^^^Lingham, I like the way you think.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
After the Serpent convinced Eve to eat the apple, she knew she was naked, and also that the garden could use some upgrades. So the serpent said "Wouldn't some nice wind chimes be just the thing?"

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
After the Serpent convinced Eve to eat the apple, she knew she was naked, and also that the garden could use some upgrades. So the serpent said "Wouldn't some nice wind chimes be just the thing?"

That is funny! Big Grin

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Gale gongs?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
We most always have a breeze off the water being so close to the bay and the lib neighbors put up those wind chimes one year. Like you, they nearly drove me crazy, but before I could no longer tolerate the noise, he tired of them first and took them down and replaced them with bamboo ones. Much easier on the ears, I actually like those ones Big Grin

Yeah, those fucking libertarians love their goddamn windchimes.

What do his politics have to do with chimes?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
We most always have a breeze off the water being so close to the bay and the lib neighbors put up those wind chimes one year. Like you, they nearly drove me crazy, but before I could no longer tolerate the noise, he tired of them first and took them down and replaced them with bamboo ones. Much easier on the ears, I actually like those ones Big Grin

It now seems we have more in common than politics, bamboo chimes Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Could they be relocated around the end of his house? Maybe use one of those shepherd's crooks you stomp into the ground?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I figured he meant librarians.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I figured he meant librarians.

Actually my whole point was that though we'll not likely agree mostly with political views, we have a "live and let live" attitudes. I didn't bother confronting him about the wind chime and eventually he even recognized it was obnoxiously loud and exchanged it for the more pleasing sound of bamboo. And without words we both have common ground in our thinking, a pleasant ending. Especially since I'm a fuck**g independent and have some core values/beliefs on both sides Cool

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lingham:
I set up a stereo with a Cd player in my shed which was close to our property line and after he brought his dogs in for the night I flipped a switch and the CD would play a continuous loop of guard dogs barking

This has long been my approach. It's amazing how quickly they correct when they are receiving incoming.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
I've never understood the attraction of wind chimes. Why in hell would anyone want to install a noise maker of any kind? Silence is always better than unnecessary noise.

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Kadin:
I've never understood the attraction of wind chimes. Why in hell would anyone want to install a noise maker of any kind? Silence is always better than unnecessary noise.

I agree wholeheartdy. If those giant chimnes were next door to me. There would be words, or actions of some kind. Gale chimes, indeed.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would ask him to take them down. If that is a no go find a rock band and let them use your porch at night for practice. Fight fire with fire!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I'm the opposite; I like the large low-pitch wind chimes. The smaller ones are too high-pitch and annoying to me. Anyway, I would go over and nicely let him know that they are affecting your sleep at night and ask him to try something like Mooney suggested above.

Good luck.

Me, too. The low pitched ones sound good.

And yes, you have to ask first. Are people seriously counseling going straight to vandalism and destruction of someone else's property?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I'm the opposite; I like the large low-pitch wind chimes. The smaller ones are too high-pitch and annoying to me. Anyway, I would go over and nicely let him know that they are affecting your sleep at night and ask him to try something like Mooney suggested above.

Good luck.

yup baritone chimes are nice. Probably not in an apartment setting that close though...

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I fucking hate wind chimes.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kadin:

When they're properly tuned and it's a light breeze, they are music.

If they off tune - blecky,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in 25 years we were in at least 40 camp grounds or more, and it never fails that when you find an empty campground , some
ass hat in a $300,000.00 land yacht will pull in
and set up his space.

and then because its too ! quiet, he hangs up some wind chime , to bang clang and clank, all forking night.

Mad Mad

I say make him a "good Neighbor" or "after hours" wind chime.

get yourself 5 pool noodles and hang them from a bucket lid. with a welcome to the neighbor hood plate of brownies

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post