SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neighbor Put Up Huge Wind Chimes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor Put Up Huge Wind Chimes Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Are you F%#$*cking kidding me? Mad

We live in what is called a duplex in some areas, in PA they call them "twin" homes, and they all have front porches. I'd say there's about 10-12 feet of space between our homes, basically we each have a walkway to the rear of our houses

The older gentleman in the twin/duplex next to us has put up a HUGE set of wind chimes on his porch; the longest pipe is like 5-6 feet. For the past two nights now, we have not had a good night's sleep with all the infernal binging and bonging going on all night and it's only been a moderate breeze lately. I can't wait till the wind really blows. Confused

We've been here 3 years and never have had a problem with him, he can be a little gruff and reclusive but isn't a bad neighbor. Right now he's there alone, before he had a woman living with him along with 2 loud and yappy small dogs but they apparently had a falling out and she left some time ago with her dogs.

I'm thinking that I bring the wife and the 2 year old over and knock on his door and ask him nicely if he could move or take them down?

If he refuses, is there any recourse for us? I am already dreading the loud "bong" "bing" "bong" "bing" tonight! It's not like these are small ones with a pleasant tinkly sound, these are deep and loud. Frown

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go talk with him.

After that, then make a decision on what to do next.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have big ones in my backyard. During the fire season they're good for letting me know when, in the middle of the night, the winds pick up to the level we need to be concerned.

When winds are from the north, and they make too much noise all day long, I either move them or just tie them off for a couple weeks.

Many options with wind chimes - relocating them depending on the season tends to be the best option, IMO

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I personally like the bigger windchimes, but the little ones drive me beserk, so I understand.

I'd ask him nicely if he wouldn't mind silencing them, at least during the dark hours, as they are affecting your peace.

Dependent upon the clapper setup, this can be effected by using a pool noodle or pipe insulation around the clapper. He may even be willing to put them down off the hook each night. He could also anchor the clapper so it cannot move.

If that doesn't work, since he is disturdbing your peace, there may be legal options, but I'd try being neighborly first. You share a common wall and common interest in the property after all.

Good luck.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
We have the big ones, and love the sound, but no one lives closer than 100 yards or so...

At night, the only time I'll even notice them is during a storm big enough that it would probably wake me up anyway..

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
You share a common wall and common interest in the property after all.

Good luck.

I'm not connected to him, he's the next duplex to me but his half faces our half and the chimes are pretty close to our bedroom window on the side of the house.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
We most always have a breeze off the water being so close to the bay and the lib neighbors put up those wind chimes one year. Like you, they nearly drove me crazy, but before I could no longer tolerate the noise, he tired of them first and took them down and replaced them with bamboo ones. Much easier on the ears, I actually like those ones Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]Go talk with him.

After that, then make a decision on what to do next.
__________________________________________________________________________________----
Assume he has no idea they are bothering you. Be nice and post back after that.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No, no, no.

Wait for when he goes to the store, then steal them and run over them in the street in front of his house.

He'll get the message.

If you talk to him first, he'll know you did it.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait for when he goes to the store, then steal them and run over them in the street in front of his house.

I was going to suggest filling them with expanding foam.....less obvious. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
I had a neighbor who had 2 large dogs. They would bark continuously whenever he let them out. When I spoke to him about it he was not willing to train his dogs to stop barking or otherwise do anything about the situation. I set up a stereo with a Cd player in my shed which was close to our property line and after he brought his dogs in for the night I flipped a switch and the CD would play a continuous loop of guard dogs barking. After the second night he came over in the morning to say "I get it, I will bring them in as soon as they start barking." Problem solved.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were replacing some galvanized water pipes in the house.

We had a couple of beers after the job was done and someone looked at the pile and said "Wind Chimes!".

Made the most God awful sound.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lingham:
I had a neighbor who had 2 large dogs. They would bark continuously whenever he let them out. When I spoke to him about it he was not willing to train his dogs to stop barking or otherwise do anything about the situation. I set up a stereo with a Cd player in my shed which was close to our property line and after he brought his dogs in for the night I flipped a switch and the CD would play a continuous loop of guard dogs barking. After the second night he came over in the morning to say "I get it, I will bring them in as soon as they start barking." Problem solved.

I love it! Haha!

I thought maybe I'd buy a couple of those gag devices that emit a random annoying beep or other sound and somehow plant them in his house...

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Aeolian wind harp. Big Grin

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I'm the opposite; I like the large low-pitch wind chimes. The smaller ones are too high-pitch and annoying to me. Anyway, I would go over and nicely let him know that they are affecting your sleep at night and ask him to try something like Mooney suggested above.

Good luck.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Fill them with cement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I heard that if you stick them to each other with super glue, they can't clang against each other.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Like these?

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Like these?

Yea.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
No, no, no.

He'll get the message.

If you talk to him first, he'll know you did it.

Words of experience..? Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post