SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lots of folks in the neighborhood getting new roofs. UPDATE: Looks like good news for us!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lots of folks in the neighborhood getting new roofs. UPDATE: Looks like good news for us! Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Do you have road hazard insureance on your car tires?

I should get a picture of a set of tires sitting on the shelf at a local Wal-Mart that have 20+ roofing nails imbedded in each.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The claims that the shingles are good for so many years is pretty bogus.

Not necessarily. Depends on the shingle, the condition of the roof and attic, and the installer.

When I bought our home in 1992 the seller had already contracted to have new shingles put on. They were going on as I was in the process of buying the home. Talked to the roofer, a well-known and well-regarded roofer, it turned out. He told me they were "25-year shingles." Sure enough, round about year 22 they were beginning to show their age. Roofer we had look at it said "about two-three years left."

Part of the reason that roof lasted was because upon having the home inspected I was informed sombody'd plugged-up all the soffit vents, which needed to be cleared, which I did, and I had two cans added.

We had Owens Corning TruDefinition® Duration shingles put on by an Owens Corning Platinum Preferred Contractor. There was sheathing replaced (mostly due to rot from the soffit vents having been plugged), cans replaced by ridge and hip vents, they ensured the soffit venting was adequate, used a high-tech underlayment (similar to Tyvec®) instead of felt, and installed snow and ice shield to three feet back from the wall line and in all the valleys.

The roof has a 50 year unconditional full replacement warranty, all materials and labour included. It's one-time transferable and warrantied by Owens Corning.

Yes, it was expensive. But it looks great and we'll never have to worry about the roof again for the rest of our lives.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

So he did what any prudent business person would do and offered to come inspect my roof. I am thinking yippy get ready to verify what this guy is saying and bust out the homeowners insurance deductible out of the safe.

Much to my surprise he said I was in luck and had true dimensional shingles and the roof looked great and without any unforeseen problems should easily get another 10-15 years out of the roof.

The company is local not a come to town after bad weather hits do some roofs and roll. They have been in business locally for 26 years.

I figure even a decent company knowing they could get a job on an insurance claim even for the smallest thing would at least suggest is. So I figure that my roof is actually god to go. So I took his card if the need were ever to arise I would at least let them be one estimate.

Yep. An honest person. And lucky for you about your own roof.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Mine was done in 2004. It looks fine, but is leaking in one spot. I'm typing this while taking a break from trying to find the leak. I've got it narrowed down to a 6 foot high by 2 1/2 foot wide section. Of course it's right over the cellar doors and no way to put a ladder up. (at least not with me on it) Roll Eyes

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My home was new in 1983 and the roof is still good.

My soffit vents had the insulation pushed over them so I installed some air vent forms to keep the insulation from the vents in 1988.

I also added another 12 inches of insulation and Rotron fans in the roof porthole vents.

Last year I had some shingles loosen from the wind so I had them fixed. But hopefully this spring a new roof will be in order.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post