SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Arrrrrgh! Credit Card Hacked AGAIN!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arrrrrgh! Credit Card Hacked AGAIN! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Had my Visa card hacked tonight. Strangely, I rarely physically use it. It’s tied to Apple Pay and my default payment on my Amazon account, and that’s primarily where I use it. Since it’s set up for Apple Pay, I get a notification on the phone when a charge appears so I found it immediately. Unfortunately, the fraud center for the card isn’t 24/7 anymore because of the beer flu, so I have to wait until tomorrow to try to get through to them and dispute the charge, and get a new card sent out.

Credit card thieves need to be strung up!

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Looks like there is an undisclosed data breach that has occurred. I got popped on Saturday and notified by USAA same day for a large attempted purchase at Best buy. The service rep said there had been an uptick very recently. Been meaning to ask our financial crimes people at work to find out what's going on.

Protip. Never ever use a debit card if it leaves your view in the transaction ie restaurants, drive thrus, etc. ATMs are a different story. I'm sure everyone here knows this but just in case anybody didn't..

Posts: 1536 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't even own a debit card. Refuse it when opening a checking account.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ok, self induced facepalm on me for making a new thread on the subject. As stated in that, I got hit by a $400 fraudulent charge on the 18th. First time I’ve had one hit in years and it was after using a local brewery’s new online order/curbside pick up. Mad

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Had my Visa card hacked tonight. Strangely, I rarely physically use it. It’s tied to Apple Pay and my ... Unfortunately, the fraud center for the card isn’t 24/7 anymore because of the beer flu, so I have to wait until tomorrow to try to get through to them and dispute the charge, and get a new card sent out.

Since you're already using Apple Pay, may I suggest you take the next step and sign up for an Apple Card? You get the same notifications, plus you can immediately kill the card and get a new number issued if it gets 0wn3d. (Getting the replacement physical card will take a bit longer, of course.) You can also lock your Apple Titanium Card and request a new card directly from your phone.

You still have to report fraud in much the same manner as any other card, though.

More info: Manage your Apple Card account
Request and activate your titanium Apple Card (incl. info on lock/unlock/etc.)

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
... I got hit by a $400 fraudulent charge on the 18th. First time I’ve had one hit in years and it was after using a local brewery’s new online order/curbside pick up. Mad

CC fraud, often resulting from compromised PoS terminals and PoS terminals with skimmers attached, has become so rampant I'm nearly to the point of beginning to carry cash, again, and use PoS terminals only when they support Apple Pay.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Had my Visa card hacked tonight. Strangely, I rarely physically use it. It’s tied to Apple Pay and my ... Unfortunately, the fraud center for the card isn’t 24/7 anymore because of the beer flu, so I have to wait until tomorrow to try to get through to them and dispute the charge, and get a new card sent out.

Since you're already using Apple Pay, may I suggest you take the next step and sign up for an Apple Card? You get the same notifications, plus you can immediately kill the card and get a new number issued if it gets 0wn3d. (Getting the replacement physical card will take a bit longer, of course.) You can also lock your Apple Titanium Card and request a new card directly from your phone.

You still have to report fraud in much the same manner as any other card, though.

More info: Manage your Apple Card account
Request and activate your titanium Apple Card (incl. info on lock/unlock/etc.)

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
... I got hit by a $400 fraudulent charge on the 18th. First time I’ve had one hit in years and it was after using a local brewery’s new online order/curbside pick up. Mad

CC fraud, often resulting from compromised PoS terminals and PoS terminals with skimmers attached, has become so rampant I'm nearly to the point of beginning to carry cash, again, and use PoS terminals only when they support Apple Pay.

Thanks, but no desire to get the Apple Card. I have enough cards.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I receive email in less than a minute when there is any transaction more than one dollar on my Capital One card. Other features include 1.5% cash back on all purchases, and the ability to create as many virtual cards as I want to, for use with online vendors.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket72:
Looks like there is an undisclosed data breach that has occurred. I got popped on Saturday and notified by USAA same day for a large attempted purchase at Best buy. The service rep said there had been an uptick very recently. Been meaning to ask our financial crimes people at work to find out what's going on.

I wish USAA had been more closely monitoring our Visa credit card. Its our back up card and we don't use it very often. Wife used to on Hotels.com in Feb for a trip in Mar to Costa Rica. Haven't used it since. Was checking my accounts yesterday and noticed that we owed $500+ on the card, which seemed odd, since we had paid off the bill a month ago. Took a look and there were another $600 pending charges that were to a couple of hotels and some other places. Total of 9 charges with 2 small fishing transactions to make sure the card worked.

Called USAA and explained so they canceled the card and now we wait for a replacement. No hurry as it is the backup card.

Thieves suck, there is just no way around it. I really do wish the credit card companies would prosecute this wide scale theft, it should be pretty easy to track the scumbags doing it and if they put a few of them in jail for lengthy periods of time MAYBE it would slow some of this theft down.

Thieves suck.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Just checking my AmEx activity and see a Pending Charge for $1.25 with the merchant name of "Restaurant".

Called AmEx, some phony sounding restaurant in Nebraska. New card on the way, again.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I found the solution to gas station skimmers. My local station (where I buy all my gas) is also a "quik stop"/deli, with a drive up window. I drive up, give them my drivers' license, to say which pump I'm going to pump from, then go inside where their terminal takes Apple Pay.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I found the solution to gas station skimmers. My local station (where I buy all my gas) is also a "quik stop"/deli, with a drive up window. I drive up, give them my drivers' license, to say which pump I'm going to pump from, then go inside where their terminal takes Apple Pay.
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but it looks to me as if there's a potential problem here.

Scenario: You go to the drive-up window, tell them you want (for example) pump # 3, go inside, use Apple Pay, come back outside and see that somebody else has arrived and is using pump # 3.

What we called a "race condition" back in the telephone switching system design days.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Twice in a month for me. A pair of generators bought from a LOWES in TEXAS. Bought online, then picked up.$1800 or so.

Go to Bank, get a new card, fill out paperwork, etc.

Three weeks later, haven't used the card at all, check my account and theres three separate charges from a LOWES in Kansas. $2900 this time.

Go to Bank, same scenario.

I'm not exactly Sherlock Holmes but I'd imagine with a little snooping at cameras in and outside those stores one could find the culprits. They simply don't even try.

WHY some folks are charged 20+% interest I guess?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having been hacked several times I no longer use debt cards . Credit cards online & a new form of payment called cash. Cash is a wonderful new form of payment as it can not be hacked & its upper limit is only what you have on hand. No approval is necessary. Also the retailers could lower their prices & banks get less money.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happened to me this past weekend. Luckily I caught them when they were in the "small purchase let's see if it works" stage. They only made two purchases for $2.25 and $18.75. USAA alerted me and I happened to be on my phone when they did, so I disapproved the charges and they suspended my card. Called them and they are issuing me a new card.

Yes I wish they would investigate this more as well. It seems like there is zero deterrent when they don't even investigate.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Someone tried to buy over $5000 worth of stuff on my CC nearly three weeks ago. Chase caught it and declined the purchase. It was a company that sells face masks from what I could tell.

Then my local USPS fools apparently lost the replacement.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Sorry brothers. You know? all the divisiveness and shit these days... There is probably one thing we can all (left/right/centre) agree or get on board with is this shit. Lets get FBI/CIA/NSA/SF/Seals/Rangers/NASA fuck it everyone on board, go 100% full retard and crush this shit, make some examples; confiscate some serious money and assets and redistribute it back to the victims. I think we can all be on board with that. Even ass hat-hats like NP and AOC would agree its all for the best

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had my Citibank Costco one hacked....But the costco membership is also on the back of the credit card......go to the gas pump. Scan card, not valid......have to go into the store, stand on line to get a temporary membership pass, then shop, then go to the gas pump again......then the next day I start getting emails of things that aren't going through because payment is linked to that credit card.......pain in the rear.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm angry that the Chase phones are not open on weekends! Sat afternoon I got a "Did you make this purchase?" email, I hit NO!, then they said log into your account using this link.

Yeah, that's when I looked CAREFULLY at the message, it used a Chase address but looked fake. Naturally, I called them (using the number on my card) but THEY DON'T WORK ON WEEKENDS!

We logged into the account (no, not with the bogus link), there was no purchase, and I forwarded the phishing note to the Chase abuse people. But I'm still PO'ed they don't have one single operator working on a Saturday afternoon!

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I have a Chase Freedom card... received a text regarding possible fraud of $1000 from Sweetwater Sound... replied No, card canx, new card on the way.

Logged onto account yesterday morning, found additional $400 from Sweetwater sound...

Called today because they are only open during the week..... An additional $1000, and $600 to... Sweetwater sound.

All removed, new card on the way.

Googled and found Sweetwater sound is an ebay store.... never had anything to do with them.

It is beyond time for some agency to start nailing these folks.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post