SIGforum
Arrrrrgh! Credit Card Hacked AGAIN!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/2700081964

April 20, 2020, 08:40 AM
PHPaul
Arrrrrgh! Credit Card Hacked AGAIN!
That's twice since January.

I don't remember the sequence last time, but this time I made a purchase from Ebay and the next day two unauthorized purchases show up from some hipster clothing store in California.

Navy Federal is good about dealing with it, but it's a pain in the ass having to get a new card every few months.

I'd like to catch one of those card hacking fuckers just once. Me, it and a baseball bat, a locked room and no cameras...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
April 20, 2020, 08:44 AM
Leemur
Oh that needs to be recorded and distributed far and wide with the understanding that anyone caught will suffer a similar fate. Mad
April 20, 2020, 08:45 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Oh that needs to be recorded and distributed far and wide with the understanding that anyone caught will suffer a similar fate. Mad

As long as I have immunity, I'm down with that. I'm thinking knees and elbows as a starting point and then get serious from there.

April 20, 2020, 09:22 AM
V-Tail
It would really be great if the email that acknowledges the order would show the name and address where the eBay vendor is shipping the items.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
April 20, 2020, 09:34 AM
urbanwarrior238
Just happened to me also. I am set up with the security notifications and they called to see if I had just made a purchase at a gas station. I told her I was still in my pajamas and didn't know where the city was were card being used. Card cancelled but now waiting for new one. AND now have to call all businesses that I have set up for auto pay. Thats the bitch of it.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member
April 20, 2020, 09:52 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
That's twice since January.

I'd respectfully suggest perhaps you need to reconsider how you're using your cards?

quote:
I don't remember the sequence last time, but this time I made a purchase from Ebay and the next day two unauthorized purchases show up from some hipster clothing store in California.

This is why I always use PayPal on eBay and anywhere else I can on-line other than established merchants I feel I can trust. When I don't use PayPal I nearly always use my Apple Card.

I know a lot of folks here don't like PayPal for their anti-gun policies, but I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
April 20, 2020, 10:35 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

This is why I always use PayPal on eBay and anywhere else I can on-line other than established merchants I feel I can trust. When I don't use PayPal I nearly always use my Apple Card.

I know a lot of folks here don't like PayPal for their anti-gun policies, but I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.

I don't like PayPal for the amount of information they want to set up an account. Pretty hard to buy as much stuff on-line as I do without a credit card. I only shop at established businesses and if I have ANY reason to be leery, I err on the side of caution. Apparently, I need to add Ebay to my "nope" list.

April 20, 2020, 11:12 AM
Patrick-SP2022
Some banks offer virtual credit card numbers for online purchases.
Citibank for example.

It's an extra step to use them, but you can control the max amount and the expiration date of the number being generated.

This has worked well for me.

April 20, 2020, 11:27 AM
parabellum
I had these kinds of problems in the past. My CC company now provides an app (mobile and PC) for the card- track activity and all that. The really great feature, though, is that I can lock my card at will, so I keep it locked unless I am about to make a purchase. As soon as as the transaction is complete, I re-lock the card.
If I had any reocurring charges on the card, these bypass the lock, so, having the card locked except for a five minute window to use it solved the problem.

I tried making a purchase online with the card locked. It's simply declined.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
April 20, 2020, 12:00 PM
C-Dubs
Have the same problem this year. I’m on my 3rd debit card this year.
1st time, some Netflix transactions from Doha, Qatar went through. Got a new card.
2nd time, just 3 weeks ago, a transaction from Australia... got another new card.

Wish my bank offered some sort of service like that boss. That would be ideal, being able to keep it locked at all times except a timeframe I could set.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
April 20, 2020, 12:33 PM
WaterburyBob
Debit cards should not be used online. Use a Credit Card - you have less risk to your bank account and more protection from the card companies.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
April 20, 2020, 01:20 PM
C-Dubs
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Debit cards should not be used online...

That’s just it, I only use my debit card in person. So I have no idea how how my cards were compromised unless there was a skimmer present

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
April 20, 2020, 02:09 PM
229DAK
PHPaul - NFCU does allow you to freeze your credit card, if you choose to use that feature.

April 20, 2020, 03:00 PM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
PHPaul - NFCU does allow you to freeze your credit card, if you choose to use that feature.

Can you freeze/unfreeze it instantly (more-or-less) like Para does?

April 20, 2020, 08:45 PM
Fdan
I realize it's very hard to actually catch and convict credit card and computer hackers but sometimes it has been done. A 15-year, no parole sentence, very widely communicated might help reduce the problem. Second offense, 20+ with no parole. Seems draconian but what we're doing now sure as hell is not working.

April 21, 2020, 12:24 PM
navyshooter
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

As long as I have immunity, I'm down with that. I'm thinking knees and elbows as a starting point and then get serious from there.

or as an old MAC I once served with told me..."Shipmate, you catch the fucker that stealing peoples shit here I'll swear to God he fell down every ladder on the ship trying to get away......

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi
April 21, 2020, 01:08 PM
cruiser68
I use an app with Capital One like para mentioned. What I also like about it is I get alerts when something out of the ordinary shows up. Asks if I just made this purchase. If I click yes it goes through, no, it doesn't. At first I thought it a little annoying but my card gets hacked about once a year. Now that UI use the app, the card has not been hacked.
April 21, 2020, 01:24 PM
229DAK
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

Can you freeze/unfreeze it instantly (more-or-less) like Para does?

Yes. Go to your Account Summary screen and click on your credit card. Then just underneath "Freeze Card", click "Manage". You'll see this:

April 21, 2020, 03:00 PM
smlsig
I had a similar thing happen to me last year and in addition to that we have decided to use one of our credit cards for reoccurring purchases like our electric and cable bills.

Anyway, I set up about 6 different payments on this card from reputable companies and then locked the card away in my safe. We do not use it for anything else (have other cards for other purchases). The credit card is set up on autopay so that when we (hopefully) travel we don’t have to worry about our utilities being cut off etc.

So far, so good.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
April 21, 2020, 03:43 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
I had a similar thing happen to me last year and in addition to that we have decided to use one of our credit cards for reoccurring purchases like our electric and cable bills.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks. I am going to do that. Informing all those companies is a ROYAL PAIN, and with that system it minimizes the risk.