SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Trying to buy new windows
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to buy new windows Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted
We have been in this house for 24 years, current windows were in when we bought it. Seals on 2 of them have broken so we’ve been looking. We have had a few estimates with a big range of prices. One of those companies is Home Depot. 14 windows total with the picture window counting as 3 of those.

During the initial consultation with the HD sales guy , he tore our new couch by putting his weight on the the cushion, separating it from the back. We got it repaired for $55 since it was still under warranty. We are still waiting for the lady at HD to call us since she’s been on vacation.

In spite of the couch we decided on HD for the windows due to price. We had the sales guy come out this morning to finalize the deal. Well, on the quote the nimrod left off one of the windows with the bad seal thereby raising my quote. I politely told him thanks, but no thanks. It’s only about $600 more but it’s the principle of the thing. Time to consider other options.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is actually more than the principle. If a business deal starts off like this, it does not get any better. I had two of my double hung windows replaced after nine years as they have a lifetime warranty. The company installing them was out of business, but the manufacturer honored the warranty. I had to pay shipping costs, but they were very cooperative. They arrived unbroken and a local contractor put them in for me for minimal cost.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
New construction or retro?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think there would be some decent contractors around Massillion. I would look down the road to the Amish for having them replaced, they are usually very reasonable with their prices and do great work. We did however have Pella do all of our windows and although they are expensive we couldn't be happier, in fact several years later we had them replace all of our doors. I'm down near Steubenviile Ohio and that is why I mentioned who I did.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Renewal by Andersen.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I've been quoted $750 per hole in this damned barn. So let's see, %20 of the purchase price is glass... Damn between windows and a roof I'm halfway into this place again. I guess if I reside they'll throw in the framing, plaster, plumbing and wiring for free.

But it has that antebellum charm, right here in the frozen northland.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are a handyman/DIY type and you have double hung windows in your house, I would recommend you look into sash replacement kits. Much more affordable and you don't lose any of your "daylight opening" which insert replacement windows are sure to do. Double hung windows have been standard sizes for decades so almost any of the replacement kits will work.

Did it once myself when we had a 1924 "handyman" house in Roanoke, VA. (Disclaimer that I do windows and doors for a living and got my sash kits at manufacturer cost, but I did get a house full of low E vinyl clad wood sash kits for $50/opening) I would expect that something similar today, from a big box store would average out to about $150/opening.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Our house was built in the 50’s and it’s a ranch style so nothing too difficult. I just don’t understand how you leave off one of the windows we specifically said needed replaced. I left a message for the sales manager to call me, we will see if he does. I’ve dealt with the Amish in the past, unfortunately they aren’t nearly as cheap as they used to be.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Home Depot do my windows once. They lasted about 10 years before leaking and molding. I ended up installing mid-grade Pellas. 18 windows for 8k at Lowe's, all standard size double-hung. Install was quick and easy. On the other hand, they fucked up my door this winter so badly, with so many delays, I got a full refund. I called Pella directly and had them replace it.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had good luck with the big box stores. They may have the best prices but the contractors locally for plumbing and carpentry leave a lot to be desired. Like your insurance company when it comes to your health, the primary concern of the big box store seems to be LOW COST PROVIDER.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I would check with a few (real) lumber yards that the contractors and builders use. They will, more than likely, have quality windows well below the price of the TV advertisers and big box stores. The local lumber yards probably have access to quality installers as well. That is the way we handled it on our last house. Excellent windows, excellent installers and excellent price.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I would check with a few (real) lumber yards that the contractors and builders use. They will, more than likely, have quality windows well below the price of the TV advertisers and big box stores. The local lumber yards probably have access to quality installers as well. That is the way we handled it on our last house. Excellent windows, excellent installers and excellent price.

This, find a good, local, reputable. Window contractor that has been in business for at least a decade.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I had Home Depot do my windows once. They lasted about 10 years before leaking and molding. I ended up installing mid-grade Pellas. 18 windows for 8k at Lowe's, all standard size double-hung. Install was quick and easy. On the other hand, they fucked up my door this winter so badly, with so many delays, I got a full refund. I called Pella directly and had them replace it.

Well that would suck. The windows have a lifetime guarantee but not something I want to deal with in 10 years. Home Depot is eating the cost of the extra window. They are also having another consultant come out today to re-measure as I asked them to do. I have no confidence in the last guy. I’ll do some checking around on the lumber yards also.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been quoted $750 per hole in this damned barn. So let's see, %20 of the purchase price is glass... Damn between windows and a roof I'm halfway into this place again. I guess if I reside they'll throw in the framing, plaster, plumbing and wiring for free.

But it has that antebellum charm, right here in the frozen northland.

I feel your pain. I have over 50 windows, all original to 1908.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with Johnny 3eagles. Check with local lumber yard. Several years ago we bought Anderson 200 series windows and had them installed by a handy man type who knew his business and did this regularly.

These were complete new windows, not the replacement type. Caulked and insulated with new window trim.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

This, find a good, local, reputable. Window contractor that has been in business for at least a decade.

Agree with that.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My Daughter looked at replacing the windows in her house. She had a salesman come and gave her an estimate in the 33K range.
Next time, with a different company, I was there and the pice came in at 17K.
Last I ever it was just me, plus the notes and terms picked up from the last time. Think the estimate was 9K.(numbers were what I sort of recall)
It was quite an eye opener.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Our house is about the same age, 22+ yrs. We had one large window replaced last year, frame was rotting seemingly due to long term leak.

The replacement was ‘Infinity’ by Marvin. I would just replace the few as needed. Some windows live an easier life, under overhangs, whatever.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We had a known contractor, with a good history, replace all our windows with Anderson 200 Series a few years ago. Except the big window in the family room. That's 400 Series.

We've been pleased with them so far.

We had the same contractor replace the bay window in the living room about 2-3 years before that. Still pleased with that window, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Window salesmen are snake oil carnival barkers.

last time I had some guys come out to give their spiel, they gave the whole presentation. Then the money discussion started. It was a small house, started at $12k, after a while it fell to $6 if I agreed "right now"

At that point I told them to leave, you tried to rip me off for $12k at the start, obviously you are full of shit and I don't feel comfortable doing business with someone who just proudly admitted they were trying to rip me off for twice the price.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post