SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Trying to buy new windows
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to buy new windows Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I need new windows, how easy or difficult is it to install the windows myself? Im pretty handy and completely remodelled my kitchen last year. I ripped out the floor down to the joists, installed new floor to include ceramic tile, rebuilt 2 walls, hung all new drywall, paint, hung new cabinets, ran plumbing to sink and ran dedicated power to dishwasher and microwave oven. Project came out near perfect so Im not afraid to tackle windows.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I need new windows, how easy or difficult is it to install the windows myself? Im pretty handy and completely remodelled my kitchen last year. I ripped out the floor down to the joists, installed new floor to include ceramic tile, rebuilt 2 walls, hung all new drywall, paint, hung new cabinets, ran plumbing to sink and ran dedicated power to dishwasher and microwave oven. Project came out near perfect so Im not afraid to tackle windows.

I had all of my old awning windows installed with PGT impact windows, I was absolutely in shock at how fast they changed them. 30-60 minutes a window, including removal, installation, and caulking them in.

They took bolt cutters and simply cut all of the hinges and crap on the old windows and then unscrewed the frames from the house with a screw gun and had them out in no time. Then had a bunch of synthetic spacers and literally lined them up with the right thickness spacers and screwed them into the block with tapcons. When they were all installed they caulked all of the seams. Wood frames would probably be even easier with self tapping screws.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I priced out windows as well, it is not hard to install windows on your own it is just a pain in the ass.

In the end I went with Home Depot, waited for a promo to pop up and got 20% off and 24 months financing on them.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post