SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    HOA Foreclosure - Update Page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOA Foreclosure - Update Page 2 Login/Join 
posted
First off...not me

My SIL who, by best description is an arrogant, self entitled "know it all" and is always the smartest person in the room, just ask her, is possibly losing her home today and my wife and I are trying to wrap our heads around what's really going on as she is hitting recently widowed MIL up for yet another "loan" and we do not think she is being honest.

A while ago SIL got into trouble with her HOA over the fact she let her yard go to shit. There were plenty of warning and then fines all of which were ignored. She claimed to have settled with them last year and no one heard another word.

Yesterday she hit MIL up for 10K and said if she doe not get it she will lose her home. MIL gives her money and we wont even discuss that she and her spineless husband make about 150/yr combined but live paycheck to paycheck.

Wife thought something seemed off so I looked on the county recorders site and saw that a notice to forclose was filed in July of last year and an actual forclosure in October. It would appear, based on language in the foreclosure that she had a 6 month window which expired and house might be getting auctioned off today.

I, thankfuly, have never had to deal with this and yes, it is BS that the HOA can initiate a foreclosure of unpaid fines however I also know my SIL and my guess is her dangerous mix of arrogance/ignorance finally bit her in the ass.

Question(s) - If it is at this stage will she have to bid on her own home to get it back? Is there anyway of reversing this when it has gone this far?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevmo,

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “and yes, it is BS that the HOA can initiate a foreclosure of unpaid fines”.

I’m good with that. The HOA needs some teeth to keep property values up. Your SIL sounds like a case.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Re: “and yes, it is BS that the HOA can initiate a foreclosure of unpaid fines”.

I’m good with that. The HOA needs some teeth to keep property values up.

Dont get me wrong, this is 150% her fault and started with a plenty of chances to rectify the issue which she chose to ignore and now it looks like it could very well cost her the home.

I am also pro hoa to an extent as I have seen what neightborhoods turn into without them and honestly, I would not wan my SIL in my neighborhood, she is a slob and it shows al around her home, inside and out.

My primary concern in the whole thing is that she is milking money out of MIL and, if shit really does hit the fan she, her husband and their 4 unruly dogs will end yp living with MIL which will not be food thing.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
yes, it is BS that the HOA can initiate a foreclosure of unpaid fines

By your own admission, any "facts" from SIL are suspect. It's entirely possible she's also not paid her dues in years, etc. Love or hate HOAs, if you live in one you knew it coming in and damn well better play by their rules in that regard.

Were you able to verify from the foreclosure info it was actually by the HOA? Sounds like it's also possible she's not paying mortgage, taxes, etc. from what you describe.

Agree that your MIL should be cutting them off and should have some time ago, but sounds like that's not happening and she's sucked into enabling them endlessly. The facts of the current supposed crisis are irrelevant - the SIL is just a leach. Sorry to see that for anybody.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was ble to go to country recordes site and it October there was a judgement and foreclosure ordering sale of home for an amount owed to HOA of $4000.00 but that is all I could find.

I told my wife that there is NO way they didnt know this was coming and had not been served and or ignored certified mail.

My wife told her mom not to help them as it seems like every few years they get themselves in a bind and need to be bailed out.

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
First off...not me

My SIL who, by best description is an arrogant, self entitled "know it all" and is always the smartest person in the room, just ask her, is possibly losing her home today and my wife and I are trying to wrap our heads around what's really going on as she is hitting recently widowed MIL up for yet another "loan" and we do not think she is being honest.

A while ago SIL got into trouble with her HOA over the fact she let her yard go to shit. There were plenty of warning and then fines all of which were ignored. She claimed to have settled with them last year and no one heard another word.

Yesterday she hit MIL up for 10K and said if she doe not get it she will lose her home. MIL gives her money and we wont even discuss that she and her spineless husband make about 150/yr combined but live paycheck to paycheck.

Wife thought something seemed off so I looked on the county recorders site and saw that a notice to forclose was filed in July of last year and an actual forclosure in October. It would appear, based on language in the foreclosure that she had a 6 month window which expired and house might be getting auctioned off today.

I, thankfuly, have never had to deal with this and yes, it is BS that the HOA can initiate a foreclosure of unpaid fines however I also know my SIL and my guess is her dangerous mix of arrogance/ignorance finally bit her in the ass.

Question(s) - If it is at this stage will she have to bid on her own home to get it back? Is there anyway of reversing this when it has gone this far?

While I'm generally not a fan of HOAs the are able to step in when arrogant people like your SIL decide to stop maintaining their property.

I certainly understand your frustration that she is bailed out by MIL rather than taking responsibility.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
I certainly understand your frustration that she is bailed out by MIL rather than taking responsibility.

She is 52 years old with a 67 year old husband who dare not speak his mind and they have been getting bailed out by her parents as long as I have known my wife. My FIL recently passed and when MIL goes she will be screwed with no safety net. This whole thing frustrates my wife to the point she doe not even want to be around her sister.

I am just trying to figure out if there is any way she is going to be able to save the home at this point

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sound like juveniles living in adults bodies:
  • sign a legally binding document without reading it
  • unread legally binding document requires you to mow your lawn, use a weedeater, and maintain landscaping
  • ignore HOA multiple notices of fines and legal notices
  • ignore legal notices for foreclosure
  • can’t manage to budget to live on $150k and have to run to Mommy

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Sound like juveniles living in adults bodies:
  • sign a legally binding document without reading it
  • unread legally binding document requires you to mow your lawn, use a weedeater, and maintain landscaping
  • ignore HOA multiple notices of fines and legal notices
  • ignore legal notices for foreclosure
  • can’t manage to budget to live on $150k and have to run to Mommy

• I was President of my last HOA and as much as we took huge steps to not be like a typical HOA and allow people to live their lives it always amazed me how many grown adults, most of which were not first time buyers, could buy a home, move in and they act totally shocked to even find out there were rules.

The only reason I hope she somehow pulls out of this is so she does not burden MIL with having to move in.

Funny side note - SIL was the one, a few weeks ago, when we were helping MIL with estate planning, who wanted to self manage all her investment accounts and was mad when my wife and I shut her ass down.

posted Hide Post
    The problem with the HOA is symptomatic of a much larger problem. Similar behaviors are characteristic of those with addictions of various types as well as Personality Disorders. It is very hard to help people such as this unless they are willing to acknowledge a problem and actively participate in finding a solution. It is difficult when this sort of problem exists in a family. Good luck.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The only reason I hope she somehow pulls out of this is so she does not burden MIL with having to move in.

You've got to be kidding me? How is that even an option? They are 67 & 52, making $150,000 per year. Go get a freaking studio or one bedroom apartment. $15,000 per year for rent another $5,000 for utilities. If they can't live off the remaining $100,000 (after taxes) they are retarded.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Skins2881:
    they are retarded.

Truth

You do not know the fights and issues the fact that this idiot does not have the ability to function has caused. She has sucked off the teet of my inlaws for years and it is simply pathetic.

My wife and I discussed that when her mom goes and the dust settles she and her sister will be well taken care of, not wealthy, but taken care of and we know that the sister will piss thru her money at breakneck speed then be alone and broke.

Firearms Enthusiast
    Picture of Mustang-PaPa
    posted Hide Post
    The forced sale of the home sounds odd to me.

Really thought all they could do is put a lien against the property which would have to be settled before it could be sold.

Got to more to it then just $4,000.00 it would seem.

Boy if they get into your MIL home to live it will be hell to ever get them back out.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
    The forced sale of the home sounds odd to me.

Really thought all they could do is put a lien against the property which would have to be settled before it could be sold.

Got to more to it then just $4,000.00 it would seem.

Boy if they get into your MIL home to live it will be hell to ever get them back out.

I would have thought so to except there has been a lot of media coverage in AZ about HOA's ability to foreclose and the court records were public info so I was able to read them

Picture of rocket72
    posted Hide Post
    What state are they in. There may be some right of redemption statutes.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by rocket72:
    What state are they in. There may be some right of redemption statutes.

Maricopa County AZ (Phx)

The court doc says the redemption period is 6 mos and the doc was recorded on 9/27/17 so by my best guess they are barely within that window

Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    Re: “I am just trying to figure out if there is any way she is going to be able to save the home at this point.”

If your SIL promptly pays the various fines and fees, including the cost that the HOA incurred to initiate the foreclosure process, I’d say that it’s 90% probable that the HOA will terminate the foreclosure. Talk to the HOA!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Plowing straight ahead come what may
    Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
    posted Hide Post
    I second what Pipe Smoker posted...is there enough equity to get a second mortgage to satisfy the debt and avoid foreclosure...how's their credit? With that kind of income, unless she/they are really upside down financially, I wouldn't suffer a forclosure and all it brings (unless this is some sort of sick "plan").

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
    Making the best of what ever comes our way
    Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
    Plowing straight ahead come what may
    And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
    Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    Maybe reading this info will give you some insight on the possibilities.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-enc...oa-foreclosures.html

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    It sounds like you're in the middle of drowing people who are still flailing around. That's a dangerous situation for you to be in.

Your SIL, you MIL, and her husband, they may be not smart people but they're adults and they're responsible for their own lives. Unless one or both parties ask for your help expressly, you can't help them. It's not in your backyard.

Some things, the less you know, the better it is for you. This is one of those cases.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post