SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Caught someone using my garbage can
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caught someone using my garbage can Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The airport I used to use when I commented to the Birmingham area had a dumpster in the hangar area. Padlocked. You had to ask them for the key.

I asked whether they were afraid that somebody was going to steal the trash. They did not understand Yankee humor.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Calgary, I had a detached garage that backed up to an alley. The alley is where our trash was picked up and we all kept our 90 gallon cans in the alley. I found an asshole taxi driver using my trash can several times. He was a slob and wouldn’t get it in all the way so the lid closed and I’d end up picking up trash. If my trash was overflowing, I would also get billed extra.

The last time I caught him dumping, I chased his POS cab down the alley with a baseball bat. Never had a problem again.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
If I saw someone else's trash in my can, I'd be going through it to find an address. The entire bag's contents would then end up in their yard or at their front door.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Next door neighbour on one side decided to stop paying for trash pickup and just started dumping it on her property... until someone called the township about it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
In our area, we pay Our Fair City a fixed amount for trash pickup.

That's how it is in most cities, at least for residential trash service.

For those members that might be confused about why this would be a big deal, city trash service and rural trash service are very different animals.

In the city, typically everyone (or almost everyone) has residential trash service that's either performed by the city or contracted by the city, and each home pays a fixed monthly rate as part of their utility bills. Most areas it's not optional. So it's usually not a big deal if that bit of trash goes in your can or your neighbor's can (within reason). It's all the same to everyone.

But in rural areas, a resident will usually have to find and pay a private trash service for trash pickup. The cost of the service is usually higher than city trash rates, and is also often variably dependent on weight/volume/frequency. This means that lots of rural folks choose not to pay for trash service, for various reasons. The more conscientious ones without trash service recycle what they can and burn the rest in burn piles or burn barrels. The assholes take their trash to someone else's trash can or dumpster, as in the OP's case, which may end up costing the owner of the can/dumpster more money. The dirtbags just dump it somewhere on their own property, effective turning a portion of their land into an unlicensed landfill. And the real shitheads dump it somewhere out in the boonies on someone else's land, or on the side of the road.

quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Dump trash at local PD doorstep.

And when the PD checks their camera footage, who are they going to see driving up and dumping trash on their doorstep? Then when they come knocking on your door to inquire about this, what's your response going to be? "Well... he did it to me first?"

If you want to notify law enforcement about the situation, that's definitely not the way to go about it.

Relax buddy - its a little humor. And nobody said anything about dumping it all over the place.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The last time we had a new roof, the roofing company had a dumpster delivered to our driveway a couple days before the work started.

A BUNCH of trash had been deposited in the dumpster before the worker guys even arrived to start stripping the old shingles.
The dumpsters at Our Little Airport, placed by the Owners Association, with service paid for by association members' dues, used to be on the entrance road. They would fill up quickly with trash being deposited by non-airport users.

The dumpsters were relocated to an obscure location on an interior taxiway, where they were not visible to casual observers. The amount of trash from outsiders is now almost zero.

when I was a grocery store manager, I would need to order an open top dumpster on occasion to dispose of excess trash, displays etc that had accumulated ,

each and every time I would use about 1/2 the space, and any and everyone filled it with 'stuff',,

except when I ran a couple of stores in an economically depressed area,
those areas, if it was recyclable for $$$ it was taken, they would gladly empty a dumpster of all metal, cardboard, and anything else wortha buck

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I have a dumpster at my business. Nothing huge, just a 6 yard dumpster which gets emptied twice a week.

Most of the time I'll find the odd bag of household trash on a Monday morning (I am closed on weekends) but one Sunday I came in to do some maintenance and found an entire live oak tree cut up and stuffed in my dumpster. I was pissed. Had to unload the tree onto my trailer and pay to dispose of it.

Bastards.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
I have a dumpster at my business. Nothing huge, just a 6 yard dumpster which gets emptied twice a week.

Most of the time I'll find the odd bag of household trash on a Monday morning (I am closed on weekends) but one Sunday I came in to do some maintenance and found an entire live oak tree cut up and stuffed in my dumpster. I was pissed. Had to unload the tree onto my trailer and pay to dispose of it.

Bastards.
Dumpster does not have a lockable lid?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What, no video?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't use of another's dumpster be a theft of services? File a criminal complaint if you can get name & address.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Ha! Where I worked, we kept the dumpster within a locked chain link area, and the dumpster itself was locked. Lucky me had keys to both the fence and the dumpster. Our motive was to deter dumpster diving. Little did they know I was one of the worst offenders. Big Grin

Here at home, last summer, I heard the sound of a residential "can" going up the road. It was early and the trash hadn't been picked up yet. Sure enough, some one had stolen our can. Talk about a low life.

And long ago, like 30 years, the club I belong to had problems with people dumping on our property. We'd give chase if we saw them, but they usually had a good head start. So one weekend, we saw a guy doing it. Tried to chase him but he got away. The sheriff was called and the uninterested deputy did show up. He said if we wanted to go through the bags, he'd wait. Sure enough, we got a handful of junk mail. So we loaded up a truck of it and took it to the address, with the good deputy standing guard. And when we got to the address, there was the vehicle we'd chased. The deputy told us to unload it by his drive in the yard. The guy came out yelling and the deputy told him we didn't like his garbage either.

Then he told the guy he had his choice. He could keep his trash and we'd all leave. Or he could keep raising hell and we'd take it back with us, but he was going to jail. He decided to keep his own trash. Better still, the problems along our road stopped.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
Wouldn't use of another's dumpster be a theft of services? File a criminal complaint if you can get name & address.

Exactly what I was going to say....theft of services.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
If I saw someone else's trash in my can, I'd be going through it to find an address. The entire bag's contents would then end up in their yard or at their front door.

Happened to me once, and I did just that. Packed their bags into the back of my truck, and deposited them at the end of their driveway.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I hope you slit the bottom of the bags after setting them down. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also add a couple of fish to the garbage, smells really good in the heat...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
Also add a couple of fish to the garbage, smells really good in the heat...

Crabs have got to be the worst. Back in MD, blue crabs from the Bay were popular and plentiful, and when someone would dump their crab detritus in a dumpster, man, that would stink for days.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz
Crabs have got to be the worst. Back in MD, blue crabs from the Bay were popular and plentiful, and when someone would dump their crab detritus in a dumpster, man, that would stink for days.

So it smelled like a whore house.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post