SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My wife is going to the Hamilton musical
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My wife is going to the Hamilton musical Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
got offered free tickets to the musical Hamilton

I was offered a pair of free tickets when it came to CA on its first go around and I refused them. Folks thought I was nuts, but they were libs who were dying to go.

A friend last week emailed me about a show in San Francisco last month. How incredibly stupid.

quote:
Three people were injured at a San Francisco performance of the musical Hamilton last night after someone in the audience yelled out the word “Gun!” in the crowded theater.

quote:
Early indications are that a boy in the audience had a seizure when a gunshot sound was enacted in the play, perhaps confusing the audience.

quote:
They then panicked, sending other audience members scrambling. The on-stage cast retreated backstage.

Three people sustained non-life-threatening injuries. A woman in the audience had a heart attack and is in critical condition.

“There was no one with a gun, there were no shots fired, at the end it was a medical emergency,” said San Francisco Police Captain Renee Pagano.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/h...-injured-1202558949/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
It is a hit job on the reputation of one of our founding fathers.

It's not. He was imperfect, and the show touches on that. More so, it celebrates his contribution to the war effort, being Washington's 'right hand man.'.

Act II focuses on politics, and his role in creating the nation, battling the Jeffersonians, etc.

It also touches on his relationship with his wife, his mistress, his son, and of course Burr.

I don't think most people walk out of that show thinking they just watched a piece on how shitty Hamilton was. he wasn't made out to be the villain.

I have not seen it, but that was my general impression - the show itself is not overtly or particularly political.

I am sure that many or most of the people involved are more left leaning than we are. But, what has that got to do with the show itself? There are lefties at Nabisco, but I still buy Oreos.

It isn't even very "rap." I have seen many scenes from the show. It is very lightly rap in character - this isn't gangsta rap.

I don't much care for Broadway musicals or rap-lite, but it wouldn't be the politics of the writer, cast and crew that would keep me away. It wouldn't be the politics of the show, which I think are not particularly on display.

If my wife wanted me to go with her, I would. She has gone to see things with me that she was less interested in than I was.

I have the strong feeling that most opposed have no idea of what the show is actually like, and mostly object to what they think the politics of the people involved are.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and kids saw the show as a Christmas gift. I paid a pretty penny. All enjoyed it and we continue to enjoy the music. While none of my family are bleeding hearts, they enjoyed the show for what it is - entertaining fiction.

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:

It's not. He was imperfect, and the show touches on that. More so, it celebrates his contribution to the war effort, being Washington's 'right hand man.'.

Act II focuses on politics, and his role in creating the nation, battling the Jeffersonians, etc.

It also touches on his relationship with his wife, his mistress, his son, and of course Burr.

I don't think most people walk out of that show thinking they just watched a piece on how shitty Hamilton was. he wasn't made out to be the villain.

I have not seen it, but that was my general impression - the show itself is not overtly or particularly political.

I am sure that many or most of the people involved are more left leaning than we are. But, what has that got to do with the show itself? There are lefties at Nabisco, but I still buy Oreos.

It isn't even very "rap." I have seen many scenes from the show. It is very lightly rap in character - this isn't gangsta rap.

I don't much care for Broadway musicals or rap-lite, but it wouldn't be the politics of the writer, cast and crew that would keep me away. It wouldn't be the politics of the show, which I think are not particularly on display.

If my wife wanted me to go with her, I would. She has gone to see things with me that she was less interested in than I was.

I have the strong feeling that most opposed have no idea of what the show is actually like, and mostly object to what they think the politics of the people involved are.

The ivory tower critique is that the show makes Hamilton and other characters far more progressive than they actually were. How much of that is playwright and how much is from Chernow's book is up for debate. Angelica Schuyler was not the feminist the musical portrays. Unlike how he's portrayed in the musical Hamilton was not pro-immigrant. He was as hypocritical as many abolitionists of his day. He was an elitist who wanted the presidency to be a lifetime appointment with monarch like powers. The pro-immigrant, anti-slavery, DEMOCRACY yeah! view presented in the musical is pure fiction.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:

The ivory tower critique is that the show makes Hamilton and other characters far more progressive than they actually were. How much of that is playwright and how much is from Chernow's book is up for debate. Angelica Schuyler was not the feminist the musical portrays. Unlike how he's portrayed in the musical Hamilton was not pro-immigrant. He was as hypocritical as many abolitionists of his day. He was an elitist who wanted the presidency to be a lifetime appointment with monarch like powers. The pro-immigrant, anti-slavery, DEMOCRACY yeah! view presented in the musical is pure fiction.

Are you telling me that Oklahoma ranch hands weren't really like Curly McClain?

That there aren't any singing lion cubs?

RIchard III didn't really offer to trade his kingdom for a horse?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Wear your MAGA hat...that should trigger some people. Big Grin Seriously, I've heard it's decent. I just haven't looked to see if it's toured in the Houston area yet. But as another said (and I know it probably wouldn't be the same cast members), I don't appreciate how VP Pence was treated with TOTAL lack of respect when he attended, hence I won't support their "product"...I'd rather spend my hundreds seeing Chicago in concert. In all honesty, I'd say stay home where it's warm and watch "John Adams" off Amazon Prime. It was a REALLY good series. But I know your tickets are already purchased...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Man I’d probably go. Even with the BS leftists slant and message these things can be fun from time to time. At the very least it’s an experience. I have a brother who is in the arts and we had a VERY interesting conversation on the push in Opera to remove (pretty much delete) potentially offensive productions like Madama Butterfly because of Japanese cultural appropriation (it’s a damn good opera) and fun, EXTREMELY comedic productions like The Mikado (one of my favs) because they are not pushing a message or relevant to a cause enough. This kind of propagandizing of the arts only erodes it’s support.

Hamilton could have enjoyed MUCH more success if it didn’t make a point of pushing people away. Sure, it’s been a success but by and large people in the arts are not living large...they should occasionally refrain from shooting themselves in the foot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Politics aside, I would probably relive my reaction to the play, Cats. Had free tickets and box seats so I took my teenage son. After the first ten minutes, we looked at each other and I said, "Well, I've seen enough. How about you ?" That was the end of that.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couldn't pay me enough to go to a musical of any kind. Similarly, the minute singing starts in a movie, I am out of there. After 21 years of marriage, my wife knows better than even ask. She is more than welcome to take a friend or our daughter, but don't make me feel bad for saying he'll no.

PS. Not one penny of my money goes to Hollywood (no theatre, no video, no HBO, no pay per view, etc...), Broadway, or entertainers like Spingsteen. I am not paying them to attack my rights.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I would much rather go see Shakespeare than a musical.

The only 2 musical movies I can stand are Rocky Horror Picture Show and Little Shop of Horrors. Most animated Disney movies are watchable, too.

Musicals just don't hold my interest and are downright annoying at times. Hamilton doesn't seem that interesting.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OTOH, the success of the musical saved Hamilton’s portrait on the ten dollar bill. Big Grin

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The story is basically trying to remind people about Hamilton. He’s portrayed as the almost forgotten founding father.

The story is only political if you care about the late 1700s politics.

The music and delivery often remind me of Will Smith telling the story.

It was entertaining and overall good, but not as much as the hype would lead you to believe. The tickets are definitely overpriced.

The touring cast was more diverse.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post