SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A small thing, now a big deal
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A small thing, now a big deal Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
18 June Update

In a couple of hours I am heading to surgery to (hopefully) repair it.

The ortho said the procedure should be arthroscopic, but like all docs hedged that with a but we may have to slice you open like a walrus carcass...

Here's to hoping its arthroscopic, and successful.

Four weeks ago I lost my balance when installing a ground-spiked solar light to mark the edge of the driveway.

A small thing, one might think. Fall, get up, dust yourself off, and motor on.

Nope. Not moi.

I lost my balance on the edge of the drainage ditch that runs across the front of my property. It's not much of a ditch, perhaps 18" deep, with the place were I was standing another 12-16" above the top of the ditch.

So out I go, with a push trying to clear the 24" wide ditch.

Lacking sufficient velocity I crash into the far edge, about which I pivoted, slamming my left shoulder into the pavement, full force. It hurt. A lot. As in my first thought was I'd broken the head of my humerus.

Turns out I have a double, full thickness tear of the rotator cuff, with a torn biceps tendon to boot.

I have surgery in two weeks to repair the lot.

But the injury and surgery isn't why I post this lament, it's what I'm missing as a result.

I am going to miss seeing The Glitch Mob at Red Rocks Ampitheater in Colorado. I am also not going to get to drive up to Wyoming the next day to shoot my 6.5 Creedmore AR-10 while spending my limited vacation time under the starry skies because I'm not to fly until mid-July, and not to shoot pistols, rifles, or shotguns left handed (which I am) until the end of September at the earliest.

All from putting a solar light in.

FUCK!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig2340,

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Get well. Sorry.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

I hope you have a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
And THAT, boys and girls, is what a worthy complaint looks like.

I feel for you, amigo. I feel. Your pain. Now, send that AR and the tickets on over, and I will act as your proxy. It's what a friend would do, in a biblical kinda sense.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Here is to your quick and full recovery.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
And THAT, boys and girls, is what a worthy complaint looks like.

Agreed -

OP, sorry about your troubles - heal up and I hope you get the chance to make up your lost vacation.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That well and truly sucks!

I am sorry for your misfortune and wish you the best.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You probably will have to undergo 4-5 months of physical therapy three times a week with a professional to get full movement in that arm/shoulder.

BTDT.

I wish you full recovery.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had one shoulder replaced (injury) and two rotator cuff surgeries on the other, one was a complete tear wired back together.

All three times, the surgeon met me in therapy the next day. Had me start moving it.

Do exactly what the surgeon and therapist tell you to do.

Guy I know didn't. Now he has a frozen shoulder.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
best wishes for a quick recovery.

thank those watching over you that you are not a
pro athlete and won't be missing the first half of the season

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your accident and resulting medical issues.

As others have already said, listen to your doctors, therapists!!!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That totally sucks. You'll remember this as 'The Lost Summer' from now on. I wouldn't worry about the surgery. It's the therapy that will be the bitch. I hope it all goes well for you.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Hope you heal quickly.

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
You ARE the winner.

My 91 yr old Mother did a similar fall two weeks ago, in her house, on the hardwood floor. Broke something up in her shoulder. I'm here taking care of her.
In a sling, but today we did get a better report from the Ortho guy and she IS in less pain.

Best of Luck to you for a speedy recovery.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That sucks. Here's to a quick(as possible) recovery.

Listen to your docs and physical therapist. Do what they say. Repairing shoulders, knees, hips and such have become pretty standard these days. A huge part of your recovery is you and doing what they surgeon and therapist tell you to.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
You ARE the winner.

My 91 yr old Mother did a similar fall two weeks ago, in her house, on the hardwood floor. Broke something up in her shoulder.

< snip >

Please extend to your mother my hope and prayers for her speedy recovery.

And let me extend to you my hope and prayers for her speedy recovery and your continued sanity. Taking care of aged, injured or ill parents is always a challenge.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Hey man,

I assume you already have a surgeon, but if you don’t let me know

I have a prosthetic shoulder that was installed in my late 30s, and my surgeon is local to you (us)

Good luck regardless...do....all....your....therapy

I didn’t go from from 0 to prosthesis...I had several shoulder surgeries before I got to where I am.

So if you need someone to commiserate with my email is in the profile

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope surgery and recovery go well. As was said above listen to Dr. and therapist.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
I wrapped my clavicle around a tree during a MTB race years ago. It was a challenging rehab. I hope that yours goes well.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a way to screw up your summer.
Wife has been having dizzy spells, related to hay fever and flying.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post