SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Jack Russell Terrier
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Russell Terrier Login/Join 
posted
Why must you escape???
You have an acre plus of fenced yard and woods to explore. There is a four foot net wire fence to protect you from coyotes. There is a hot wire to keep you from digging out. There is a hot wire to keep you from climbing.
You wear a Whistle3 collar with wifi and cellular tracking so we can find you when you escape.
Am I going to increase the fence height? Probably. You must be a record holder for vertical fence jumps.
Do I need to put a shock collar on you?
Damn.
Somebody give me some ideas.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
Yes. It worked with one of my hounds that couldn't seem to grasp he was not to jump the fence. I watched him closely and drilled him on two separate occasions when he attempted to jump the fence, and that seemed to cure him. After that, he would sit and stare at that fence as if to say, "Nah fool. You ain't getting me a third time". Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
I have a Jack Russell. One of the best dogs I have ever had. Mine can clear a 6 foot fence as if it was never their. I am very lucky that mine only needs a good scolding to keep him in line. Good luck with yours. They are great dogs but can be a handful. Wink

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1484 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Long, long, time ago, I had a little beagle mix girl who found me and adopted me after her former people had just dumped her and her puppies along side the road. We never found the puppies, but she was lactating.

We lived in a country area and she had free run of the place.

When we moved to Puerto Rico for a work assignment we rented a house in the San Juan metropolitan area. She would wander the neighborhood, making friends with everybody (she could bark bilingually), but I could never figure out how she got out of the yard that appeared pretty secure to me.

One day, our neighbor told me that she had observed my dog climbing the fence. I did not believe her, thinking that the neighbor lady's English was her second language and maybe she was confused between "jump" and "climb."

Then one day, I saw the dog climb the fence, just like a cat would do it. She just started climbing, scrambled up, got to the top, and jumped down to the "freedom" side.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
When I was a wee tad we had a beagle "Twinkles" that could climb a chain link fence as easily as a monkey would. My dad finally took him to live with a nice farmer. At least that's the story we heard.

Might have been related to my dad repeatedly having to walk through the neighborhood hollering "Twinkles" when the dog escaped.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
JRT are smart.
The harder you try to keep them out of the great outside the more they know that there must be something really good out there. Smile

I read somewhere that most dogs realize that there is a great outside at around 7 or 8 months old and start trying to get out there and will get over it at around 16 months but my JRT never got out of the escaping phase.

If you chased her you would never catch up to her but fortunately if you pulled up in the car, opened the door and called "lets go for a ride", she'd get excited and jump right in.

One thing that did help was giving her things to do in the yard. Ours had a soccer ball that she loved to play with. She would bat it around the yard for hours. As it lost air she could get a bite on it and would throw it up in the air and then chase it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a JR Terrorist prior to kids and spent a wonderful, decade-plus together. Loved Ally so much. Drove me up a wall many times with escapes, and just generally doing whatever she wanted to do at the time. We adopted another dog mostly just to keep Ally from running off so much, no shit! I felt like she was bored and needed some companionship while we were at work.

Loyal, would defend me from a bull, and might get the bull to go WTF...is this dog confused? 15 lbs of solid muscle. Very smart and our girl was totally an Alpha who would take command of most dog relationships in a matter of seconds. I think she ran the house frankly...lol.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I broke down and ordered the underground fence with the shock collar to attempt to keep him in the already fenced yard. I'll install it ASAP. Just adding to the layer of defenses to keep this little nut out of the road. He loves to play dodge car. He's been lucky so far and I don't want to push it any further.
Next option will be to increase the fence height above a JRTs vertical capability. Seven hundred feet of fencing ain't gonna be cheap.

I did have him in a shock collar when he was indoor only with outside leash only adventures. He HATED the collar. At the first beep he went the other way. I hope it is a strong enough deterrent to make him forget the squirrel, rabbit, deer, or turkey that he sees in the yard.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have a Brittany who's an escape artist up to and including the knowledge of how a deadbolt works and if he had thumbs, could unlock the door consistently instead of by luck.

He's four years old and about six months we got him neutered. At the same time his shock collar arrived. About the time the cone of shame came off the wife and I set up the collar's range. She (Mrs GTO) puts the collar on the boy and calls him out just past the range. The boy, knowing something was up, wouldn't follow or leave the house so the Mrs pulls him out. That boy yelped like I've never heard him.

Now the boy knows when he hears the collar chirp he needs to get back in the house. Oh and he's never run away since (beach day allows him to run free which he enjoys). Until I saw this I was totally against a shock collar but with a smart dog, only the first training shock is needed. Just heading it chirp is deterrent enough.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your containment with your Jack Russell.

Having Siberian Huskies, I know all too well the ploys and schemes of dogs escaping. However, my fear once they escape is the neighbors chickens or calves. 6 ' fences are minimum height for Siberians, with electric wire at the base of the fence.

And that is no guarantee.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Lol, with our cattle jack cross I remember my husband putting nails in firring strips face in, to keep her from digging at the bottom of the fence. For what it was worth.

I loved that dog. As I love them all, but she was definitely special.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I didn't want a dog. Said I'd get one when I found one that would pet me. My daughter asked for one and held out for two birthdays. She got a JRT, didn't want a dog that just laid in your lap. It became my dog when she went to college. Loved that little surly shit. He almost made it to 15.

Active just barely describes it. Stubborn as hell. A few philosophies I developed having a JRT:

They wish to please their masters as much as any other dog, they either don't know or don't care that following directions pleases their master.

Walking a JRT on a leash is like flying a kite in a tornado.

When Ringo would escape, or was off tether outside, calling him didn't even result in him turning his head to look at you. Total ignoring. You'd have to find him and corner him or surprise him. You'd see a white flash off in the distance about every 15 minutes until he decided to come home. When you chased him he'd just look at you like "Come on let's go, you think you have a chance?

I by chance got some great advice from a JRT owner at a gun show. When he was young and very restless you could calm him by a tight hug.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Jack Russell Terrorists can fly. There’s no fence they can’t clear.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
When I was a wee tad we had a beagle "Twinkles" that could climb a chain link fence as easily as a monkey would....

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
Yes. It worked with one of my hounds that couldn't seem to grasp he was not to jump the fence. I watched him closely and drilled him on two separate occasions when he attempted to jump the fence, and that seemed to cure him. After that, he would sit and stare at that fence as if to say, "Nah fool. You ain't getting me a third time". Smile

Ran coon hounds in the 90's and had a shock collar for one of them. He would climb the fence to go run in the woods when he felt like it.
Took 3x but he finally got it. They can be a useful tool.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bray Wyatt:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I have a Brittany who's an escape artist up to and including the knowledge of how a deadbolt works and if he had thumbs, could unlock the door consistently instead of by luck.

He's four years old and about six months we got him neutered. At the same time, his shock collar for dog arrived. About the time the cone of shame came off the wife and I set up the collar's range. She (Mrs GTO) puts the collar on the boy and calls him out just past the range. The boy, knowing something was up, wouldn't follow or leave the house so the Mrs pulls him out. That boy yelped like I've never heard him.

Now the boy knows when he hears the collar chirp he needs to get back in the house. Oh and he's never run away since (beach day allows him to run free which he enjoys). Until I saw this I was totally against a shock collar but with a smart dog, only the first training shock is needed. Just heading it chirp is deterrent enough.

Is it really safe??

Yes.

Before putting it on the dog, I placed it on my wrist (on its highest setting) to feel what would happen.

Best way to describe; remember how a 9v battery feels on your tongue? That is the best description I would have for the feeling on my wrist.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

remember how a 9v battery feels on your tongue?
quote:
From an episode of "Night Court," in which Bull is struck by lighning:

[Bull was just struck by lightning. He is found on the couch, his clothes still smoking]

Harry: Bull!

Bull: Mind if I smoke?

Christine: Doctor, is he all right?

Doctor: That depends. What did he look like before?

Mac: Just like that.

Doctor: Well, then he's fine. Spooky, but fine.

Harry: Fine? Art said his heart stopped beating.

Doctor: Well yes, for a few minutes he was clinically deceased.

Bull: But I'm feeling much better now.

Dan: Really? You look dead on your feet.

[He laughs; glares from everyone]

Dan: Oh, come on. If we can't laugh at the walking dead, who can we laugh at?

Doctor: It's a miracle he wasn't even hurt. With the voltage he absorbed, it must have been like French-kissing a light socket.

Bull: No, that feels different.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was Bull on his couch? The one made of concrete?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man. That seems pretty weak.
I have collars for my two dogs. I shocked my calf on the highest setting and it feels like the muscle is going to be ripped apart.

[/QUOTE]Best way to describe; remember how a 9v battery feels on your tongue? That is the best description I would have for the feeling on my wrist.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzNM6ZEko9A

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post