SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Ryan Gosling Movie “First Man” About Neil Armstrong, Omits American Flag Moon Scene
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ryan Gosling Movie “First Man” About Neil Armstrong, Omits American Flag Moon Scene Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
“It’s a human achievement, not just an American one” Gosling says after being questioned why the iconic scene was omitted from the movie.

Well, you can take your “human achievement” and shove it right up your PC ass, because I’m never, ever going to watch it! Mad

I hope this flops in a spectacular fashion.

Neil Armstrong movie 'First Man' omits the American flag being planted on the moon, and star Ryan Gosling defended the decision

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosling = dumbass! I don’t recall the rest of humanity contributing to the US Treasury when we were competing with the Russians to be first on the moon, but I do remember my payroll taxes going there. Obviously playing dress-up for a living doesn’t require either knowledge or a high IQ.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
That hack had one good movie, "The Place Beyond the Pines". Human achievement my ass. It was an American achievement, one that hasn't, and probably never will be duplicated by any other nation in my lifetime. Perhaps ever.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Anyone who doesn't understand why omitting the American flag is wrong does not understand the real reason that we ever made it to the moon. The reality is that our moon landing had as much to do with national pride as anything else. We didn't land on the moon because we wanted to further humanity or science. We did it because we wanted to prove we were better than the Russians.

We went there to plant that flag.

And at the time we needed to. No matter how misplaced someone thinks that motivation may be it IS the real motivation and should be recognized. Even the democrats poster boy JFK understood that.

This is revisionist history plain and simple. We put that flag there to prove we won and anyone who doesn't understand why that mattered at the time should not be involved in a movie about the event. Fuck them all.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Moon Landing was a singularly American Achievement.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Anyone who doesn't understand why omitting the American flag is wrong does not understand the real reason that we ever made it to the moon. The reality is that our moon landing had as much to do with national pride as anything else. We didn't land on the moon because we wanted to further humanity or science. We did it because we wanted to prove we were better than the Russians.

We went there to plant that flag.

And at the time we needed to. No matter how misplaced someone thinks that motivation may be it IS the real motivation and should be recognized. Even the democrats poster boy JFK understood that.

This is revisionist history plain and simple. We put that flag there to prove we won and anyone who doesn't understand why that mattered at the time should not be involved in a movie about the event. Fuck them all.

Yep. They thought they had us whooped with Sputnik and Yuri Gagarion. We rolled up a newspaper and smacked that bear across the nose.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I wanted to like this movie as Neil Armstrong is a hero of mine.

I own a copy of "First Man" (the book) - IIRC it's the only authorized bio of Neil Armstrong and yes, Neil was a humble guy, but I don't recall any mention in the book that he was ashamed of planting the American flag on Lunar soil. IIRC it was somewhat of an afterthought and it wasn't something they had practiced doing, which is why they had trouble hammering the flag pole into the soil.

Even if you feel that it would somehow be "offensive" to foreign viewers (so what...), it's important because it part of the reason why there are no photos of Neil on the moon. Neil was supposed to give the camera over to Buzz Aldrin after the flag was planted but had forgotten to do so as President Nixon called the Apollo 11 astronauts after the flag was planted and as they were on a tight scheduele Neil forgot to pass the camera to Buzz.

Yes, we did it "...for all mankind" and yes, Neil was a humble man, but Apollo 11 was the greatest engineering and scientific achievement of my lifetime and I'm damn proud that us AMERICANS did it.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Dude is good at pretending. I like his other films.

But that's some bullshit right there.

I hope the movie flops.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Flag scene or no, why would you bother paying to see Hollywood's twisted version of the moon landings? Why would you pay to see any new movie from Hollywood?

These people hate you. Don't give them your money.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I watched the original moon landing live on the nightly news for free.

As I recall, they planted an American flag.

The only foreign aspect of that flight was the Swiss Omega Speedmaster watches.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The only foreign aspect of that flight was the Swiss Omega Speedmaster watches.

Don't forget Hasselblad! Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they filmed it at the same movie set that was used for the original landing.... Big Grin

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I wonder if they filmed it at the same movie set that was used for the original landing.... Big Grin

Hahaha!

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Flag scene or no, why would you bother paying to see Hollywood's twisted version of the moon landings? Why would you pay to see any new movie from Hollywood?

These people hate you. Don't give them your money.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
I wanted to like this movie as Neil Armstrong is a hero of mine.

I own a copy of "First Man" (the book) - IIRC it's the only authorized bio of Neil Armstrong and yes, Neil was a humble guy, but I don't recall any mention in the book that he was ashamed of planting the American flag on Lunar soil. IIRC it was somewhat of an afterthought and it wasn't something they had practiced doing, which is why they had trouble hammering the flag pole into the soil.

Even if you feel that it would somehow be "offensive" to foreign viewers (so what...), it's important because it part of the reason why there are no photos of Neil on the moon. Neil was supposed to give the camera over to Buzz Aldrin after the flag was planted but had forgotten to do so as President Nixon called the Apollo 11 astronauts after the flag was planted and as they were on a tight scheduele Neil forgot to pass the camera to Buzz.

Yes, we did it "...for all mankind" and yes, Neil was a humble man, but Apollo 11 was the greatest engineering and scientific achievement of my lifetime and I'm damn proud that us AMERICANS did it.

-Tom

When I first heard about the 'no flag shown on the moon' controversy I thought for the briefest of moments they may have left it out to keep from 'appearing to disrespect the flag'.

hold on, hear me out.

From the book First Man, IIRC Neil stated that it was blown away when the ascent stage of the LEM took off. For the briefest of moments I thought that showing the flag being blown away would be upsetting and that was why they cut it out. But then reality and my cynicism returned, and I realized that no, it was done on purpose. Because for some reason these idiots hate America.

I am really starting to hate all this political / history re-writing crap.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
From Twitter / Chuck Yeager - Verified account @GenChuckYeager 5h5 hours ago - "That's not the Neil Armstrong I knew"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
They also left the flag patches of the flight suits, and moved the ones on the space suits down to the elbow area, where it could be easily blocked out of the frame or have it blocked by something.

French director. Maybe he should have made a film about the greatest French achievement....

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Leftist Liberals and their bull shit, we probably should apologize for going to the moon.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Huh. Good to know...thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just have to wait for it to get on Netflix or Amazon Prime. If it never hits either of those two, then guess what...no loss of sleep here. Libs NEVER turn down an opportunity to bash America...simply astounds me.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post