SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Ryan Gosling Movie “First Man” About Neil Armstrong, Omits American Flag Moon Scene
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ryan Gosling Movie “First Man” About Neil Armstrong, Omits American Flag Moon Scene Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I really do not care about any actor's political leanings if he is good at his craft. I can choose not to listen to the Academy Awards if I want. I am just waiting for the John McCain blockbuster film next year.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Surprised they named it “First Man”...seems offensive to the wimmins

Maybe “First Person” would be better

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
French director. Maybe he should have made a film about the greatest French achievement....

I was curious so I looked. Here are some of the things the French invented:

* stethoscope
* pencil sharpener
* etch-a-sketch
* hot air balloon
* mayonnaise
* braille
* pasteurization
* metric system
* metronome
* ram jet engine
* smokeless gunpowder
* pedal powered bicycle
* submarine periscope
* aspirin
* wingsuits
* the first national Air Force

Still not a man on the moon, but not too shabby.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
French director. Maybe he should have made a film about the greatest French achievement....

I was curious so I looked. Here are some of the things the French invented:

* stethoscope
* pencil sharpener
* etch-a-sketch
* hot air balloon
* mayonnaise
* braille
* pasteurization
* metric system
* metronome
* ram jet engine
* smokeless gunpowder
* pedal powered bicycle
* submarine periscope
* aspirin
* wingsuits
* the first national Air Force

Still not a man on the moon, but not too shabby.

There was a time when the French set "the standard" for most things cultural and scientific. The royal family of Russia spoke, for a time, better French than Russian. Even in our own War of Independence, French was a common language between American-born officers and many of the foreign volunteers (including Baron von Steuben.)

Now, not so much.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget crepes.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking Cultural Appropriation.

Taking the success of America and claiming that success is representative of the world as a whole is bullshit.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosling is correct; it's a human achievement, but ego and pride issues aside, the entire focus of getting to the moon was a cold-war race to show who was first. We certainly didn't spend the money and effort we did just to collect grey rocks.

To leave out planting the US flag on the moon leaves out the central reason for going there in the first place. It was certainly one of mankind's great modern achievements, and Armstrong did say as his rehearsed statement that it was a giant leap for mankind.

Planting the US flag on site, however, was perhaps the single biggest act of the entire landing; it was for that planting that the money and effort was spent, and lives lost along the way. More than national pride, it was a symbol to the world (and the cosmos), and the clearest statement that could possibly have been made; no historical account of the moon landing should omit the planting of the flag.

It's a bit like struggling to climb Mt. Everest, then turning around and going home ten feet from the summit. What's the point?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It is was a 'human' achievement as much as anyone's personal bank balance is, and non-participants deserve just that as much credit for the moon landing as strangers have to withdraw your funds at the ATM. Wink

I am thinking the reason they didn't do that in the movie is that these days the international market for films is as large as the domestic, and the producers didn't think recognition of the American accomplishment would help revenues overseas.

So, IMO, business decision.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
We choose to go to the Moon! We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too.

Gosling's and Hollywood's actions totally negate those words. Jeezus...even Jack was patriotic and had some stirring speeches. As a side note, I did not realize he made that speech in Rice Stadium right here in good ol' Houston!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nero
posted Hide Post
Better served/entertained watching archival footage of the real thing.

nero

Posts: 4639 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
From what I read the flag is in the movie you just don’t see him plant it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

To deny the public, ESPECIALLY those not yet born at the time of this event, the display of an historic milestone is egregious at best.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
To deny the public, ESPECIALLY those not yet born at the time of this event, the display of an historic milestone is egregious at best.
No, you have the forum members mixed up. Dusty78 made that remark, egregore did not make it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:

* mayonnaise

There should be a statue erected to the man that invented this.
If not a national holiday.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:

* mayonnaise

There should be a statue erected to the man that invented this.
If not a national holiday.

agreed,

maybe a big bronze bottle of Duke's,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Menorca, France is where it would likely be.

The Duke in Duke's mayo is actually Armand de Vignerot du Plessis (but his name was too long for the bottle?).

Too bad Heinz took the pickle off of their label last year. Catsup was made from pickles before it was made from tomatoes, it was common knowledge back then that tomatoes were toxic. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
The last time I was in Menorca it was Spain, not France.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
The last time I was in Menorca it was Spain, not France.

Yup, My bad. This is what happens when I'm distracted. Guessing that Les Mayons was what I had been thinking. Good thing I don't give directions as a day job.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
As the story has been told and retold so many times, and as there are so many better sources for good information on the real details of this historic event I'm not in any hurry to see this movie, especially if it can't do the story of the real people involved justice.

But this movie could serve one particular role well, in sharing this story with a generation who wasn't born when it occurred...but it can't do that if it isn't willing to relate the simple fact that it was a uniquely U.S. effort that accomplished this great feat.

Going to the moon was indeed a human achievement and all of mankind should take pride and revel in awe at this human accomplishment, but it would not have been possible without American motivation, American commitment, American tax payer dollars, American sacrifice and American lives lost.

The movie didn't need to the focus on the raising of the U.S. flag on the moon and I'll bet that it could have been included in the plot taking up no more than a minute or two of the story.

Omitting this small but significant event from the movie is akin to telling the story of Iwo Jima and omitting the raising of the U.S. flag on Mount Suribachi.

But, just to counter balance the movie director and Ryan Gosling's point of view keep in mind that not all Canadians feel the way they do. Canadian Gordon Sinclair's radio speech of an editorial he wrote 4 years after the Apollo 11 crew landed on the moon. Much of what he spoke of still holds true today.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwv-dndrMDE

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post