SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Molly the dog not well, hard decisions ahead...Sad conclusion on page 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Molly the dog not well, hard decisions ahead...Sad conclusion on page 2 Login/Join 
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
A sad confession to you my friend,I waited to long on a couple that were crying to go,Still haunts me to this day forty years later,stupid me with my first poodle that was down and unable to walk and crying in pain and I did not do this for him.Then again to another,may God forgive me.
The last ones died in my lap with the vet attending to them at home.
Its hard as I type in tears about it after all these years.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about Molly's condition.

You've done everything you could. Tough decisions can be merciful ones.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. All I can say is you know when it's the right time.

Went through something similar with my lab. He was always happy to see me and would wag his tail every time even when he couldn't get up and walk outside on his own.

One of the hardest things I have had to do even though I knew it was the right thing to do.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
This is the day all dog owners dread. Hopefully I can lighten the mood.

I use to have a Rottweiler. Great dog, my wife's first pet. We had our first son, and even though the dog was old and blind, he loved our son like it was his own. My son was about 18 months old, and use to climb over, on, around the dog, but the dog loved him as one of the pack.

One night, my wife who was pregnant, woke up. I can't remember why. Anyways, I walk downstairs, and step in a big wet spot, next to the dog. I muttered some obscenities, and pushed on him with my foot to wake him up and get him outside. When I did this, it was like trying to move a 130lb bag of concrete, bolted to the floor, and possibly superglued, duct taped, and stapled to the floor for good measure.

I knew what happened. I sat on our ottoman, taking in the fact my dog had expired, peacefully in our home. This was my dog, I had dogs growing up, but this was the first dog that was mine, the first dog I raised as a pup, and brought into my one person family. My family then expanded into a three person family. Four if you count the dog, but he couldn't count very well.

My wife came downstairs, she wasn't aware of the situation. Before she said anything, I stood up, and said something like, "Shut up. The dog is dead". We were both numb. I brought down a blanket, and somehow got him on top of it. I had a lawn tractor, with a trailer, and I drove it up to our front porch, and put him in the trailer. I had to go to work, but I was able to call a local funeral home to come pick him up and we had him cremated. A few days later, we got the ashes, and I buried him next to his favorite tree.

They say things happen in threes. In the course of three days, we lost our dog, we lost our unborn baby, and we had to take our son to the emergency room. The rumor of things happening in three's is false. A few months later, the tree where my dog was buried, died. With the help of my brother in law, we had to cut down that tree skillfully, with a chainsaw and some profuse swearing.

I have no doubt my dog is waiting for me at the end of The Rainbow Bridge.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers to you both. I recently lost my pup. I feel your pain and wish you peace.

Posts: 95 | Location: Virginia | Registered: February 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to say goodbye to Molly yesterday. She was a fighter and we tried many things to keep her with us but in the end she was getting worse and I had to do what was best for her.

She was truly one of the best dogs I ever had and we had that "bond" where she could almost read my mind. I was lucky to have found her and spent the time I did with her in my life.

In the end I was happy that my vet is one of the most compassionate i have ever been to and I was able to hold her head in my hands, look into her eyes and talk to her the whole time.

Thanks again for the advice and support.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I had to say goodbye to Molly yesterday. She was a fighter and we tried many things to keep her with us but in the end she was getting worse and I had to do what was best for her.

She was truly one of the best dogs I ever had and we had that "bond" where she could almost read my mind. I was lucky to have found her and spent the time I did with her in my life.

In the end I was happy that my vet is one of the most compassionate i have ever been to and I was able to hold her head in my hands, look into her eyes and talk to her the whole time.

Thanks again for the advice and support.

My condolences are with you. I had to make that decision for my best friend Molly a few years ago and it really is difficult to do. I'm glad you were able to be with her at the end, just as I was with my Molly.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I am sorry Kev.

Molly is at peace. I know that you will miss her terribly.

They are such good friends, and their time with us is too short.

I miss my Pippi girl.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
sincere condolences

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My condolences, Kevmo Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
She will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

You gave her a caring and loving home; no dog could ask for more.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
She will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

I agree 100%. She’ll be there for you just like our 8 pals, that are already there, are waiting for my wife and I.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing. She knows. So sorry
for your loss.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
My heart breaks for you. As I said earlier in this thread we sometimes have to do terrible things in the name of love.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Really, REALLY sad to hear that, Kevmo. I'm so sorry for your loss. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing, though I know it was difficult. Molly is at peace and I hope you find consolation in that.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Sorry for you and Molly!They give so much it makes the end worth it! Hang in there. I remember putting down our first test child as one of the toughest days of my life.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the loss of Molly. I have had those sad experiences, too.

45Cal, I have done the same thing you did. I just kept hoping and praying that something would intervene or change and waited too long.

I don't feel guilty about it, since I think my baby realized I was trying to help it, but I haven't delayed again when that time came.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry for your loss, Kev. I'm praying for your peace & comfort at this difficult time.

I've got many friends over there for her to meet. Rest easy.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:

I've got many friends over there for her to meet. Rest easy.

That's a great thought right there! Never thought of it in quite that way. Hope there is dog heaven, they certainly deserve it IMO. Hopefully my lost family members will be there to play with Molly!

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post