SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Molly the dog not well, hard decisions ahead...Sad conclusion on page 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Molly the dog not well, hard decisions ahead...Sad conclusion on page 2 Login/Join 
posted
A little while ago i had posted about my dog Molly and her medical issues...Sadly, 2 different vets, a bunch of money and a gaggle of pills later she has declined to the point where I know that it is time to face some tough choices.

Last vet visit about 10 days ago they had to drain 7lbs of fluid from her gut, put her on more drugs and told me a bland, high protein diet. She did OK for a couple of days but the bloat started coming back, diarrhea got worse and now she is at the point when she is barely eating/drinking and just seems miserable. I did get her to eat some ground turkey/rice last night but this AM she threw it all up mostly undigested.

The hardest part is that when she sees me she still gets excited and her tail starts wagging but I know that I cannot put her through any more as it is selfish and unfair of me. On top of all that, my daughter is returning for spring break Friday and I would like to give her a chance to say goodbye as she was with me when i rescued her and Molly means the world to her as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevmo,

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, such a tough time. That is probably the toughest thing about owning pets. Your love for Molly will tell you when it's the right time.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
but I know that I cannot put her through any more as it is selfish and unfair of me.

Sadly, I think this statement sums it up. I wish I had something different to tell you, but I don’t, it sounds as though this would be the greatest kindness you could do, I’m not even very comfortable in the idea of keeping Molly with you until your daughter returns home, though it pains me greatly to say that.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
but I know that I cannot put her through any more as it is selfish and unfair of me.

Sadly, I think this statement sums it up. I wish I had something different to tell you, but I don’t, it sounds as though this would be the greatest kindness you could do, I’m not even very comfortable in the idea of keeping Molly with you until your daughter returns home, though it pains me greatly to say that.

Thanks and yes, I am calling my daughter shortly to let her know that this might not/probably will not wait for her.

My wife just called and told me she ate a little scrambled egg but then went back to her bed. I am clearing my afternoon to go sit with her and just enjoy her company in the time I have left with her

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your remaining time with Molly.

We just lost one of our dogs last Monday and it is very hard so prayers said and sent to all of you and Molly too.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I can relate to your pain because we are going through the same thing with our 16 yr old calico cat. It's never easy to make that final decision. We've been there too many times in the past and it never gets easier.

Enjoy whatever time you have left with Molly and I'm sure you will do what's right for her.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry she hasn't improved, Kevmo. Terrible thing to have to make a decision because of the body, not the mind.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. Take care.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to see the keyboard. Give Molly an ear scratch and head pat from us.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I lost my guy last May. Kevmo, this is the toughest time. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Molly and your family.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. Prayers for you both.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are with you. Sometimes life just sucks.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you're dog is having health issues. Good call to take some time off.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I went thru this as so many others here. It's never easy, and the tail wagging still haunts me to this day. It's a heartbreaker, sorry Kevmo and Godspeed to sweet Molly Frown

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I worked as a vet tech for a brief period of time. You could look in a dog’s eyes, and they knew there time was up, and they wanted to go. And as their owner, thank you for knowing and recognizing that. There were a few owners that prolonged the process because they, not the dog, were not ready to deal with it.

If it is a hard decision, you are making the correct one.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sorry Kevmo, never an easy decision, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, but I think you know what needs to be done.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
It sucks so bad and you have my deepest sympathies. We’ve had to make that call a few times ourselves. Although it doesn’t help some folks, I believe it’s the most important thing we can do for them. A day early is better than 5 minutes late. I say that because because we hesitated once and I still regret it.

Thank you for taking care of her!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a very hard decision and the times I have had to do it, I always thought first about the well being of my beloved dog. It’s difficult and I feel for you and you family. Molly will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat it here, sometimes we have to do terrible things in the name of love.

Molly sounds as though she was a great dog.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about Molly, Kevmo. Hardest thing to do...EVER! Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post