SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The rudeness of movie goers is so bad that we just don't go anymore
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The rudeness of movie goers is so bad that we just don't go anymore Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Loud talking,turning phones off and on, chattering about what happened at yesterday's party,etc etc makes me wonder why those people even bother to go in the first place. Obviously the movie is irrelevant to them and they could not care less about those of us who bought the ticket and were actually looking forward to an enjoyable evening.

Netflix and Amazon are usually an ok option but there are some flicks that do best on the big screen.

The movie days are over for the retired LEO who shot the guy who threw popcorn at him (including the guy he shot). Maybe the day will come when movie rage will be as common as road rage. Assholes are everywhere.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We quit going to movie theaters about 20 years ago. Children crying, people talking throughout the movie, people up/down more than watching the movie, overall expense, endless trailers, people talking on their phones, people kicking the seat back, sticky floors and seats, people smoking and toking.

No need to leave home now with Amazon Prime or whatever is your home viewing choice.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Gotta go on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning to the 11:00 am matinee several weeks after the movie has opened. It'll be you and MAYBE 6 or 7 other people. That's my strategy for Midway and the new Terminator... Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We went to an 11:30AM matinee yesterday for Ford V Ferrari at Star Cinema Grill here in N Houston.
Reserved seating, far from full (most of the front section was empty), mostly adults, and the seats are spaced enough that I don't think you'd notice much if anyone had a phone out unless it was set to 'surface of the sun' brightness.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Gotta go on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning to the 11:00 am matinee several weeks after the movie has opened...

Weekday evenings for us, long after the big opening. Our theater has all reserved AND reclining seats with lots of leg room, it's actually fun.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Gotta go on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning to the 11:00 am matinee several weeks after the movie has opened...

Weekday evenings for us, long after the big opening. Our theater has all reserved AND reclining seats with lots of leg room, it's actually fun.

These are the only theaters worth going to. I love I don’t need to get there super early to get a decent seat at a newer movie because you select seating ahead of time and I like the larger reclining seats

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gotta go on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning to the 11:00 am matinee several weeks after the movie has opened. It'll be you and MAYBE 6 or 7 other people. That's my strategy for Midway and the new Terminator... Smile

This the strategy I use. The theater is clean and usually there are 20-30 people max and they are typically adults only. I haven't been to a weekend or evening showing in probably 30 years.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
You want to know the worst movie I’ve ever seen in a theater based on the crowd?

They Shall Not Grow Old.

I’d bet the crowds median age was 60 and I’ve never been in a theatre with a worse group of people. People talking all over. The couple next to me kept bitching about how the movie theater was screwing up the movie because the opening part isn’t color. They bitched about the quality the whole time. Then a guy on the other side kept getting up and going to get more popcorn since he was sharing it with a whole group of people. The guy behind me couldn’t figure out the 3D glasses.

I was with a friend and frankly we found the whole thing hilarious so it didn’t ruin the experience.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
You want to know the worst movie I’ve ever seen in a theater based on the crowd?

They Shall Not Grow Old.

I’d bet the crowds median age was 60 and I’ve never been in a theatre with a worse group of people. People talking all over. The couple next to me kept bitching about how the movie theater was screwing up the movie because the opening part isn’t color. They bitched about the quality the whole time. Then a guy on the other side kept getting up and going to get more popcorn since he was sharing it with a whole group of people. The guy behind me couldn’t figure out the 3D glasses.

I was with a friend and frankly we found the whole thing hilarious so it didn’t ruin the experience.

Spot on. I saw "Midway" last weekend. Only people talking (throughout the entire movie) were the 60+ year old couple towards the back. The guy kept making comments about the history of the movie, reading aloud things that were written on screen ("USS Arizona!"), or shouting out words of encouragement to the American actors on screen. His wife continually asked "What did he say?" All of this occurred in full conversational tone, none of it was whispered.

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I don’t recall the last movie I saw in a theater. When I saw ‘Return of the Jedi’ The people sitting directly behind me wouldn’t stop gassing on about how cute the Ewoks were, their cute teddy bear appearance, their cute eyes, the cute pads on the bottom of their cute feet. I had finally had enough, turned in my seat and said “They’re probably even cute when they FUCK, but that doesn’t meant I want to hear about it from YOU! SHUT UP!” I had a couple more snarky comments directed my way and I got the glaring of a lifetime, but when a couple of other moviegoers pretty much echoed my sentiments they decided to pipe down.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

They Shall Not Grow Old.

Spot on. I saw "Midway" last weekend. Only people talking (throughout the entire movie) were the 60+ year old couple towards the back. The guy kept making comments about the history of the movie, reading aloud things that were written on screen ("USS Arizona!"), or shouting out words of encouragement to the American actors on screen. His wife continually asked "What did he say?" All of this occurred in full conversational tone, none of it was whispered.

Back when Olympus Has Fallen came out I went on a date and saw in the theater. I kept saying, probably too loudly, "we do not negotiate with terrorists" followed, eventually, by "you see, that's why you don't negotiate. "

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time I went to a movie theater to see a movie.
I will usually Redbox it and watch it in the comfort of my own home.
I can drink if I want, eat a meal possibly in front of the TV while watching. Shit, I don't even need be dressed if I don't want to.
Couldn't really ask for more. Spend more than I want to sit with rude strangers and watch a movie? Nope.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We went to see Ford vs. Ferrari last night. The theater was quite full, and the behavior of the audience was so good, we didn't even think about it afterward.

Perhaps this is because of the demographics of the audience this movie attracted?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post

full disclosure, a friend owns the Chilton House in RVA

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Every film for 2 years straight for me. I gave up in April and spent money on home theater. I’ve only been once since, using 1 of the 2 passes I have left. That last pass is getting cashed in this December for Uncut Gems. If there are phones in there or not, it’ll be my last time in the theater. The world has changed. Courtesy is gone, and people are addicted to their phones. They cannot leave that phone alone for 2 hours I don’t care what anyone says. I got into it with a guy one time and I was ready to put him in the hospital. Smacking the whole time, fucker ate a jumbo popcorn. I’m talking about the sack of popcorn meant for 2 adults and 2 kids to share. The big fucking; almost trash bag sized shit. When he got done with that, he was chewing on ice. Then fidgeting in his seat, then on the phone, texting, put it away, texting. This went on for 45 minutes when I had, had enough and told him to put the phone away and be courteous. “Excuse you I’m talking to my daughter” is what he said. Their social media apps are woking them making them believe they are special, a super stat, and they can do whatever the fuck they want. I’m only going one more time because I’ll get arrested if I keep going. 5 decades of going is over.

In the home theater I have better picture quality than the theater (4k Dolby Vision), and I have better sound (7.2.4/Dolby Atmos). I play my films as loud as I want, pause it when I want, take a piss when I want, and there is no phones, no talking, and no bullshit.
Films hit disc 90-100 days after they first hit the theater. I can wait 3 months. These people need their asses kicked.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
My wife teaches school so for 9 months out of the year she is too busy grading papers to go to a movie. We try to go during the summer months during the matinees to avoid the kids kicking the back of the seat or people blatantly using their cell phones during the movie. Also it is cheaper. The downside is that I only see movies released during the summer.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We usually go to the movies once a year, during the Christmas season to see something - usually during the day so the crowds are smaller. The kids invite a friend or two and that is about it. Sneak in candy and soda as to not get raped by the theater prices, but will buy some fresh popcorn.

That's about it. I'll wait for everything else to come out online.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Next time someone lights up their phone screen just give them a quick blast with your Fenix/surefire/etc flashlight.

Trust me, they'll get the hint, and you don't even have to utter a single word.

Ask me how I know Wink

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Next time someone lights up their phone screen just give them a quick blast with your Fenix/surefire/etc flashlight.

Trust me, they'll get the hint, and you don't even have to utter a single word.

Ask me how I know Wink

I have done this before. They just retaliated and started using the phone more. Another time everyone around me started complaining. “Put that away!”

You can leave, get an usher or worker but then your movie experienced is ruined missing 5-10 minutes of the film. I have tried everything. It’s acceptable behavior to most to use your phone during a film. It’s over man.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For just these reasons the last movie we saw in a theater was "Castaway".

Fan of Sig, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Browning, etc, etc.

Posts: 168 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post