SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Truck stop begger...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck stop begger... Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
As someone said above....2 words:

Salvation
Army

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Bill Foster (Michael Douglas): a man after my own heart.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwP2vV6Wm1Y

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once was approached on North Avenue by a guy with the outta gas story. I looked at him a minute and finally said "Dude, seriously, I've heard this three times this week. Entertain me. Tell me a story, a joke or something. I'll pay for the entertainment."

He walked off.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Here's John Stossel's take on it:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/IHoiVnID8vY

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I always liked John. He is a very bright guy, and I like his style of indignation. It is also great when you agree with him about gun laws in NYC and panhandling.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I don't respond. Period. Not even a "piss off."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Got approached one morning at a coin-op car wash.
I was on my bike, 02 bagger. Guy comes up to the rear of the stall and starts up with the "bro" routine, something that really pisses me off.

First of all, this clown is not my "bro", two people can call me that without me getting pissed off. I guess that I looked like an easy mark or maybe that he thinks that I'm one of the newer riders and that by calling me bro I will feel like I'm a real biker, part of the "brotherhood".

Been amongst the biker world since 1967 so I think I know a thing or two about it. This guy was a tramp, clear through and through. His story did not hold water, his Panhead was in storage up north. He may have had one at one time in his life but this was not the time in his life.

Anyway, sob story, just got into town the night before, no money, no place to stay and could I help out a "bro" with fifty bucks? Nice try, told him to call 211, help line in mid-Michigan for shelter,food, etc. Not good enough, just needs money.

Told him the police station is just up the street, go there for help. He didn't like my response, said "the bulls always roust me when I get to town". So clearly he has a lot more experience being a bum than a real biker.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sad part about all of this:

We're all forced to give away our money to similar people. We just don't see them get it.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Brought to you by your friendly US Government

Posts: 18 | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I don't give money or anything else to panhandlers or beggars. My standard response is along the lines of "No, I have nothing for you, move on." There are plenty of legitimate organizations that I can give money or my time that will really help people in need.

I would rather be considered a hardass than a fool.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to pass under a major Houson freeway during my morning commute. Always had panhandlers at each of 4 turn stratigic lanes. Noticed thay always had lawn chairs and coolers. One day, when running late, saw a window van pick them up after rush hour. Over the course of two years I occasionaly saw the team dropped off in the AM or picked up in the PM. It was a well organized operation with little signs advertizing various pity inducing ailments. "Disabled vet" Disabled and need money to feed my children" etc. etc. Apparently, their scam was effective as the window van was pretty nice. At least they went to "work" every day.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I were eating breakfast in the car at McDonalds in Santa Fe, couple of guys walking by change directions to ask for money, I look at them and say NO, keep coming til Pepper gets up and looks at them and give a little woof, they change their minds and keep on going. Good Dog!!

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a guy at a busy intersection a few weeks ago . He had two adorable puppies with him . The women were lining up to give him money .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I saw a guy at a busy intersection a few weeks ago . He had two adorable puppies with him . The women were lining up to give him money .

Another "hook" is beggar having a little girl at his side. Motorist will stop traffic to give out cash.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm getting some good ideas here for my next career. Puppies, little girls, ...

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
...and a monkey.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
...and a monkey.

a poo-flinger?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Great way to meet women....go walking with a puppy or "borrow" your baby niece/nephew Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

Another "hook" is beggar having a little girl at his side. Motorist will stop traffic to give out cash.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
...and a monkey.
I'll get one of those organs with a crank handle. And a little hat for you. Working together, we should be able to pull in a bundle!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post