SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    County tax reassessment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County tax reassessment Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Every few years the county has to assess real property. It's been three years, and today's mail brings a "notice of 2019 real estate assessment change." Oh, joy.

Yes, it's a good thing for my balance sheet that the presumed value of my little castle has gone up. Lovely. But that only matters when/if I sell. What hammers me instantly is the additional hundred and twenty bucks the county will bill me for twice a year.

As stated so many times before: "The Universe knows when you have a dollar." Mad

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
I just got mine reduced by almost 25k.

Saved me $118 Smile

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Our Ohio county allows for a redress with the county auditor to dispute the tax valuation. I have done this the last three times my valuation has increased, and the accepted MY estimated value of the property.
All I had to do was fill out a form online and it was done.
Contact you county auditor.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
All I had to do was fill out a form online and it was done.
Contact you county auditor.

We have a similar process. I'm not sure the increase is necessarily unfair, I'm simply a little grumpy about the increase. I'm in one of those areas where both the town and the county want a piece of my pie each year, and I'm tired of my piece getting smaller.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The county political masters just love increases in tax assessments. They get more $ to waste and can blame it on the assessors office. But please remember this: Your taxes do not automatically increase with a higher assessment: the county political masters set the budget and millage rate. Few things make me angrier than some fat county commissioner telling us that he didn't raise taxes; the assessor did! Don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
please remember this: Your taxes do not automatically increase with a higher assessment:

Perhaps not, but this letter clearly shows that I'll owe over $120 more every six months now. Wink

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, it does not just affect your county taxes but also the amount you pay your school district.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
please remember this: Your taxes do not automatically increase with a higher assessment:

Perhaps not, but this letter clearly shows that I'll owe over $120 more every six months now. Wink

Yes, that hurts.

I don't know if it a common practice or not, but my new appraisal notices in Florida list two or three scenarios:
1) Your new tax amount if the millage rate set by the county remains the same. This is the $240/yr you quote
2) The millage rate/budget amount needed to be passed by the county commissioners to keep your taxes similar to last year by not increasing spending

Now, I have no love for county property appraisers, as they can be corrupt and frequently are in this neck of Florida. But the county elected officials set the budget. Raise hell at them while you have the burn.

Good luck

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raise hell at them while you have the burn.

Indeed. From my big comfy chair, it starts with, "Why the heck does every new school in the county cost $55 MILLION, and why do we have to have a new design for each one? Couldn't we save some money on architecture costs by using the same plan for both the middle school and the high school? They're both going to be on the same ginormous plot of land.... Geeze. Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Slight “thread drift”. It seems that the Dem running for the Office of PVA has done some snooping on her Repub opponent, and a stink is in the makings; so what is new in politics.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/3932...nt-complaint-charges

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good grief, man!
Wouldn't it have been easier to simply ask the one May if he was the brother of the other May?

(Assuming that were truly the original intent....)

God bless America.