SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Being seated at events
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being seated at events Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
This has always been but it's starting to increasingly annoy me as I age.

If one is going to an event (ie - opera, symphony, play, musical, ...), I can't understand why people can't be in their seats 5-10 minutes before the planned start.

I understand situations like there was an accident on the road which delayed travel time. But if you're in the fucking lobby drinking a cocktail, why wait until the last fucking minute to be seated?

90% of the people are probably in their seats 5 minutes before start time. Now it seems the venues have to give 10 minute warnings, 5 minute warnings and countdowns to door closure.

Last event, the performance didn't start for until 10-15 minutes after the planned start time.

Why can't the venues just close the doors 5 minutes before start time and start the performance as scheduled. If you're not seated by then, tough shit.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Why can't the venues just close the doors 5 minutes before start time and start the performance as scheduled. If you're not seated by then, tough shit.

That used to be the norm, and still is at some venues (typically fancier/more exclusive). If you're not in your seat by the time the performance is set to start, you must remain in the lobby until the first break or intermission. Sometimes the ushers may allow you to stand at the back of the theater until the break.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you're not in your seat by the time the performance is set to start, you must remain in the lobby until the first break or intermission.

Wouldn't that be considered a microaggression? Roll Eyes

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Simple answer...we have become a society where there are ZERO consequences for one's actions; it's ALWAYS the fault of someone else. People are scared to enforce ANYTHING these days for fear of being called a racist or some sort if -ist. Common courtesy for others has long since been forgotten...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Newsflash, expecting people to be on time is racist. Time is merely a social construct and different cultures view it differently.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04...p-on-time-is-racist/

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Newsflash, expecting people to be on time is racist. Time is merely a social construct and different cultures view it differently.

I don't acknowledge CP time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Note to self: no hiring from Clemson.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get pissed when I go to an event and all the ass clowns around me stand up and wave their arms in the air. Went to an "American Idol" after season road show in Houston a few years back and never saw a damn thing on the stage. All the idiots, were standing, all the time for the whole event. Now you might say, "why don't you stand up so you can see"....well, why should I? Why should I then become an ass clown like all the lowlifes around me. You don't do that shat, I don't care what you say. When people pay good money to see something, then they should be allowed to "see something".

This is just another indicator showing what we have slipped to as a society. We are truly living among the ass holes, scum bags and rat bastards. Trouble is, these folks don't give a damn. To hell with them.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been to a baseball game lately? Don't people know there's 2 halves of an inning? You really need to get up and shuffle down the row with runners on and full count? And why are you even here if you are only going to stare at your phone or blab to your girlfriend?

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I will gladly stay in the lobby having a drink if it means I don't have to endure the oprah or a musical.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

I remember reading a story ~1999 about a lot of ongoing and planned municipal projects and events in Rome. Everything needed to be done in time for the millennial celebrations and church events planned for the new year. Somebody involved with the local government acknowledged the lack of progress and decided to get outside management to oversee things. He diplomatically phrased matters as needing an "Anglo-Saxon" timetable in order to be completed on schedule, as their Latin methodology wasn't working out.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post