SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Almost Got Nailed Last Night
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Almost Got Nailed Last Night Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Wife texted me from her office asking me to pick up some special cat food (cat is not doing well since her vaccination almost two weeks ago, but that is a separate rant).

I did not want to run all over, looking for it, so I checked online. Walmart, not in stock. Publix, not in stock. Amazon, expensive and a week and a half for delivery.

Checked the manufacturer, aha! Target carries this stuff. Download the Target app for iPhone and look in the local store, yup, in stock, aisle E29.

Threw on a pair of grungy shorts (don't need to dress nicely, I'm not going to Walmart) and set off for the eight minute drive to Target.

A few minutes from my house, approaching the intersection where I got nailed when Mercedes Girl ran a red light couple years ago, I had a solid green, then slammed on the brakes as I caught some motion with peripheral vision (trained pilot reflexes Wink).

A white compact sedan crossed the intersection from left to right, at right angles to me, I would estimate maybe 40 mph.

I pulled into the driveway of a closed business, wondering whether at 84 I was no longer competent to drive, but I reviewed the video on my dash camera and sure enough, I had the green, and the miscreant had sailed through his (her?) red light at a high rate of velocity.

If I had not been able to stop as quickly, another ten or fifteen feet, and I know for sure that I would have been badly injured, if not DOA.

Where the hell do these drivers come from? S/he was heading into a very large apartment complex, adjacent to, but not part of, the gated neighborhood that I live in.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are fortunate to have pilot reflexes. That kind of stuff helps out in all kinds of situations. Glad you are still a breathing member of the forum.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you're ok, I've saw several close calls lately.

People are crazy and they drive even crazier!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re still with us V ! Close calls like yours give me the willies. Don’t know if I could drive right off without shaking or soiling myself!

I used to ride a motorcycle, sometimes I’d have to walk around after a close one, work the shakes & thoughts off. Great job being very aware!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
glad you didn't get rear ended for your good reflexes

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^excellent point the way folks ride your ass.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:

glad you didn't get rear ended for your good reflexes
There was nobody behind me, so that was not a problem.

I have the habit of glancing at the rear view mirror when approaching a traffic light, and if there is anybody fairly close, I tap the brake pedal lightly. Not enough to apply the brakes, but enough to flash the brake lights, just as a "heads-up" in case I do have to stop.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You are fortunate to have pilot reflexes. That kind of stuff helps out in all kinds of situations. Glad you are still a breathing member of the forum.

Some do. When I got checked for reflexes at 16 in driver training, I set the record for fastest ever recorded at my school.

I'm now in my mid 70s and check online every year. Still about 0.22s for me, not bad for an old guy.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm not a pilot but spent many decades riding motorcycles so I have intersection awareness built into me as well. It's saved my ass a few times thankfully. I'm really glad you dodged the bullet. Us old farts don't heal as fast as the young'ns do.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Still about 0.22s for me, not bad for an old guy.

Not to drift topic, but thanks for mentioning an online test. I’m not nearly 0.22 second fast, but according to several trials my reaction “age” is well under 30, so that’s encouraging at 75.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I nearly got nailed, on foot, in the hospital parking garage this morning.

Quick follow-up for an outpatient procedure back in November. Walking from the elevator to my car in the garage (I was in the first corner space, maybe 20ft from the curb), car comes around the corner (at an appropriate parking lot speed, luckily) & just kept coming at me. No idea what the guy was distracted by (both hands on the wheel), until he saw me & stopped.
I had already started backtracking by the time he came to & stopped.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
First, glad you're OK.
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Approaching the intersection where I got nailed when Mercedes Girl ran a red light couple years ago

quote:
the miscreant had sailed through his (her?) red light at a high rate of velocity

Coincidence, or something about that intersection? Poor placement of the light, odd geometry, ?

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Still about 0.22s for me, not bad for an old guy.

Not to drift topic, but thanks for mentioning an online test. I’m not nearly 0.22 second fast, but according to several trials my reaction “age” is well under 30, so that’s encouraging at 75.

The one I went to said my 'reaction age' was 24. So I got that goin' for me.

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Coincidence, or something about that intersection? Poor placement of the light, odd geometry, ?
I don't really know. The light has been at that intersection for as long as I have lived here, 35 years. I have never had any trouble seeing it, nothing unusual that I can tell.

The layout of the intersection, Bunnell Rd. goes E - W. Pearl Lake Causeway runs N - S, and is only on the north side of the intersection, forming the stem of a T. The south side of the intersection, where Pearl Lake Causeway would be if it extended all the way through, is a private, non-city street, that is the entrance to a very large apartment complex.

First time, I was in my truck, westbound on Bunnell Rd., Mercedes Girl was southbound on Pearl Lake Causeway intending to turn right to westbound Bunnell Rd., she blew through the red light and slammed into the passenger side of my truck.

The "almost" last night, I was eastbound on Bunnell Rd., the compact sedan (Nissan, if I had to guess), was southbound on Pearl Lake Causeway, blew through the red light going pretty fast, and continued southbound into the apartment complex.

My money says that the drivers were distracted in both cases, not paying attention, but I guess that there's always a possibility that the traffic light is defective and does not show red for southbound traffic on Pearl Lake Causeway when the Bunnell Rd. traffic has a green light. Next time I'm out and about I'll park in the stop and rob lot that has a view of the traffic light on the southbound Pearl Lake Causeway side, have a Coke (even though I'm white), munch on some Dot's pretzels, and watch the light and the traffic.

During school start and end hours, there is a crossing guard there who is able to control the traffic light manually. I don't suppose that there's any way he could screw things up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
First I am glad you are okay.

I have lived in central Florida for over 20 years and have noticed the problems we have on the roads got much worse about 10 years ago. At least in the area I live in.
In the area I live in we have seen a huge influx of people moving here from not only around the country but from around the world.
Cell phones and texting have made it much much worse.
A few weeks ago I posted about a person I watched drive off I4 several times, when I finally passed him he was on his cell phone.
I am seeing this more and more every day. People just not paying attention or caring where and how they are driving.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Glad you ok!

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Glad your cat like reflexes kept you safe.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Jeepers, glad you are okay!

You sure saved your Tuchas!

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have lived in central Florida for over 20 years and have noticed the problems we have on the roads got much worse about 10 years ago.

Yes it has, the influx of half of the PR after the hurricane, and all the Northerners escaping COVIDOMO et al the roads are packed, you'd think everyone has moved here and none of them drive for shidt.....

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
I have lived in central Florida for over 20 years and have noticed the problems we have on the roads got much worse about 10 years ago.

Yes it has, the influx of half of the PR after the hurricane, and all the Northerners escaping COVIDOMO et al the roads are packed, you'd think everyone has moved here and none of them drive for shidt.....

I have a neighbor who is Haitian. He leaves for work around the same time my wife does.
My wife will sometimes get stuck behind him either going to or coming home from work.
He is absolutely horrible on the roads she has told me.

I do not think him or his wife have ever owned a car till they came to the United States. I think they were recruited by the big entertainment company in central Florida to work after the earth quake back in 2000.

His wife has driven through the garage door(from the outside) more than once and hit the tree in their front yard twice. They have even taken out my neighbors mail box several times.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post