SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Limp handshakes. It tells me you don't give a crap.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limp handshakes. It tells me you don't give a crap. Login/Join 
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
So what do you advise me to do? I've just had wrist surgery and a firm handshake is to be avoided .
I have been going into my whole carpal tunnel spiel but it is getting tiresome. And sounds likes whining.( it is, I'm a baby I admit.)
Maybe just a quick peck on each cheek? Big Grin

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A firm and crisp handshake lasting no longer than 2 seconds is appropriate. In a man, neither bonecrushing nor limp is appropriate.

In a lady, however, there is just something sexy about a limp handshake (with the accompanying eye contact). It just says, "Take me you stud, I'm your's". Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

NO!

High fives are absofuckinglutely verboten! They're right up there with fist bumps. Roll Eyes

Shake a hand appropriately for Christ's sake.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

Surprise...then disappointment.

(My favorite TV show, period.)

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I assume whenever I get a weak or limp handshake that that is an act of submission and that person now has placed me in charge.

I don't know why people (not injured) decide to limp wrist a hand shake. Typically they also won't look you in the eyes. The result is I view them with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I never thought about them taking a submissive role. Interesting.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been called by a couple of people about my
less than firm handshake, one guy called it less than exuberant Roll Eyes

Also have been called on my lake of eye contact,
guy claimed it un sociable ( double Roll Eyes )

with my size, weight and hands that easily palm a basketball , I tend to underplay the whole hand shake " sizing up" format.

One guy claimed I might be a fag, I called him on the assumption in front of three of his bosses, that did not get him and silver stars on his "permanent record"

Actually in this day and age,
I can't name 10 out of the last 13 people that I actually Wanted ! to shake hands with.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

I can't stand "the dead hand" or whatever you'd like to call it.

What about the ones where they are limp in their handshake AND their hand is cold and clammy like a corpse. YEEK. Eek

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
I can handle "The Squeeze" but what drives me crazy is the "Premature Shake-ulation" where they grab your fingers and shake.

This happens all the time. I don’t ignore it. Usually, I’ll just say something like, “Whoops, missed ya,” and make them shake hands properly.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
The dead-fish handshake bugs me, but I can’t say it’s even bugged me enough that I said something. It does make a less than stelllar first impression with me.

The folks who go for the shot-grip finger crush bother me more. If you pull that on me, I’m quite likely to try my hardest to jam my thumb in between the bones on the back of your hand with as much force as I judge is being used to smoosh my fingers. I figure it’s fair.

Exceptions are made for medical issues, and I don’t fault anyone who just doesn’t like shaking hands, but if you are going in for the shake, don’t half-ass it.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Yep. Shake someone's hand firmly. You're not Howard Hughes. If you need to go wash your hands later do that but for that one second be a man about things.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
“Forgive me if I don’t shake hands.”

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

My first thought.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Ya, limp hand shakes, finger grabs, and the extra long hold on for no reason definitely bug me. I never even thought about the eye contact thing. I honestly can't remember someone not using eye contact, but thinking about it, it would be very awkward!

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
I can handle "The Squeeze" but what drives me crazy is the "Premature Shake-ulation" where they grab your fingers and shake.

This happens all the time. I don’t ignore it. Usually, I’ll just say something like, “Whoops, missed ya,” and make them shake hands properly.

I’m a fan of “wait a minute, let’s get this right.” Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
“Forgive me if I don’t shake hands.”

You’ll! That part is important! That the Southern part of it! “You’ll forgive me if I don’t shake hands.” It can’t really be explained, just know that’s the full-effect version of the phrase.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I have arthritis, rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, as a pharmacist I would open lots of bottles with those damn child proof lids daily. That took its toll on my hands and wrists, I was also mister fix it at my house, changed out all the light fixtures, installed all the flooring in my house, built my shed, painted, landscaped, mowed the lawn. Helped build all the deer stands on the land that I hunted, helped with clearing trails and planting food plots. Time has taken it’s toll, my left hand is almost a total loss, right isn’t far behind, sometimes a weak handshake is unavoidable.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes yes, they myriad of medical ailments is an acceptable “get out of jail free” card for failing to shake in an acceptable manner.

I’m talking about able bodied individuals giving you a limp clammy fish.

One of the biggest WTF handshake moments of my young life was in the military during indoc - our squad leader was the picture of discipline and strength - at the end of indoc he shook everyones hand - you guessed it, limp fish. WTF bro!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find with millenials that their handshakes/eye contact is less pronounced than previous generations. But then again maybe it’s social etiquette in general. Or maybe it’s me getting older and more bitter. Roll Eyes

Posts: 25 | Location: As far from Trudeau as possible | Registered: July 18, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I don't initiate handshakes because I dislike it that we as a society feel the need to touch people we don't even know, but if someone else extends their hand I'll be polite and firmly shake it.
Then I really don't understand it when the other person is all limp about it. Um, you wanted to shake hands, right? If not, why did you start it? It bothers me whether it's a man or a woman, but it surprises me more with men. Are they afraid of hurting me or what? Or are they surprised that I'm firm about it?

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Your greasy brake dust encrusted paws would be a dead giveaway. No milquetoast is gonna shake your hand twice.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

You’ll! That part is important! That the Southern part of it! “You’ll forgive me if I don’t shake hands.” It can’t really be explained, just know that’s the full-effect version of the phrase.

It isn’t important whatsoever. I was quoting Doc Holiday in Tombstone.

https://youtu.be/dF8r3DhudHM

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post