SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Damn Squirrels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damn Squirrels Login/Join 
posted
What are some suggestions to keep these damn squirrels from cleaning out the bird feeders? They have got to the point that I've watched a couple "camp out" for 10-15 minutes before I finally scared them off. I thought of getting one of those that spin if they really work.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trap and release, or shoot them.

Our problem (we are in NC as well) was they they will empty a feeder in 5 minutes just to get to certain seeds, and doing so led to other ground vermin.

We trapped and released (about 5 miles away at a park) 10 squirrels, but they kept coming. I've shot a few, but damn they just don't learn. It got so bad a spiked a batch with hot red pepper, but they still made a mess. The neighbors stopped feeding the birds because the squirrels mess attracted rats to their back yard.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If a pellet gun is not an option, consider taking away the feeder for a few weeks.

Make them look elsewhere for their free shit. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That picture pretty much sums it up! Mad Live in a townhome complex so shooting the little s.o.b.'s is out. I could tolerate them if they wouldn't eat so much and make it impossible for the birds to use the feeders. I may just have to take them down for a bit.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I think there was a thread on this, and someone suggested the Squirrel Tossing Feeder aka

Droll Yankee Flipper

Top 10 Squirrel Proof Feeders

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Full disclosure: battling the squirrels has become as much of a hobby as feeding the birds. My wife's anti-squirrel gadgetry budget is almost equivalent to my-try-a-new-holster allowance.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
My wife decided one year to feed the squirrels separately from the birds. She put peanuts in the shell out at a different spot in the yard, it sorta worked because they spent much of the day burying the ones they didn’t eat. However they knew which door she was coming out of and if they were hungry before she was ready they climbed up the screen door to let her know it was feeding time.
She also was followed by the little rodents as she walked our son to school. They actually started to scare her they were so obsessed. It took a long time for them to quit bothering her.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
True story,I always feed them corn on the cob and shelled in a home made 4 inch pcv tube.
Hawks [3] moved in ,I quit feeding,to save their lives.
This year they moved into my tomatoes,no problem I thought till they got into the habit of being selective on the big tomatoes.
Back to feed store and back to feeding them corn.
If the hawks come back it is on them.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have this Good Nature A18.

The A18 is a little spendy, but solves the issue permanently if shooting isn't an option. Bonus is that it gets mice and chipmunks as well. I leave the squirrels lay and the foxes or hawks come and get the bodies. Between the A18 and my pellet gun, I'm over 40 KIA so far. My tomatoes being decimated was the last stray for me.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do you have a welder?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Make 'em work for it? Big Grin

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/hFZFjoX2cGg

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No welder, but that spinning one looks interesting even if it's rather expensive.

posted Hide Post
no welder

as you look in to the yard where your feeders are located ,
is there a pole or tree on the lot lines ?

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a big oak beside the building and a common wall behind the units where the feeders are. They are on a iron pole behind the patio and not really much space to relocate them at all so either take them down for a bit or look into that other feeder.

posted Hide Post
https://birdwatchinghq.com/squirrel-baffles/

bird feeder baffles are an easy fix

I use one and two liter bottles

I stretched a 40 ft. wire from one tree to another ,
at each end of the wire,
next to t he trees
I threaded 7 bottles on the wire.

then I hang 6 feeders on the wire.

no squirrel has ever gotten to any of the feeders.

they want nothing to do with the baffles, at all.

a cheap poll baffle would be
a rubber made trash can lid

the hardware store here gives them to me.

( people buy the cans w/o the lids.)

make a hole in the center , and push it down the pole , keep it 40 inches above the ground.

they won't be able to get around it , to the feed.

posted Hide Post
these lids also make great
roofs,

to keep the rain from spoiling the feed

posted Hide Post
keep in mind , that if the rats can jump from a wall or railing or tree , on to the feeder

then you have an additional problem.

they can always jump off,
you need to prevent them from jumping on

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My roommate is suffering bad Covid-19 cabin fever and spends a lot of time watching the birds in the back yard. She's got 3 different feeders set up. The squirrels don't bother the feeders, but the birds kick a lot of seed down onto the ground and the squirrels love that shit. They also drive my dogs crazy. She complained about the squirrels. I told her to stop feeding them and they'd go elsewhere. Nope, not an option. Finally I got a couple Have-a-hart traps and baited them with peanut butter. So far we've trapped 5 squirrels and one rat and relocated them to a nice tree a few miles down the road.

I have a rimfire can waiting on ATF approval now. I REALLY wish that would happen soon so that I could send the rest of the squirrels (the ones smart enough to avoid the traps) to squirrel Valhalla.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are ways to keep a lot of the seed from hitting the ground.

one or three of these made fit your particular application
https://www.google.com/search?...0QBA&biw=906&bih=607