SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Old Statues & Monuments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Statues & Monuments Login/Join 
posted
Deleted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marlin Fan,

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You should ask this in The Lounge. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
A mob doesn’t need a reason.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand this post,
Please elaborate.

If you know the reason they are removing the statues,

What do you want from the members ?

If you are seeking information in an effort to make a decision,
What decesion are you contemplating ?

Since you called some people dummies ,
Have you already made a decision,
But
Require additional
support of some sort?

Quit posting this shit - Para

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Feelings and emotions! It seems this younger generation has a complete inability to use logic and reason.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The question seems to be 'why are they succeeding?'

Most folks can walk by statues and monuments that they don't agree with and just look at something else, or think about all the monuments of things they do admire.

Others, well, just like to destroy things, and are best kept under control or deterred from acting on their impulses.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
They should be educating people on history rather than trying to erase it. This who don’t learn from history...

Fuckers better not touch Stone Mountain. I grew up in sight of it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
They should be educating people on history rather than trying to erase it. This who don’t learn from history...

good luck with that,

3 are gone from Monument Ave now,

more will be gone later,

sad to me,

Stuart is still up, and I was born in Stuart Circle hospital, (now a condo building)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first to say that the subject of this thread is DANGEROUSLY Close, if not OVER the Line re: Para's expressed wishes...."Don't Post Any of this Riot Stuff Here", or to put it another way, No Threads on Social Unrest!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8867 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

good luck with that,
3 are gone from Monument Ave now,
more will be gone later,
sad to me,
Stuart is still up, and I was born in Stuart Circle hospital, (now a condo building)

I can tell you that if they tried to destroy Stone Mountain there are gonna be a TON of pissed off people. And that’s being as mild as can be.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not been posting on topics such as this because it outrages me especially since I am a history buff along with earning a degree in that field.

It is sad that people cannot see a statue or monument no matter who or what it is and use them to have an open and frank discussion about the piece.

I grew up in a military family so it was almost mandatory to study various wars/conflicts and uprisings but I never really studied the Civil War even when I was obtaining my degree from OSU

For years I tried to break into LE in Ohio but never could make the civil service cut so I relocated from Cols OH to Richmond, VA to being my LE career. Almost instantly I fell in love with the City especially monument avenue.

I just read that people cheered as they took down another statue. This time it was Matthew Fontaine Maury.

I never knew who this person was until I was in the process of relocating to NC. After googling him I discovered what an interesting individual he was and the discoveries he made. He was an astronomer, naval officer, historian, oceanographer, meteorologist, cartographer, author, geologist, and educator. I just read that his contributions to the Confederacy included improvements to underwater torpedoes, and mines.

I always thought his monument was the most interesting of them all because the sculptor not only emphasized Maury's knowledge and achievements but it also marked an important break from the "visual rhetoric's of the Lost Cause" – a school of thought that glorified the Confederacy." (Copied that part from an article in the Richmond Times Disgrace dated Aug 2019)

I apologize for the long post and for even positing in the discussion itself for I know Para has laid guidelines regarding these topics.. I guess I am being melancholy due to putting in to many hours the last few weeks (minimum of 60hrs) here on the reservation and reflecting too much on the good times I had in Richmond.

Have a good night everyone
Have a happy 4th and Stay Safe

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Here's what General Eisenhower thought about General Lee:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/mOrtOlU8f9Y

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post