SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pedestrians and the crosswalk.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pedestrians and the crosswalk. Login/Join 
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted
A couple things about pedestrians and crosswalks have been chafing me lately.

First, it's really frustrating when someone pushes the button, especially when there's little to no traffic, then crosses the street almost immediately. They're across the street before the sign reads walk and everyone at the intersection is looking around wondering why no one is going or walking across the street. I had such a douchebag who did that at every intersection yesterday and because of the unnecessary wait I'd catchup to him at the next light just in time to see him do it again... and then again. Should have bought a lottery ticket with those odds.

On the other hand, there's people who think that because they're in a crosswalk they can just walk across without taking any precautions and it's up to the driver of the vehicle to avert disaster. I almost hit someone because they stepped out from behind a parked van while wearing dark clothes which made it really hard to see him when it's dark and drizzling outside. The speed limit was 30mph and thankfully I was looking for a parking spot and was going about 20mph so I happened to notice and stopped in time. To top it off, he gave me a dirty look and the finger. You're welcome pal. The frustrating thing here is that had I hit him, I'd be the one in the crosshairs.

I'm sure there's plenty more and feel to share but for this week (and it's only Tuesday) I've gotten a dose to last long enough. Thanks for hearing me out.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you should be able to hit someone just on general principle....

Best I saw was while working in Phoenix. 6-lane road at interstate entrance with panhandler, walking in the median concrete strip with hat/hand out while cars stopped. Once light changed, walked back to front of line and hit the cross-walk trigger set on the island! I guess it's there to avoid people getting stuck halfway, but this douche was cycling the lights fast as he could in an area where I saw about 4 people actually walking across the intersection in the 6 months I was there.

Mad

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
A couple things about pedestrians and crosswalks have been chafing me lately.

First, it's really frustrating when someone pushes the button, especially when there's little to no traffic, then crosses the street almost immediately. They're across the street before the sign reads walk and everyone at the intersection is looking around wondering why no one is going or walking across the street. I had such a douchebag who did that at every intersection yesterday and because of the unnecessary wait I'd catchup to him at the next light just in time to see him do it again... and then again. Should have bought a lottery ticket with those odds.

On the other hand, there's people who think that because they're in a crosswalk they can just walk across without taking any precautions and it's up to the driver of the vehicle to avert disaster. I almost hit someone because they stepped out from behind a parked van while wearing dark clothes which made it really hard to see him when it's dark and drizzling outside. The speed limit was 30mph and thankfully I was looking for a parking spot and was going about 20mph so I happened to notice and stopped in time. To top it off, he gave me a dirty look and the finger. You're welcome pal. The frustrating thing here is that had I hit him, I'd be the one in the crosshairs.

I'm sure there's plenty more and feel to share but for this week (and it's only Tuesday) I've gotten a dose to last long enough. Thanks for hearing me out.

Unfortunately, I think most states have laws that state the driver must yield to a pedestrian in the crosswalk wheteher or not the driver has a green light. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Saw a young lady at San Diego State University get hit while in the crosswalk. No broken bones or skin, just bruises.

Seems she was on her head-down display (phone) and walked into a crosswalk from behind a box truck. SMACK - she was tagged by a car. (I was coming the opposite direction and watched it in fascination realizing there was nothing I could which would have prevented it - I was just there as an observer.)

The end of the story? The car's driver was cited for not yielding to a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I was having lunch at a restaurant on the corner of a busy intersection (about a mile east of the 10th busiest airport in the US). We hear horns and screeching tires, and look up to see some tool texting just barely miss getting hit. He miraculously arrives at the corner, and the walk light turns for him walk across the next street. You guessed it, head down texting again as he walked across the street. Darwin will catch up to him.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
the ones that get me are those who cross in the middle of the street hidden by parked vans wearing dark cloths at night.

I don't care if they want to kill themselves, just don't use other people.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
When I was a young kid of about seven or eight, I ran out from behind a parked car and got smucked. It sent me about eight feet and I rolled out of it with some minor bruising.

My dad bruised my butt worse that the car did.

Lesson learned.

I've never understood why adults (and most children) have never learned the law of gross tonnage. People need to watch where they are going and cars should have the right of way IMO as they are capable of doing much more damage.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
On the other hand, there's people who think that because they're in a crosswalk they can just walk across without taking any precautions and it's up to the driver of the vehicle to avert disaster.

Happened to me about a month ago in Ashland, VA around Randolph Macon University, jackass came out of one of the restaurants and straight into the crosswalk without looking left, right, or up! One day, these morons will finally get a hard lesson in physics.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
On the flip side, I have to cross two streets in clearly marked crosswalks to get to work. No driver visibility issues. I will take one step in the crosswalk (not in the line of the passing cars) to show the drivers I am physically in the crosswalk and they continue to drive by and ignore me and others until one driver finally stops. I've even had police cars do this. Must be trying to hurry up and get to the red light at the end of the street.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Hey! I'm Walkin' He'ah.

Im Walkin Here

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
How about folks in a shopping center/store who instead of crossing the roadway and walking up the sidewalk to their destination, walk up the middle of the roadway til they get to their entrance?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
+1 Floyd. Like a lot of other pedestrian interactions, the dirty looks they give when they're in the wrong are representative of the lack of respect and personal responsibility in today's society.

P.S. While we're talking about parking lots I can't stand the cars that drive across the parking spaces instead of staying in the aisles. It amazes me when a near collision is avoided because a vehicle comes barging into an aisle at a speed much greater than a normal vehicle pulling/backing out. Again, the icing on the cake is the pissed off violator because they feel like the vehicle in the aisle should have yielded.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
How about folks in a shopping center/store who instead of crossing the roadway and walking up the sidewalk to their destination, walk up the middle of the roadway til they get to their entrance?

This happened to me with a group of Hadjis who were slowly walking in the middle of the road at the second largest mall in the USA (King of Prussia, PA)

They were deliberately doing it and almost daring me to hit them, I was screaming inside the car "That may be how you do it in whatever shithole of a Middle Eastern country you all come from but you DON'T do that here!"

After I almost touched a couple of them with my front bumper, they got the hint and moved the hell out of the way.

Mind you, this was at Christmas when it's already nuts there and they are pulling this shit. Mad

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Happened to me about a month ago in Ashland, VA around Randolph Macon University, jackass came out of one of the restaurants and straight into the crosswalk without looking left, right, or up! One day, these morons will finally get a hard lesson in physics.

Sounds like yet another reason to have a dash cam.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My ex wife would walk out into traffic and expect everything to stop because "pedestrians have right of way"
I asked her if that law overrides the law of physics because a vehicle can't stop on a dime just because she walks out in the street.

She damn near bought the farm at Myrtle Beach walking out into traffic like that.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A lady was killed in Milwaukee last Fall, in the crosswalk. I don't know all the details, but it did happen at 11:00 P.M..

Even in the crosswalk, day or night, one needs to be defensive about stepping out. The phase 'dead right' comes to mind.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Then you have those who think they can cross whereever they want to, even if they are within feet of a crosswalk. Walk right out without regard to the light or traffic.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
A lady was killed in Milwaukee last Fall, in the crosswalk. I don't know all the details, but it did happen at 11:00 P.M..

Even in the crosswalk, day or night, one needs to be defensive about stepping out. The phase 'dead right' comes to mind.

Yep, same thing happened in my city a year or two back. And of course, everyone started complaining about how bad the intersection is.

I'm sorry, but if you're paying attention there is absolutely no way to get killed crossing in a crosswalk.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
How about tbe douchebags who see you coming, step into the street ( not in a crosswalk) look tbe other way and just walk across the street?!?! Deliberatly looking away from you. Mainly college kids or low-life hosers wanting to sue after being hit by you. Ive had it out more than once explaining my 4000 lb car vs your 180lbs getting crushed. I end the yelling by saying, " I win, your dead, and its not my fault. !"

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I kinda wish this would happen to the kind of people discussed in this thread:

https://youtu.be/nh-As5b_jZA

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post