SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I was bitten by a spider for the first time.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was bitten by a spider for the first time. Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I have no idea why I opened this creepy thread. I'm leaving.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I work in yard and garden almost daily,been bit twice this year by picking up random pairs of gloved laying around in the barns.
Both wrist stole up on different weeks.
Well that learned me to put my gloves in a coffee can and snap the lid.
No animosity to Gods critters, just got smarter and protect me and them.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I got nailed by some kind of funnel spider last night moving a TV.
The sensation was strange as the area wet cold for a minute or two then it's like it never envenomated me.
It itched for about 10 minutes.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Well...it's good to see that I'm not the only person who practices "catch and release" on spiders...over the last two days I have caught three jumpers by hand (maybe 7/16" or so) and put them outside. It's been so nice the last few nights I've left the door open to the screened porch and they are sneaking in...I've never been bitten by a jumping spider though (can't say that about crab spiders)...

I usually use the old "jar and notecard" trick to capture the bigger ones such as the wolf and grass spiders and might start doing that with jumpers (after I get finished aggravating them...I'll give them one thing, they keep any "threat" in front of them, even while backing away in escape mode Razz)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Well...it's good to see that I'm not the only person who practices "catch and release" on spiders...Razz)

Don't try it on a Daddy LongLegs.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
You'll be needing one of these, just in case you don't have time to knit your own:

http://tinyurl.com/lnuh2mc

Thanks, but I was thinking something more like this:

Time to change your avatar?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
About 40 years ago, I lived in Las Vegas and under every kitchen cupboard was at least one Black Widow spider. My old Beagle seemed to have some kind of radar and found them often, and his head would swell to scary size when he got bit. Again and again. He just never seemed to get it. Leave them alone, and they will probably leave you alone too. One night I was watching TV and fell asleep. I woke up and felt something on my face, right above my lip. I swatted at it, and it bit me. My lip went almost totally numb, and swelled to the point I sounded like I was drunk. I didn't feel very well either, and called off work that night. I never got bit again, but the dopey dog did, every 3 months or so, off to the vet he went, head swollen up and walking like he was drunk. One time, he got attacked by a Newfoundland that outweighed him by 100+ pounds. Even as messed up as he was, he did some damage. The vet was impressed by his "balls", saying, "Wow, he's a tough old bastard, he'll fight anything!". He was a tough old bastard:

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having been bitten by a Brown Recluse ANY spider I see is immediately mashed to paste. Don't care if I have to repaint the whole wall that spider is getting mashed into paste.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5645 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Having been bitten by a Brown Recluse ANY spider I see is immediately mashed to paste. Don't care if I have to repaint the whole wall that spider is getting mashed into paste.
I hate those things. My buddy's hand is one of the viral brown recluse bites that have been making the rounds on the interwebs for years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
But aren't there some spiders that kill Brown Recluses? I would want to keep those around.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
But aren't there some spiders that kill Brown Recluses? I would want to keep those around.

I'm not willing to take that risk. Eek

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Last time I dealt with a jumping spider in the house I was told (by my wife at the time) that a .40S&W could not be fired in the bathroom......

Probably would have missed that bastard anyway...

WD40 and a lighter seldom misses and as long as you clean it quick does not leave too much of a mess Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Have the powers started to show up yet?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wallacemf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 377 | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Well...it's good to see that I'm not the only person who practices "catch and release" on spiders......

I have a "stomp and scrape" program.

I have yet to be bitten.

No spiders have ever complained.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I can't​ decide if the spider was lucky or unlucky.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31431 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I'm proud of your attempt to save one of the good guys.

Also, your choice of new costumes would probably rock. Big Grin

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking that since it was bigger then it would be easier to grab hold of.

Never go to Sri Lanka. That's all I'm gonna say.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Brown Recluses, but we put a Black Widow in a jar with some sort of Wolf Spider and in about 10 seconds the Black Widow was dead and being eaten... Big Grin

quote:

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
barney fife called , if you can pet a cat while its sleeping w/o waking it up , during new moon , that spider will never bite you again

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post