SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Modern Sporting Rifles on Indoor Ranges
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern Sporting Rifles on Indoor Ranges Login/Join 
posted
Notice how I avoided the Assault Weapon term. That being said, I am tired of going to indoor ranges and finding myself beside some urban cowboy with his latest tricked-out AR-15. It's not just the noise, it's the pressure wave created. I had triple bypass surgery last Summer and with each shot, I felt like someone was slamming me in the chest with a sandbag. I had to leave the range for fear that it was going to dislodge or otherwise damage my grafts. I did some research on the net and there are numerous reports of bodily damage, not just to the ears, from loud noise. Several reports entail loud sounds causing atrial fibrillation, which lead to a heart attack.
The obvious solution is to utilize a separate range for rifle or shotgun shooters. I was at an indoor range in another town recently and they had a "No Rifle Fire" sign. At my facility, there are several ranges but the owners are either too lazy or too cheap to operate more than one range at a time. If someone suffers a heart attack or other injury from rifle fire in the next stall, they may find out just how expensive their policies can be.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
My normal indoor range has a separate area for rifles. The new, fancy range that I visited last time I shot has everyone in the same area. The guy next to me was going at it with an AR pistol. After his first shot after I set up, I went back to the front to get muffs to double up on my plug ear protection. I also noted the blast and gas, so I waited for him to reload or otherwise be occupied to do my shooting. Then he pulled out his short-barreled shotgun. I found that I needed to fiddle with the pistols I brought to adjust a few things until he was done. Thankfully, the range fee was not hourly.

The guy on the other side had a full-length AR, which wasn't so bad.

Although not as fancy, I think I'll stick with my regular range.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say it is the MSR on it's own, but most likely the muzzle device. Muzzle brakes are not nice to neighbors, flash hiders are usually fine.

Loudness is one thing, but if you are feeling it, it is a muzzle brake being used. I have been at the range standing at the rear of my station, and can feel the concussion of the shooter next to me using a brake, even though his muzzle is a good 2-3 feet ahead of me. I don't like shooting next to them either, and I usually either move or wait for their lulls.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not frequent a range that did not have a separate area for rifles. Standing next to someone at an outdoor range who is using a muzzle brake is bad enough.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If someone is shooting a short barrel .223 or using a brake where you can feel the concussion I will ask to move to a distant lane. If none are available I have left before. It’s just annoying more than anything.

I am seeing less of the Rambo types that come in with their decked out AR’s to shoot 500 rounds at a target that is 25 yards away though.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my range started to make people with Muzzle Brake equipped rifles all be grouped at the same end of the firing line, there is a bit more recognition of the issue and less people shooting them at the range.

The only conflicts over it is folks with a flash hider being told that they need to go to the end by some real old ranger office who can't differentiate:-)

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
My outdoor range used to restrict muzzle brakes to the last ten points out of the thirty available. That was before the Obama sales started, and then membership boomed. Now 80% of the shooters have something black, ugly, box mag fed, railed out, and with a muzzle brake. Oh, and did I mention I love the way they fling hot brass too? So special. No restrictions now of course.

Was at the range Sunday. Testing new loads in a heavy .243 and light 7x57. Guy shows up and sits down on the very next table. Yugo underfolder AK something and a stack of big mags. 12" barrel and 4" muzzle brake on it so its legal for him to import a couple thousand of them. He tells me this after popping 1 per second for 40 seconds. I was just sitting there watching the pretty fire from the muzzle. So pretty. He observes I have stopped firing, smiles a big smile, and says to me "that muzzle brake is obnoxious isn't it?" Not that sitting next to a 12" 7.62x39 would have been pleasant in any event. At least it wasn't a .338 something with the requisite side discharge tank style brake on it.

When I want a massage a rifle range is not the first place I think of.

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must be a Tri-county member Ke Bo Li? Me too. Are you saying that the rule is no longer in effect? Was out to the range last week in Sherwood (100 yard rifle) and the black rifles were much less in attendance than previously. A lot of that may be for 2 reasons:

1st) New owners want to (and should) get it sighted in. Lots of new AR sales. 2nd) They still need to practice with the deer rifle and also since most of them (not all) are more accurate than the AR-s, they are more fun to shoot.

For myself, owner of multiple AR-15's all perfectly sighted in and deer season a long way off, it's just more fun to shoot a .22 target rifle that drills them all into 1 tight group if I do my part. Cheaper and quieter as well. Funny enough some guy came and sat a few seats over with a big booming deer or elk rifle and like you, I stopped and watched him. I stopped cause the random booms were not conducive to me accurately drilling the 10 ring. LOL

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
If someone is shooting a short barrel .223 or using a brake where you can feel the concussion I will ask to move to a distant lane. If none are available I have left before. It’s just annoying more than anything.

I am seeing less of the Rambo types that come in with their decked out AR’s to shoot 500 rounds at a target that is 25 yards away though.

I was at an indoor range wearing ear plugs and ear muffs and it was annoying as hell. I stopped shooting while they were shooting and would load magazines, and then shoot after they emptied their 3 or 4, 30 round magazines and were reloading.....luckily they didn't stay too long.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're near farm country, see if a local farmer will let you shoot on his property.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Try volunteering at your shooting club by sitting at a bench rest all day helping to raise money for the club with “Hunter Sight-In,” in an area that gets a lot of out-state hunters. Sit next to several guys shooting .338 Lapua (or something similar) with a muzzle brake. By the end of the day you feel like you’ve been drug behind a horse.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
If you're near farm country, see if a local farmer will let you shoot on his property.

I don't live in Florida, hence the reason for being on an indoor range in February.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
What are these indoor ranges that allow rifles you speak of?

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The 11.5 SBR with brake is an effective range clearance tool indoor or out.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The 11.5 SBR with brake is an effective range clearance tool indoor or out.

I just bring my 10.5" with me and fire off 2-3 rounds and in a few minutes I have the range all to myself to shoot my pistols. Wink

To me it is a bit annoying but just part of being a member at an indoor range. The one I shoot at now did it right though. They have a 15 lane range that's separated into a 5 and 10 lane area by a wall with a door. The 5 lane side is rifles, sbr's, machine guns, and everything else. The 10 lane side is pistols only. Very enjoyable.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
What are these indoor ranges that allow rifles you speak of?

I have shot extensively at two that allowed elephant guns, i.e., rifles up to 8100 ft. lb. of muzzle smash. One of those also rented machine guns up to 7.62 caliber. (Unfortunately, I moved away from one and the other closed down.) Is a 25-yard range an ideal place to practice your rifle skillz, no, but it's convenient, out of the weather and better than nothing.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I wish we had those here. All the ones I've found only allow pistol caliber rifles, and shotguns (W/o slugs)

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Notice how I avoided the Assault Weapon term. That being said, I am tired of going to indoor ranges and finding myself beside some urban cowboy with his latest tricked-out AR-15. It's not just the noise, it's the pressure wave created. I had triple bypass surgery last Summer and with each shot, I felt like someone was slamming me in the chest with a sandbag. I had to leave the range for fear that it was going to dislodge or otherwise damage my grafts. I did some research on the net and there are numerous reports of bodily damage, not just to the ears, from loud noise. Several reports entail loud sounds causing atrial fibrillation, which lead to a heart attack.
The obvious solution is to utilize a separate range for rifle or shotgun shooters. I was at an indoor range in another town recently and they had a "No Rifle Fire" sign. At my facility, there are several ranges but the owners are either too lazy or too cheap to operate more than one range at a time. If someone suffers a heart attack or other injury from rifle fire in the next stall, they may find out just how expensive their policies can be.

I've also had a triple bypass AND a Mitral Valve repair. Was in Afib for 48 hours after the surgery and had a post operative Afib attack 2 weeks after the surgery that went on for 18 hours. So, I do appreciate your concerns.

However last weekend I put 125 rounds downrange shooting 3 rounds of Skeet and 2 rounds of Trap with my 20 and 12 gage shotguns. Granted it was October, 2018 when I had my surgery but I resumed shotgun shooting 4 months after my surgery with the full approval of my Cardiologist. IMO you may be just a bit too concerned about the sensitivity of your heart. I would suggest that you have a long talk with your Cardiologist about your concerns.

Point is you are allowed to enjoy your life. Stick to a heart healthy diet and commit to regular exercise and you'll live just as long as anyone else. And, don't stress yourself out over things that have just a microscopic chance of causing harm".

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I wish we had those here. All the ones I've found only allow pistol caliber rifles, and shotguns (W/o slugs)

That's what I'm down to now.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Must be a Tri-county member Ke Bo Li? Me too. Are you saying that the rule is no longer in effect? Was out to the range last week in Sherwood (100 yard rifle) and the black rifles were much less in attendance than previously. A lot of that may be for 2 reasons:

1st) New owners want to (and should) get it sighted in. Lots of new AR sales. 2nd) They still need to practice with the deer rifle and also since most of them (not all) are more accurate than the AR-s, they are more fun to shoot.

For myself, owner of multiple AR-15's all perfectly sighted in and deer season a long way off, it's just more fun to shoot a .22 target rifle that drills them all into 1 tight group if I do my part. Cheaper and quieter as well. Funny enough some guy came and sat a few seats over with a big booming deer or elk rifle and like you, I stopped and watched him. I stopped cause the random booms were not conducive to me accurately drilling the 10 ring. LOL

Yep Tri-County member since they had rifle rack on the walls. Was there Sunday morning from around 11 to 3. Lots of bolt guns with muzzle brakes up and down the line,but not crowded, lots of room between shooters. This guy just plopped down next to me. The sign about muzzle brakes is long gone.

Call me Mr Fudd, but I wish they made cans mandatory instead of muzzle brakes...a boy can dream right?
Anyway...my opinion is that they are way too popular. Sometimes its useful tool but not everybody is shooting .340 Weatherby out of a 8 lb gun? Far from it. My 7x57 in a 7.5 lb gun(scope and 3rnds) kicks. My 8x56 M-S in a 6.5 lb gun( scope and 4 rds) is a wee bit worse. Do I wish recoil was reduced? of course. But who am I to argue with Mr newton?

Or maybe I'm just a cranky old man.

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post