SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Modern Sporting Rifles on Indoor Ranges
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern Sporting Rifles on Indoor Ranges Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Everybody in this thread is on my “Do Not Invite” list when I take out the 50BMG. Just like Everett telling Pete that the smell of his hair pomade is its most important feature, the muzzle blast is most of the fun from the big stuff.

I have BMG50, 458 Lott, 416 Rigby, 375 Ruger, 338 RUM, 30-06, 270, ...

Stop me when I get down to where it won’t bother your delicate parts. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Mosin M38 throwing 7.62x54R fireballz downrange is another effective range clearance tool.

1-2 rounds every 3-4 minutes until everyone leaves has proven 100% effective.

Wait until you hear them load up and start shooting for the next volley is always the coup de grâce... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I saw a guy shoot a 50 BMG with a nasty brake and it blew the hat off the guy in the next lane.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a long time I used to bring my M44 Mosin with me and I wouldn’t touch it unless somebody had a SBR or ar pistol or something else obnoxious. Then I have my turn. Usually if I let off 5 rounds relatively quickly it gets the point across and I’ve had the annoying guy pack up and move or leave. Now I just use my Glock 20, doesn’t work as well but it’s easier to lug around

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you are talking about. We shot indoors and the guy in the next lane was shooting a desert eagle.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Gun ranges have gunfire. Gunfire is noisy. Deal with it. The exception would be if the shooters are firing their rifles in violation of range rules. (Some only allow pistol-cartridge rifles.)
quote:
For a long time I used to bring my M44 Mosin with me and I wouldn’t touch it unless somebody had a SBR or ar pistol or something else obnoxious.

This suggests the shooter was already there, perhaps for some time, before you arrived. Am I to understand that you parked your carcass in the lane or seat next to him, decided you didn't like the noise - on a gun range! - he was making, so you fired your big rifle to run him off? Do I have this right?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
My local spot allows up to .50 BMG on their indoor range and has a separate indoor range for pistols only. They rent full autos so the rifle range is very entertaining. After one trip everybody knows don't go into the rifle range unless you are prepared.

My SCAR 17S SBR (13" barrel) with a muzzle brake has the most extreme noise and concussion of any rifle I own. Even with plugs + muffs it makes your ears ring at the covered outdoor range so I never subject others to it indoors. It's much worse than my 10" SBRs in 5.56 or my 300WM with a brake. I shoot it with the can on most of the time, but without the can it's brutal!

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Gunfire from other shooters on a range - indoors or out - can be dealt with. It is part equipment, part psychological. Get the highest NRR (noise reduction rating) muffs you can find, even doubling it with ear plugs if you want. The muffs will also help with the concussion rattling your skull bones. I haven't looked in a while so this may be out of date, but I don't know of any electronic muffs that have as high a NRR rating as conventional muffs. The psychological part is learning to concentrate on your shooting and "tune out" the other gunfire, relegating it to background noise.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad i am not the only one...

This happened to me a while ago when my daughter, who suffers from anxiety and has always had a fear of guns, asked me to take her to the range.

When we arrived the range was almost empty and we were at one end shooting a .22 and 9mm them for someon reason they assigned the ;ane right next to us to some kid with his AR and the noise/shock terrified my daughter. I did get the range master to move us but she was on edge after that.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
One of the ranges near me has a big sign "maximum velocity, 3600 FPS. OK. So on sight in day, long ago, I took my then new .30-378 to the range. I took special precaution to show the clerk guy the ammo box from Weatherby showing the 200 grain velocity as 3598! Big Grin Big Grin.

My plan was to only shoot the thing enough to put the shots in the black at the 30 yard range. Its indoors and it was raining outside. I was kind of polite and let the couple next to us finish. Then the other idiot with a boomer started firing his noise maker. We were alone on the range then. So with the first shot, the other guy got mad. Then he went upstairs to the sales room and complained about me! Big Grin It was kind of fun even. But I only fired 4 rounds and put it away. Was easy to sight in and at $4 a shot, I learned what I need to know. The other guy left because while he could make as much noise as he wanted, he didn't extend that to others. Too bad.

Oh, the long gone .458 wasn't nearly as loud.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am tired of going to indoor ranges and finding myself beside some urban cowboy with his latest tricked-out AR-15

You could always just go to another range. Confused

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post