SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cheap Rum at Bars
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap Rum at Bars Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
Yeah, I know, it is a First World problem. I like rum. So it pisses me off when I go to a bar which has $50 bottles of whiskey, vodka, wine, etc., and the only rum is some cheap rum like Bacardi's white rum (Superior, ha! - it should be labelled rubbing alcohol).

I've let the bars and restaurants I frequent know that I'd like a better grade of rum, but I guess I'm the only one that complains about it, so I guess I'll save some money and drink what I like at home.

OK, rant off. All y'all have a good weekend.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trials and tribulations of being a high brow pirate. Smile

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Nuclear
What do you drink and how do you drink it?
Not sure of the price point of these 2 they were gifts, I find them tasty

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Pyrat. Its my favorite rum

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Arrrr!
What Nuclearrrr said!

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t agree more...my favorite spirit, too, and I’m constantly puzzled why the rum selection gets the short shrift.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
Couldn’t agree more...my favorite spirit, too, and I’m constantly puzzled why the rum selection gets the short shrift.

Rum is my favorite drink also. I think because rum is always mixed with something (coke, punch, etc.), and a lot of people just ask for a rum and coke or rum punch, most bars feel they can just stock crap like Bacardi.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I lived / worked in Puerto Rico for a few years. There are some great rums produced there.

My favorite was Ron del Barralito, a prize winning rum, available in two star and three star varieties. I liked the three star for sipping straight, the two star for mixed drinks like rum and tonic.

I just read that there will be a new five star type this year, at only $750.00 / bottle. Not a typo, seven hundred and fifty dollars. I was going to order a case, but the article said that there will be very limited availability, so I doubt that they could fill my order Wink

https://www.prnewswire.com/new...stars-300669099.html

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
El Dorado, from Demerara Distilleries, is my go-to. Reasonably priced. I've had much more expensive makes (mostly courtesy of friends, because face it, I'm a cheapskate) but my palate isn't quite sophisticated enough to appreciate the difference beyond a certain price point.

However, that "fuzzy line" is absolutely above Bacardi.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:

Rum is my favorite drink also. I think because rum is always mixed with something (coke, punch, etc.), and a lot of people just ask for a rum and coke or rum punch, most bars feel they can just stock crap like Bacardi.

I think this is the correct answer. The few rum drinkers I know always mix it with coke or something. The only way I like it is with orange juice and triple-sec.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I do not know rums. I try to find rum that looks interesting to stock our bar with, but I have to ask, is everything Bacardi makes crap? I realize they are the Jim Beam of rum and that there are many better, but don’t they make a line of boutique rums, just like the Jim Beam does with whiskey—some that are viewed favorably?

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I do not know rums. I try to find rum that looks interesting to stock our bar with, but I have to ask, is everything Bacardi makes crap? I realize they are the Jim Beam of rum and that there are many better, but don’t they make a line of boutique rums, just like the Jim Beam does with whiskey—some that are viewed favorably?

For the most part yes, the Bacardi stuff is crap.

Popular rums for a bar would be: Captain Morgan (it's spiced), some choices would be myers (dark), flor de cana, Cruzan is ok (a step above Bacardi IMO), Appleton, Mount Gay, there are others.

I drink Captain morgan and diet coke or like Flor de Cana, the others mentioned once in a blue moon.

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Actually Bacardi Black is a very good rum, so not everything they make is crap.

What I drink is Appleton (even their entry level rum is good), Myers, Mount Gay, Captain Morgan's in a pinch, Westerhall when at home (it's a Grenada product) and when I'm in Europe or Asia I drink Havana Club Cuban rum if I can find it. In the Caribbean I usually drink whatever is the local rum.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bacardi Oakheart is the only rum they make that I like. Its really good

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my favorites:

Rhum Barbancourt 8 or 15, Zaya, Pusser's, Mount Gay XO

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why? No demand. If they had a bottle of good rum, it would sit untouched for weeks or months at a time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cruzan is ok

I like Cruzan quite a bit. I’ll opt for something better if they have it, but Cruzan with its smooth and carmelized nature is my default. Problem is, any given place is four times more likely to have Bicardi or Capt. Morgan than Cruzan, neither of which are nearly as good, IMO.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
My favorite was Ron del Barralito, a prize winning rum, available in two star and three star varieties. I liked the three star for sipping straight, the two star for mixed drinks like rum and tonic.
Once, when 'stranded' at NAS Rosie Roads for a couple of days with a broken jet, my pilot and I ventured out in search of Ron Barralito "quatro" / 4-star rum - at the time rumor had it you could only get 4-stars from the factory.

It was a very interesting adventure and I was thankful my pilot was of hispanic decent and spoke passable Spanish. We eventually found the factory, were told that they only had 1-3 stars available, and bought several cases of 3-star directly from the packing area - I'm sure the manager just pocketed the money but it is a fond memory before the military and Puerto Rico back so adversarial.

We packed every available space in our F-14 with the rum and eventually flew back to Oceana VA via Key West. I drank that 3-star stuff for several years afterwards (and I drank rum a lot back in those days).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Once, when 'stranded' at NAS Rosie Roads for a couple of days with a broken jet, my pilot and I ventured out in search of Ron Barralito "quatro" / 4-star rum - at the time rumor had it you could only get 4-stars from the factory.

It was a very interesting adventure and I was thankful my pilot was of hispanic decent and spoke passable Spanish. We eventually found the factory, were told that they only had 1-3 stars available, and bought several cases of 3-star directly from the packing area - I'm sure the manager just pocketed the money but it is a fond memory before the military and Puerto Rico back so adversarial.

We packed every available space in our F-14 with the rum and eventually flew back to Oceana VA via Key West. I drank that 3-star stuff for several years afterwards (and I drank rum a lot back in those days).
I was stationed at RR for a couple of years in the late 1950s, with a guided missile squadron. Our main purpose was the Regulus missile, we also had KDA target drones for you guys to shoot at.

Then, about a decade later, I was back in the civilian world and I returned to PR to work at the ITT development lab in Rio Piedras.

The 4-star was a myth, but the 3-star was on my shopping list for those weekly trips to the Pueblo supermarket.

I also bought 2-star -- I had a lime tree in my back yard and my neighbor had bananas. The whir of the blender signaled a new batch of banana daiquiris.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That reminds me, I have one bottle left of Ron Del Barallitos 3 star that's unopened that I've had for years in the liquor cabinet from a trip from PR, I need to open it and enjoy it.