SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Photographers: Always insure your gear, especially if you make your living off it.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photographers: Always insure your gear, especially if you make your living off it. Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
Due to a PEBKAC error, my camera rig rolled off a counter top and smashed to the floor. So far the only real casualty seems to be my Tamron 15-30mm. I got on the horn with my agent pretty much immediately, and within 30 minutes they had me squared away and got everything set to do a direct deposit of the insured amount less my deductible, plus I had the new lens ordered and set to be delivered tomorrow.

Sadly I'll still be out the deductible plus the sales tax on the replacement because I neglected to account for tax on my policy, though. Still, I'll take ~$225 over ~$1300 any day of the week.

This could have gone a thousand different ways without the insurance policy, none of them good. As it stands I'm only out a day and a half of work.

The damage:

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah, had some accidents with photo gear but not to that extent.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Not my finest moment, that's for sure.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

Haven't seen PEBKAC used in a while - and yes, I know the acronym.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
What company do you use for insurance? Do they cover theft or damage while traveling?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Currently I'm with Nationwide. I'll have to double check my policy, but I originally purchased the policy in case my gear got stolen, and I believe it covers my gear anywhere in the world.

New lens arrived - I won't be taking it for granted any time soon. What I had done yesterday was try to take a bunch of photos with my 35mm f/2 and then stitch them together. Take it from me: it's more of a headache than it's worth, though if you're really persistent you can get some pretty intriguing results.

I also spoke with the claims adjuster about what to do with the old lens during my call to ensure that . He told me that they usually don't collect on cameras, lenses, computers, guns, and the like, and that it was mine to do with as I wish. I might pack it up and ship it off to see if it's salvageable, and keep it as a spare down the road (right now I'm hanging onto it just in case they decide they do want it).

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Can you send that equipment back for repair, or is it fubar?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
According to Tamron, it's probably salvageable. If it is, $385 plus shipping one way (shipping there is on me, return is on them) flat fee for full refurbishment.

I'm holding on to the lens for the time being, because even though the claims adjuster said they don't want it I want to have it in case they decide they do later.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
What kind of policy are you carrying? Is it a homeowners policy?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
It's a property policy of some sort, with nothing but my cameras, associated accoutrements (lenses, batteries, speedlights, etc.), and the Pelican case on it. Overall, I've got just under $8 grand in gear. I think cameras are usually done under an inland marine policy, but I'm not an insurance agent, nor did I play one on TV.

What I did is what I suggest you do: meet with your insurance agent and speak with them about it. As long as they're at least somewhat competent they'll get you hooked up right.

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
It's a property policy of some sort, with nothing but my cameras, associated accoutrements (lenses, batteries, speedlights, etc.), and the Pelican case on it. Overall, I've got just under $8 grand in gear. I think cameras are usually done under an inland marine policy, but I'm not an insurance agent, nor did I play one on TV.

What I did is what I suggest you do: meet with your insurance agent and speak with them about it. As long as they're at least somewhat competent they'll get you hooked up right.

Inland marine policy. I had one on my gear when I was into this heavily. Replaced a 28 1.4 for me.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Oh, damn. Suddenly I don't feel as bad for destroying my 15-30.

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I really need to do this. I'm what you might call an "avid ameteur". I just upgraded to a Canon 5D4, and have four "L" (as in, "expensive as 'ell") lenses, plus other gear.

I did "lose" my kit 24-105L a few years back when my camera fell off the tripod. Cost me ~$650 for repair, IIRC.

Came across this article a few weeks ago, hope it helps those looking:

https://contrastly.com/insuran...at-you-need-to-know/

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
A few years back I was photographing a flash flood and fell into a large, muddy puddle! My Canon 5D did not survive. the "L" lens did. From that point on I've had a rider on my home owners insurance.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I just added my gear to homeowners. I printed the current webpage from bhphotovideo for each item and insured for that value. $40 per year.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it doesn't cost all that much, especially when you consider what losing all that equipment could set you back should you have to repurchase. Pros pay more, but that's partly because they are often required to purchase stuff like liability and other stuff that applies more towards running a business than protecting their gear.

If you're serious about photography, then it's worth every penny of the premium.

Picture of headcase
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out, you could have been this guy .. LINK

Rumor is that it was being borrowed from Sony, but still....That is somewhere around a 13K lens

SSDD

---------------------------------
He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

Posts: 68 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: March 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post