SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Speaking of batteries...when did they start making them out of platinum?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of batteries...when did they start making them out of platinum? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Power went out last night and the generator failed to start.

A little investigation revealed a dead battery. Hauled one out of the lawn tractor and got it going. In the rain, of course.

Pulled the original this morning and checked it out, failed the load test. Damn thing was only 7 years old, what the hell?

New battery from NAPA flat ruined $150...OTOH, that's about $20/yr so I guess I shouldn't bitch.

Not that that's ever stopped me...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Damn, for a tractor battery —$150.
It’s always raining when the generator battery dies....
Solar powered trickle charger .

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Battery prices seem to have nothing to do with size, weight, amps, etc.
Only how common the exact configuration is and length of the warranty.
I would also look around on the net to compare prices. Sometimes convenience, not a proprietary design, makes them able to gouge you on price. Dealer prices can be much higher than sourcing elsewhere if it's a standard type battery.

Posts: 9503 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Had to replace the two batteries in my 2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax for the first time. Kind of a pain to get to the one in the rear of the engine compartment. No strap to pull it out so that was fun. Went to the the store to get new ones. Ouch! They are pricey. Double the whammy for the diesel.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Damn, for a tractor battery —$150.
It’s always raining when the generator battery dies....
Solar powered trickle charger .

The generator has a charger/maintainer built in that's connected to house voltage. I think that's why it snuck by me.

The weekly test runs were fine because the line voltage charger was still working and picked up the slack.

When the power went out, no charger boost and the weak battery couldn't turn it over.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Battery prices seem to have nothing to do with size, weight, amps, etc.

Not true. Lead is not cheap these days and some batteries have silver in them too. Add in the labor for each step of the building process. It adds up.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lead is not cheap these days …

Especially with the closing of the last smelter.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's not true either. My dad drops off junk and picks up pigs just about every week. Plus, we have our own smelter where we work.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Lead is not cheap these days …

Big Grin

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

I didn't hear that. When did it happen? Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Both my tractor and my standby generator take what I consider automobile level flooded batteries. But their space restrictions are such that the batteries are weird sizes, and not too common BCI group numbers. The tractor is BCI Group 51R, and the genset is Group 29NF. Fortunately, Interstate carries both, so that's what I use, and both run about $150 (I replaced both in the past year). I have not found an AGM battery that will fit either machine.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Both my tractor and my standby generator take what I consider automobile level flooded batteries. But their space restrictions are such that the batteries are weird sizes, and not too common BCI group numbers. The tractor is BCI Group 51R, and the genset is Group 29NF. Fortunately, Interstate carries both, so that's what I use, and both run about $150 (I replaced both in the past year). I have not found an AGM battery that will fit either machine.

Yup, the generator uses a 51R.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
7 years is doing pretty good.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the small batteries have very high cranking amps for their size and the process is different to build them. I'd say at 7 years that you definately got your money's worth. Another battery everyone forgets is the battery backup in their garage door opener. One day mine started beeping/alarming and annoying as hell and took me 4 days to get one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
up, the generator uses a 51R.

The Interstate model number is MT-51R. Don't know why they have to confuse things by adding prefixes. I went to their site to search for a 51R, and got no results. Only by searching in DDG did I get the reference to the MT-51R. It is almost identical in dimensions to the BCI Group 51R. 1/16" taller, but that's negligible.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Be happy with what we got and have to pay for. I listen to Old time radio on XM while driving from job to job and one of the vintage adds is for a battery that you only have to put water in 3 times a year. I'm sure many of y'all remember having to check the water level in batteries.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'm sure many of y'all remember having to check the water level in batteries.....

I remember well, because I still have to do it. The two batteries I mentioned above are only available in flooded. No AGM will fit the weird sizes (BCI group numbers 51R and 29NF).

When in doubt, mumble

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'm sure many of y'all remember having to check the water level in batteries.....

I remember well, because I still have to do it. The two batteries I mentioned above are only available in flooded. No AGM will fit the weird sizes (BCI group numbers 51R and 29NF).

Diehard makes a 51R AGM $199 plus core charge at Advanced Auto who now owns diehard. That being said, I don't think you'd get more than 7 years out of it either.

https://shop.advanceautoparts....gQodM7wAnw&gclsrc=ds

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The 51R that fits my generator is lead/acid but it's sealed - no fill caps.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

The generator has a charger/maintainer built in that's connected to house voltage. I think that's why it snuck by me.

The weekly test runs were fine because the line voltage charger was still working and picked up the slack.

When the power went out, no charger boost and the weak battery couldn't turn it over.

I'm just surprised how they did this. Weekly test to allow the generator to start using grid electricity that won't be there when you actually need the generator to start.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post