SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Double sales taxed on new cell phone purchase ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double sales taxed on new cell phone purchase ? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
So I took wife to Best Buy to get a new phone and they had Samsungs for great prices just before Black Friday.

She picked one out and originally was going to get it unlocked and counter guy looks up our ATT plan and says we can get a better deal if we go with that and I say OK. It was a replacement phone for my wife and we used ATT for 24 payments zero interest. Then he says we have to pay sales tax today and I said OK if that is the way it is.

So I get my ATT bill today and I am comparing it to the old one as it was supposed to go up $30 for activation fee and $25.63 for first payment. Well there was a $2.41 difference. I found it to be for sales tax payment on just her phone number (other phones are paid in full) for state. city, and county sales tax that was not on last bill for her phone number with old paid off phone.

So I called ATT today and talked to very nice lady and I explained to her that I paid the full 7.5 tax rate on the full purchase price of the phone already and she that was correct that Best Buy did charge me sales tax. She saw what I was talking about and said that was probably a tax for cell phone "usage" but I explained to her that this was a new charge on this bill and for the three items on the bill that show "sales tax" and there is a separate line for state/municipal telecommunications tax of $3.92 for just this phone number. Then she said hmm and was not sure why that was there LOL. So she elevated it for investigation and I am supposed to hear back from them within a couple weeks.

Hopefully they get this resolved or a satisfactory explanation. Anyone else go through something like this?

Here is a copy of that portion of the bill. The items in question are lines 12,13, and 15. The other two lines have only lines 14 and 16. Previous several bills all three phone numbers showed only lines 14 and 16. $2.41 does not sound like much but over 24 months that is $57.84 and I hate the thought of paying Illinois tax twice.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Phone taxes suck.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomS:
Phone taxes suck.

LOL, no kidding. I also asked the Best Buy guy why I had to pay sales tax on the full price of the phone and not the sale price. He said that's the way it is with cell phones, ugh. I wish now I had gone with the unlocked price and be done with it as it was not much higher.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:...

This is why I dumped Sprint and now have Tracfone. I prepay for a minute card and pay sales tax plus a small excise tax.

With Sprint I was paying over $10 a month just in fees/surcharges with no minute rollover.

These added fees are a cash cow for cities and counties.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I don't blame you one bit. We may be looking for something similar sooner than later.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Cricket uses the AT&T network. Might look them up.

They have some sort of deal now, 4 lines with unlimited data for $100. We have 3 lines with unlimited data along with tethering for my phone and I pay $100/month. Don't need a 4th line so I have an older plan.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Dress up like an Indian and throw your cell phone in the harbor.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best Buy

I will not walk in that store. 20 years ago I was overcharged $13 for a cable I did buy on a $750 total ticket. When I discovered the error and tried to return the unopened packaged cable for a refund, they refused.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
It's Illinois. What did you expect?

Tax on tax on tax.... Eek

Someone's got to bail the state out.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cricket

+1

Highly satisfied Cricket customer here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ask AT&T to remove the $30 charge. I had them remove it when I purchased a phone for Mrs. K they did it with no issues. Used the chat function and did not even need to speak with anyone.

-K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Well just got the latest bill and not more sales tax charges Smile, so worth taking the time to call them.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
Best Buy

I will not walk in that store. 20 years ago I was overcharged $13 for a cable I did buy on a $750 total ticket. When I discovered the error and tried to return the unopened packaged cable for a refund, they refused.

I hate Best Buy! They are arrogant, over priced, unhelpful! Will not go in there again! EVER

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post