SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No, don't bother leashing your dog
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No, don't bother leashing your dog Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
I always have my dogs on a leash if they're outside in an area that isn't fenced.

Took the pit bull outside for a potty break yesterday afternoon. One family at the end of the street love letting their shi tzu run around without a collar/leash. We are across the street, lady comes out to her car to leave with the dog. Dog is off leash and runs across the street towards us.

My dog does not like that dog for some reason, my dog snapped at the small dog and it ran away. Owner comes running up saying how I need to control my dog. I damn near lost it. I told her, "you're supposed to have your dog on a leash. You're telling me I need to control my dog on a leash when your dog is running around without a leash?"

She got defensive and said, "you need to respect other dogs" and at that point I called her crazy and walked away.

My dog is on a 6 foot leash and if your dog off leash decides to run across the cul de sac to my dog, that's your problem.

Posts: 13052 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
A lot of people that own dogs are inconsiderate assholes and don't think about others. That percentage goes up the smaller and froufrou-ier the dog is. I don't like dogs, but I hate a lot of dog owners. My yard is not a litter box. I also don't care how friendly your dog is I want him restrained at all times.

Guess who paid for all three of my ER visits from dog bites? I give you a clue, it wasn't the owners.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20764 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Totally agree. We were at the dog park the other day, a lady let her kids run around in there, running over the ramps and everywhere. A girl ran by our rotty, she got excited and chased her for a second. The girls mom freaked out and started yelling at us to control our dog. I had to hold back my Fiancee, I calmly pointed to the sign that said " DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN RUN AROUND THE DOG PARK"

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
You have an evil dangerous pit bull so obviously your dog must have been at fault. It probably used helpless kittens to lure the other dog over.

What part of this are you not understanding? Razz

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
A lot of people that own dogs are inconsiderate assholes and don't think about others.

Beat me to it... And if you say anything, your a dog hater Roll Eyes

Dog shits all over the place/my place, w/o clean-up, no biggie to these assholes. Dog barks all fucking day and night, depriving me of peace and quiet, tough shit when you ask it to stop... "Hey, that's what dogs do". Dog drags tiny owner toward me, snapping like a piranha 1' away, I tell them to GTF back; not even a sorry that my dog nearly mauled you. Go to a nice party, and the #80 dog is jumping wildly at the food I brought, then jumping all over me, muzzle to the nuts... Aww, look how cute, then in a tepid, 1 db 'scolding', "no fluffy".

Fishing on the beach, and your dog decides my 8", 3 oz casting plug is a fetch toy, and nearly gets a face full of trebbles is now my issue. Same beach, and the owner of one dog thinks it's OK for their mutt to rummage through my bait bucket... Times a million more instances, of pure asshole owners.

No I HATE a lot of dog owners, not the dogs, and the world is chocked full of these pricks.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I like dogs. I really do. Most dogs are way better than most people.

But I always carry a stout cane, just in case.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

^^This

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

^^This

I know Mr Tail is probably trying to be diplomatic for the dog lovers, which I'm one of, but I've been close to shooting a dog in the face because it was loose and charged me, my Mrs, and our dog who just happened to be leashed. He was leashed because I'm a civilized human being, but that's another story. Anyhow, as we walked the neighborhood, I hear a hound making a serious racket in the distance. The hooting and hollering got louder and I turned around to see what was going on. As this beast emerged from the shadows, I was in awe because I didn't remember buying a house in an equine neighborhood. At any rate, my Mrs was handling our pup (by design), a tenacious 45lb Aussie who thinks he's larger than life. The aforementioned "Oscar" wanted loose so he could put this 100+ hound in its place. In the 2 seconds it took this hound to cover about 80 yards, I'd stepped between my family and the dog, pulled my cover garment and bladed. The hound slowed it pace and stopped about 15 yards from us and just barked and made bunch of fuss. It was clear he didn't want any further mischief and I felt we weren't in any danger. As we retreated, I was thankful I didn't have to kill someones dog, but for the love of God, keep your animals under control.

Theres another woman in the neighborhood, a real slag, who lets her spunky Pug run around unleashed. I got a call from my Mrs one night and she explained while walking our pup Oscar, the pug got aggressive and was menacing her and Oscar. Oscar was flopping around like a marlin trying to get free of it's hook, or in this case his leash, presumably to protect himself/my wife and rag doll the fuck out of this little pug. The woman was indignant about the situation. I told my wife the next time that happens to let Oscar go and I'll just assume that'll be the last time this woman or the pug are a nuisance.

I love dogs, I really do, but I have zero issue dispatching a wild animal if I find myself in an unfortunate situation. I may even have some harsh language for its owner.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I assume we have leash laws here? Even if we didn't, don't you think it would be common sense to leash your dog? If it weren't running after other dogs, you don't think it will run onto the street? Our neighborhood backs up to an area that has a lot of small wildlife such as raccoons and armadillos, those small dogs wouldn't stand a chance.

Dumb shit like this makes me start wanting to wear my GoPro around so if a dumb ass wants to call the cops I'll have the entire interaction on video.

Back in El Paso I was walking our dog one day and someone had left their GSD out front with a chain on its collar. I do not believe most collars are that strong, the dog was tugging on it pretty hard. It was after I saw that when I started carrying the .357 SIG more than the 9mm.

I wonder how these people raise their kids if they can't even get something as simple as dog ownership right.

Posts: 13052 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aloha,

If Oscar is an Australian Cattle Dog, the other dog is in deep Do Do.

Cow dogs can handle the Heat of the Australian Outback and herd the ornery cattle.

At our previous home, our cow dogs put the "Fear of DOG" into people and other dogs

when they hit the chain link fence.

They sleep with one eye open and can go to Full Alert in a micro second.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I genuinely love dogs, but I'm picking up what you're putting down, OP.

Growing up, we had a golden retriever who was about as big as they ever get - in the 90-100lb range, who, funny enough, spent his first year and a half of life as a street dog, so he knew a thing or two and could handle himself against sizeable critters. A lot of raccoons met their end by that dog.

One summer day my brother and I are walking to the of our country lane to pick up the mail, our feet firmly on my family's property. When a neighbor whose property bordered ours cut her little terriers loose. Her gate was wide open, and the little terriers bolted for us, yip-yapping the whole way. Two of the terriers pull up some 20 feet away, deciding they don't want to buy any bit of what my now growling, snarling 90+ lb golden is selling (goldens are typically such sweet and happy dogs, to see one acting aggressive is almost beyond imagination). Well, the boldest of the little terriers isn't quite so smart, and it presses it's charge. That is, until my golden pounces on it (in spite of Kevin and I both hauling on his leash for all we were worth), scoops up the little terrier in his jaw, shakes, and throws it. It's the same move I'd seen the dog do to kill raccoons and opossums several times. The little white terrier lay still for a few heartbeats - Kevin and i watching, now horrified and sure that the little terrier was dead, with it's owner now briskly walking out of her yard, trying to corral her terriers.

Thankfully, the little dog rose to it's feet and scampered back home, miraculously. It was a very tough little critter to take the punishment it did. The neighbor wasn't too upset, actually - I think she knew it was her mistake.

Sorry your neighbor is so clueless.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a neighbor who would not leash his dog. I was jogging down the street (no sidewalks) and the dog came charging out in the street barking at me. I stopped and almost had to kick the dog. This guy would also walk the dog daily with no leash.

I yell at him about controlling his dog and he says he will not hurt you. He doesnt like being on a leash.

Ironically not too long after the wife ran the dog over in the driveway.

A hole neighbor gets a new dog and low and behold this dog is not on a leash either.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were walking our 105 lb GSD mix on a leash when an unleashed bulldog ran out of it's yard and attacked.
My wife who was holding our dogs leash called out to the owner several times to call off their dog or she would have to release our dog.
Asshole never called off the bulldog and it ended up returning home bloodied.
We called our dog back from the area of the melee and resumed walking her on her leash.

Edited to Add: Not quite certain if LDD's post below was in reference to mine so I will add a bit of clarification.
The Bulldog ran out of it's yard at least half a block away into a public area in our community.
The dogs were probably 3/4 block away from the yard when our dog was finally released and kicked the Bulldogs ass.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve 22X,

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My dog lives here. Yours doesn't.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
My dog lives here. Yours doesn't.

Nice double entendre Cool

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20764 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a shame dogs have to deal with some people.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13387 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
There is some karma. The county park where I walk my dog has lease laws. There is a sign at every parking area and entrance that all dogs must be on a leash. Mr. and Mrs. Wafflestomper in their Sunday Jaunt to the Park clothes are walking Freemont, a beautiful Golden, on the hiking trail. The very same hiking trail that doubles as a bridle path. Yup, Freemont is SO well behaved that he needs no lease. The alure of fresh road apples was too great and the Wafflestomper's were last seen desperately calling Freemont, alas to no avail.

My leashed dog and I easy avoided the whole mess.

It is amazing to me the number of dog owners that are absolutely clueless. When I ask that you not bring your dog over to "meet" my dog, I mean it. If I need to issue the directive a second time my tone will be far more firm. If we need a third time, you will be offended (which usually results in the clueless backing away, thereby achieving my goal).

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The area I used to live in has a lot of dogs, mostly Lab and Lab mixes, with a lot of German Shepherds and recently Pit Bull mixes. I used to take my Pit Mix (He was the only one back then, and most people had no clue what he was) for 3 mile walks and the number of dogs running loose was always a shock to me. Adding in the dogs that escaped their yards to the ones that just ran loose, I would say there were always at least 9-10 running loose at any one time. Most were in the 75-100 pound range. My dog was attacked many times over his lifetime and even after some of the dogs ran home after he finally retaliated and chewed them up, they didn't do anything. One woman yelled at me after her dog ran across a busy road to attack my dog. He didn't get any slack, as he had attacked my dog previously. My did instantly retaliated and he ran for home with some ear and neck damage. Suddenly, she opens up the side door for him and starts yelling at me, saying she called the police and animal control. I don't know what she was thinking, as they ended up giving her a ticket for letting her dog run loose. That dog continued to run loose until it died at almost 14. Another one who gave my dog trouble was a black Lab named Omar, who fathered an amazing number of puppies around the area and was known to the police and animal control just by his name, decided to hump my dog and while it didn't get rolling, there were snaps back and forth and Omar was outgunned by Gus about 2 to 1, both in mouth/head size, and probably 5 to 1 in bite power. Omar wasn't stupid and would never attack Gus but he had a habit of following close and making Gus uncomfortable. I tried to reason with his lawyer owner, but never got anywhere with convincing him to keep his dog on a leash, and maybe neutering him. BTW, the owner and his wife are some of the most vocal right to life people in the area. I guess that extended to dogs too.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Have an amazingly irresponsible neighbor who thankfully is almost a mile away. Years back her Rottweiler would wander onto my property and cause issues with my own dogs. I talked to this woman about it three times but being the irresponsible twat she is...it fell on deaf ears.

One day I was installing a new bottom track for our one sliding door on the patio. Had a mess of tools there, to include a rubber mallet with a long, wooden handle.

I hear a big growling, snarling match and run out to see the rotty has my male Siberian, BY THE THROAT in the corner of the house. I grabbed the rubber mallet and whacked it VERY HARD on the side of it's head. It immediately went limp. It was breathing but I really thought I killed it.

My dog luckily had on a new, fairly wide, heavy nylon collar. I swear that collar saved his life. He had a few punctures and coughed for a few days....but did OK.

I was VERY tempted to simply shoot the dog and be done with it but didn't. Few minutes later the dog roused, could barely get up, but within half an hour was able to walk and got headed home. He NEVER stepped foot on the property again. He also never barked at me again.

Few things annoy me as bad as irresponsible pet owners. OP....I can relate to your angst.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ I wouldn't have hesitated on bit in shooting it. Not even a split second. Part of the reason, beyond being bit numerous times I hate dogs, was because I watched my childhood dog get attacked by a loose dog. I watched him take his last breath in my father's arms while in route to emergency vet. That was the day I started hating dogs (and even more so their owners).

I don't trust any dog now. Dozens of stitches later and digging a grave in rock filled land for 12+ hours ruined me on dogs. 9/10 it's the owners fault, but none are trusted by me now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis