SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No, don't bother leashing your dog
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No, don't bother leashing your dog Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:

It is amazing to me the number of dog owners that are absolutely clueless. When I ask that you not bring your dog over to "meet" my dog, I mean it. If I need to issue the directive a second time my tone will be far more firm. If we need a third time, you will be offended (which usually results in the clueless backing away, thereby achieving my goal).

So many times walking my Shiba Inu's, on leash, some body will let their leashed dog run up to Sebastian and Copper, telling me " My dog isn't agressive."

And my reply is "How do you know mine isn't?"

Shiba Inu's on average are territorial and not dog friendly.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family always had a dog when we were growing up, and I loved them, but as years went on I favored cats. Now I don't trust dogs. My land lord had two for several years, a GSD and what I think is a yellow lab. Both very territorial, but the land lord said they were "harmless." I didn't trust them.

The two dogs got into a fight several months ago, and the lab killed the GDS.

I'd love to have a dog, but I'll never trust them.

By the way, he never leashed them.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of hiking on a nearby mountain trail that is loaded with porcupines and black bears. People take their dogs and rarely have them on a leash. I've seen several dogs come off the mountain with a face full of quills. I always try to warn people to leash their dogs to avoid that but they never seem to listen. Roll Eyes

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
City couple brought Rover to the country for a walk off his leash.

Rover jumped a deer and was last seen headed over the ridge in hot pursuit.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

I was hunting turkey on private property once and the landowner said "We have a bunch of dogs that like to run the deer until the deer fall over from exhaustion and eventually die. If you see any dogs running deer on my land - shoot the dogs."

Luckily I didn't see any. It would be hard to shoot a dog, but I do see where the land owner is coming from. No one wants dogs running game animals down...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

I was hunting turkey on private property once and the landowner said "We have a bunch of dogs that like to run the deer until the deer fall over from exhaustion and eventually die. If you see any dogs running deer on my land - shoot the dogs."

Luckily I didn't see any. It would be hard to shoot a dog, but I do see where the land owner is coming from. No one wants dogs running game animals down...

Feral dogs will run cattle, deer, etc. I don't consider them dogs, just wild animals. Had one tangle with a bull once. Bull 1 - Dog 0.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most Counties have leash laws. Unfortunately many people who live outside the city limits think they do not need a leash. I live in the country and do not let my dogs run loose, unless I am in my own yard with him. But I went through a phase where I was riding a bike daily and rode around 2 country blocks out here. It was impossible. Everybody let there dog loose and they would attack me.
I tried spraying water from a spray bottle to no avail. Finally I got my Dobe on his leash and let him run along with me. Some of the dogs would not come out with him there, but one did. He ran after us and I tried to outrun him, until I could not, then I through the leash down and told my dog to get him. I kept riding and when I turned around I saw he had the other dog by the throat and had him on his back...I whistled and he let go and came running. That dog never bothered me again.

A guy who worked with me, took exception to this story when I told him. He said there is NO reason he should not be allowed to let his dog loose on his property. I told him, if he is lucky, he will never find out. But, he was not. A UPS man brought a package to his house and got bit. He found out that he was wrong...or at least in the eyes of the law, he was wrong.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post