SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'll be back - on the way to Germany to kick some engineer square in the junk for battery location
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'll be back - on the way to Germany to kick some engineer square in the junk for battery location Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot imagine what the replacement battery costs, with that funny positive terminal. It certainly is not a regular BCI group number.

The positive post is "normal", just a vertical knob. The connector on the end of the cable is what has the weird angled bolt to allow access from the backseat to something that's almost up to the dashboard.

The group size is 49 I believe, with an H8 designation, and it's apparently used by other cars. Other cars with unhappy home mechanics I suspect.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling.
On my 1997 Dodge Viper i need to remove the left rear tire and part of the inner wheel well to get to a tray that holds the battery.The tray is fixed so you need to manhandle the battery out of the hole it is in and try not to drop it.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Doesn't AutoZone do free battery replacements?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Like egregore said, it's that way in American cars too. My 2017 Traverse has it hid behind the front passenger's seat and the rear passenger's seat.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Uh, yeah... When the instructions for some routine car maintenance start with Step 1: Get a knife and cut open the carpet, then you know some "book-smart but world-dumb" engineer really fucked something up.

Absolutely. I still can't get over who thought cutting the carpet up was a good idea. Eek

I'm also wondering why it needs a "battery hold down bracket". Does the battery really need to be secured in that under-seat well? - or, is it German over-engineering?

I think it's the latter, and it's why I prefer Japanese cars.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I think it's the latter, and it's why I prefer Japanese cars.

I could be wrong, but I think car batteries are required to have hold-down brackets -- it's a safety thing in case of collision.

Yeah, I know... it doesn't seem to make sense when one has to wedge the darned thing into place to begin with. But it's an FMVSS* thing, I believe.

Anecdotal: Every car battery I've removed has had a hold-down of some kind.

For what it's worth: To date, I've owned seven Japanese, one German, and one Swedish.

- - - -

* FMVSS: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

I could be wrong, but I think car batteries are required to have hold-down brackets -- it's a safety thing in case of collision.

Thanks, I did not know that.

The thought of German engineers and U.S. regulations is kind of scary. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Advance and O'Reilly also do them, but I seriously doubt if they would do a complicated one like that.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Advance and O'Reilly also do them, but I seriously doubt if they would do a complicated one like that.

Even better when you order this you’re cautioned to have a “professional” installation, not to be attempted by owners. Roll Eyes

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
To the original poster....I have that exact same model 2014 mercedes. I am so not looking forward to changing the battery. I will have to look and see if mine has ever been changed.

Posts: 315 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something good came out of this thread for me. I saw that my Durango also had the underseat battery and I went on YT to see how to remove it if the need arose.
And there was a video by some dude who showed a "smugglers box" was located under the front drivers seat. I checked and sure enough, there is a good sized plastic lined box under the seat. I trimmed up some rubber liner and am using it to keep some lesser used stuff in it.
Bonus!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Older (air cooled) VW Beetles had their battery mounted under the back seat. Most of them that I’ve owned also had a rusted-out body pan under the back seat from battery boil-over.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Porsche wants you to bring it in. Even if you were handy enough to remove the driver's seat, swap the battery and put the seat back in, you can't reprogram the computer to recognize that it's got a new battery.

I admit I have a thing for the Panemara, but the difficulty of basic maintenance procedures that I could do in the driveway with my domestic brand cars has me disinclined to purchase one any time soon.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Older (air cooled) VW Beetles had their battery mounted under the back seat. Most of them that I’ve owned also had a rusted-out body pan under the back seat from battery boil-over.

It didn't do the seat springs any good, either.

GM trucks approx. 2001-05 mounted their windshield washer reservoirs/pumps under the battery tray. Batteries would often leak acid and eat up usually the pump (if a Tahoe, Yukon or Suburban, there are two), but also the line and even the reservoir itself sometimes. The first sign of this would be when you filled the fluid and it all ran out on the ground. But at least their batteries were easy.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try changing the batteries on a humvee, both are under the passenger seat and are flippin huge and heavy

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post