SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Your inability to manage your time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your inability to manage your time Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I wonder if this is an aviation and/or military type of attitude?

Possibly.

For work I get awakened 3 hours ahead of the flights, and I go on duty at the plane typically 90 minutes prior to the flight departure (this is contractual as well as company policy). There are frequent delays, but it isn't us.

Typically a crew can get the plane ready in 15 minutes or so. The rest of the circus is waiting on everyone else to do their job.

As a passenger, I just don't feel right if I'm not at the gate 45 minutes prior.

Of course, my mom was a preacher's daughter, and she got me into the habit of "If you're early, you're on time, if you're on time, you're late, and if you're late, you're dead" from an early age.

As to medic15al's point. I take the mentality "If you're early, you're on time" as a recognition that I do not know all the things that can delay me enroute, so if "early" is my "on time" then I can make sure that I meet the host/supervisor/etc's "on time" and not be rude.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by medic15al:
15 mins early is 15 mins early

On time is on time.

Piss on that horseshit about "unless you are 15 mins early you are late"

Stupidest concept ever put out.

Call for medical help and let them use that attitude.

Absolutely!!

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The "early is on time, etc." for me was due to my mother was married to a couple of military guys. One Navy and one USAF, and when I was in, both flight crew member and when I was a Crew Chief, it was the rule.

You could always piss away "front time" (being early), but if you miss a hacked time, you fucked yourself, and I never saw anyone un-fuck themselves.

Or maybe it was The Story About Ping...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Military Time:

15 minutes early is On Time.

On Time is late.

Late is unacceptable.

This is the way I was raised. It created some real tension when one of my sisters married into a Mexican family. The party would start at 5:00 and we were all there by 4:45, ready to start eating at 5:00. They would all come strolling in around 6:30. The first couple of times we waited for them, trying to be nice, and excusing it on “their culture”. It didn’t take long and the general consensus was, bull crap, you are just being rude and inconsiderate. We’ll start the party at 5:00, hope there is some food left for you when you decide to finally drag your butt over here. Culture my butt, you’re in the US of A now, get with the program.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Military Time:

15 minutes early is On Time.

On Time is late.

Late is unacceptable.

This is the way I was raised. It created some real tension when one of my sisters married into a Mexican family. The party would start at 5:00 and we were all there by 4:45, ready to start eating at 5:00. They would all come strolling in around 6:30. The first couple of times we waited for them, trying to be nice, and excusing it on “their culture”. It didn’t take long and the general consensus was, bull crap, you are just being rude and inconsiderate. We’ll start the party at 5:00, hope there is some food left for you when you decide to finally drag your butt over here. Culture my butt, you’re in the US of A now, get with the program.

+1

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post