SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When will I ever learn?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will I ever learn? Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
A few years ago what I thought was a great friend of 32 years needed some cabinets made in a little apartment he converted in his shop that he rents out to college kids or who ever. I built this small kitchen and a bath vanity, I had $518 dollars in materials and 28 hours of labor, when I was finished he said how much do I owe you? I showed him the receipts and how many hours in the project and he was completely happy and so was his wife. only charged time and materials and the invoice came to $2192 dollars. Doing a buddy a favor Roll Eyes at that time I asked him if he would just be interested in doing a trade for a security system for a house I planned on building and he was eager to take that deal, no money at the time out of his pocket.

Few years went by and we haven't built the house yet, but the wife wanted a couple of security cameras installed with our current system because there have been a couple of break ins around the neighborhood, I texted my so called friend and said that I was interested in getting some cameras put in and reminded him of the trade deal we made and said I would just like to apply that to the set up, the first thing that he said was I don't have any cameras and they are real expensive but he did have a used dvr player I could have and he would help me run the wires if I found some cameras. WTF ?? You are a security salesmen at one of the biggest local electrical outfits and don't have cameras? and you do this every day? security business is booming here in Oregon because of the new pot laws and he has told me about some of the large system he has done and the ton of money there are making.

I texted him back and said I didn't think I was getting a fair deal and reminded him of the invoice numbers, I also asked him what do cameras cost and what would the labor be to have one of his electricians hook it up. I could easily do it myself but that's not the point. That was 60 days ago without any reply, I know he read my text as he started to reply to it and the text says read. There has been nothing but silence like he fell off the face of the earth. I know he is not broke because a week later he went to Bandon dunes golf resort with his son and played 4 rounds of golf that's a minimum of 800 bucks. his wife has posted on face book about a recent vacation they took as well.

I have golfed and fished with this guy countless times for 32 years, went to school from first grade on with his wife, and we have been texting each other 2 to times a week for a few years now about the weekend plans. b.s. e.t.c. considered him to be one of my best friends and just like that, it's over for a few hundred dollars and him taking care of his end of the deal. I called him but he wont pick up the phone it just goes to his machine. considered going to his house and try and talk to him but that just seems so awkward and confrontational.

I talked to a couple of friends about this over breakfast and one said I should just send him an invoice if he isnt going live up to his end of the deal. Wife says just forget about it and move on don't have any contact with him he knows what he did was wrong and has no plans of doing the right thing.

We had allot of good laughs together and some epic fishing trips but after this I just don't think we could continue like nothing happenend. pretty sad when you think you know someone and this happens.

what should I do? My thoughts right now are to wait another month at 90 days and send him a invoice with a letter. this really sucks like a gut punch.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't wait a month. I would talk to him face to face. Remind him of the deal you made, show him the invoice you gave him at the time and let him decide either he do right by you or pay the invoice.

I had a similar friend from high school. Back then he would call me up at 3 am because he was stuck out on the road with no money and gas and I would come and help him.

Adulthood came and for about 3 years, I did his taxes for him on Turbo Tax. Fourth year, I said I was going to charge him to help defray my cost on the tax program, after that, he said he went to a tax professional and paid them. So if it was for free, he was happy to use my services but if I was going to charge him, he was going to go to a professional.

Then his wife would ask me to look over some contract. I asked did you even look at it first? No. Then I'm going to have to charge you for my time. They said no.

I dropped him as a "friend" eventually.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I wouldn't wait a month. I would talk to him face to face. Remind him of the deal you made, show him the invoice you gave him at the time and let him decide either he do right by you or pay the invoice.

After that ^^^^^ I’d never ever allow him in my house to do any work. No telling what he’d screw up.

We’re done. Over. Finished. It’s too late.

Then have your attorney send him a letter demanding he follow your agreement, certified mail return receipt. Maybe his wife will open it up and then kick his ass. It’d be worth whatever it costs.

If you have a signed agreement can you attach a lien to the property?

After that, don’t let it consume you. Move on. Live in peace.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m sad that he did this to you. I hate being disappointed by people I placed my trust in and cared for. It feels like betrayal.

If it’s not a financial burden to you, then I’d agree with your wife.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stay Classy!!
Picture of Crockett040
posted Hide Post
I would just send the invoice over. If you think that the friendship won't recover just rip off the bandaid.

I would not let it go. If he will do it to a friend, he will do it to anybody that gives him a chance.

Posts: 396 | Location: Iowa | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'd send your invoice to him for the cabinet/bathroom work with the following note attached...

"Hey man...I know we agreed to "swap" your security goods and services for this, but it's taking us longer than expected to build our new house and rather than keep you in limbo with installing the security system for us as we agreed, let's just settle up on this now and when you install our security system in the new home, we'll settle with you. Let's get a beer!"

You'll know EXACTLY where you stand when you get his response or non-response...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
“Wife says just forget about it and move on don't have any contact with him he knows what he did was wrong and has no plans of doing the right thing.”

I agree with your wife. Life’s too short to waste any more time trying to salvage this relationship.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I'd send your invoice to him for the cabinet/bathroom work with the following note attached...

"Hey man...I know we agreed to "swap" your security goods and services for this, but it's taking us longer than expected to build our new house and rather than keep you in limbo with installing the security system for us as we agreed, let's just settle up on this now and when you install our security system in the new home, we'll settle with you. Let's get a beer!"

You'll know EXACTLY where you stand when you get his response or non-response...
^^ THIS ^^

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
“Wife says just forget about it and move on don't have any contact with him he knows what he did was wrong and has no plans of doing the right thing.”

I agree with your wife. Life’s too short to waste any more time trying to salvage this relationship.

Relationship is over. Might as well pursue the money now, with maximum vigor and effort.

What an asshole.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Damage is done. I agree with your wife, it's sad but you're never going to look at him the same again, even if he shows up tomorrow to do it.

I would do 2 things: send him an invoice for what you'd charge anyone else, and never reach out to him again. You already know he will never pay it, but on the bright side you've learned who's a friend and who isn't, and word gets around.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

This ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

This ^^^^^

Was going to join your wife's side but maybe try this first. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Yeah, swapping cabinets for a later return didn't work for me either. I quoted a custom commercial trash can enclosure for a bagel shop I frequented and offered to swap for bagels. The owner jumped on it. After about a month of bagels and coffee I started getting the stink-eye; after 3 months the owner mentioned she was tired of my free loading.

I agree with your wife. I know you are disappointed in your friend but just move on. Offering to swap for a future payment (a couple of years went by) was a fatal mistake, as you now realize.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
A wise man once said, "You want loyalty, buy a dog."
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
Nothing good will come from pursuing this. Write it off as a bad debt and consider it a life lesson and cut ties with this dirtbag. The cutting ties will at least keep him from bugging you to borrow stuff or have you do work for him.

Like loaning a douche acquaintance $20, knowing he will spend the rest of his days avoiding you in order to not have to pay you back. Money well spent... Your's is just more expensive.

I agree with this. Unless you had written agreement at the time, and still have it, consider it a loss. move on and cut this douchebag out of your life completely.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Always take cash in hand, that was your mistake.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Always take cash in hand, that was your mistake.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Big Grin

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Send him a letter of intent.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Call the guy's wife, she was in on the original deal...

If he isn't man enough to keep his word, ask her to nag him into doing it.
Big Grin

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post