SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stop calling military weaponry "ordinance!"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stop calling military weaponry "ordinance!" Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted

Definition of Ordnance
Definition of Ordinance

I have only one nerve left, and this gets on it.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It’s an English language thing. We love to insert a vowel between two consonants.

Husq-a-varna for Husqvarna,
Real-a-tor for Realtor.

Show us a Polish word or name and we cannot even get started on the pronunciation.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There ought to be a law against it, or at least an ordinance.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Nuculear Ordinance is the most potenente.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Most comunitees have ordnances against ordinance.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, OP. As was explained to me in the Ordnance Officer Basic Course, sometime in the 15 or 1600s the English used one (ordinance) to address construction of roads, bridges, buildings, etc; and the other (ordnance) specifically for military equipment (firelocks, cannon, edged weapons).

At least that's what they told us. Maybe people back then were, like today, just shitty spellers.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I live in Westminster, MA. Even some people that live here say West Minister. WTF.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I mixed up cavalry for calvary once. Got some shit for that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Ath-A-lete
Biath-A-lon
Triath-A-lon
Decath-A-lon
Ti-A-juana

It's everywhere ...

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mischievious

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the preacher from West Minister Cathredal.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
There ought to be a law against it, or at least an ordinance.

Nicely played.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post