SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate giving Narcan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate giving Narcan Login/Join 
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I know nothing about medical stuff.

But it's sad that NARCAN has become a household word that even I am aware of.

How did this happen?

Around here it seems to be the hot feel good thing that politicians have glommed onto. I’d rather we carried a little extra of what ails them and help them finish the job. Many problems solved at once.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

How did this happen?

Let me give the Cliff Notes.

People started doing the opiod drugs Fentanyl and Carefentanyl.

Those are opiods that are far, far more potent than heroin.

Addicts tried them, liked the effect and began preferentially using them.

Then there were quality issues, for example some batches on the street were 5% while others were 95%. So addicts seeking a longer, more intense high would shoot 0.5mg of 5%, like it, then shoot 0.9mg not knowing it was 95%. Instant OD.

Enter EMS with Narcan, a competitive antagonist that reverses (so to speak) the effect of the opioid. Addict wakes up. Sometimes.

Then Mommy Sue had Baby Doper die from using dangerous drugs of unknown purity, so she got the attention of people who advocate for the addict population, and now they want Narcan more available than condoms and Coca Cola. This instead of getting Baby Doper off drugs.

And you know who has been really hurt by this shitstorm? People who use opiod medications, as prescribed to manage chronic pain. As a result of the addict community using illicit dangerous drugs of unknown quality and purity to OD, people who were compliant with a drug-based pain management regime are having their access restricted, and the dosage cut to a level set by some nameless, faceless unaccountable bureaucrat who knows nothing about the compliant patients' condition, pain level, or success using the drugs properly.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:

How did this happen?

Well, ask your politicians. Opioid addiction is a "disease" and overdose is an "epidemic." Of course no one gave a shit until white, middle-class America started overdosing.

And Ward and June Cleaver couldn't believe Wally and the Beaver would just find their gateway to the underworld of heroin on their own so they need to blame unscrupulous and/or irresponsible doctors for giving out too much prescription opiates.

And that pretty much sums it up IMHO

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Don't.......................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4574 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Don't.......................
this ^ I believe in my tiny state of NH, the previous Governor(Hassan) put 10 million of taxpayer money for Narcan and OD stations. I do not want my hard earned money going to save them. I realize Im a dick, but thats my $$ saving. thier sorry asses.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5296 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post