SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate giving Narcan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate giving Narcan Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Back when I was a baby nurse, giving Narcan used to be fun. Kind of fun to watch the come to Jesus moment and the buzzkill. Anymore it sucks, it just means I've got to put up with their shit afterwards.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
The way they look at it you mugged them and took their high.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Have an IRS agent audit them after they wake up.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can imagine. I’d hate to deal with their nonsense afterwards.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Silicone spray comes with a little spray nozzle taped to the side.
Maybe Narcan can tape nightsticks for you...

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We used to give it in 0.2mg increments, just to get them breathing. Was very frowned upon to actually wake them up.

Now slamming 2 to 4 milligrams is all the rage, and bringing them immediately back to the world.

I remember an old-head medic telling me once, "They are not suffering from a narcan deficiency. They are suffering from an oxygen deficiency. So give them just enough narcan to fix the oxygen problem".

Personally not a fan of the "narcan them until they are fighting" philosophy.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there no way to administer it via enema?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Is there no way to administer it via enema?

Would you really want to do that? Big Grin

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask them to sign a Consent To Treatment form before you administer. Problem solved.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom was a nurse's aid in a Vet's hospital for a long long time.

it wasn't uncommon for her to help resuscitate a half a dozen men per month ( this was in the 60's-70's )

6 times a year , well after the procedure, a patient would ask her or her co-workers would ask her why?
why did you bring me back?

more than a half dozen patient's told her that they watched them working, but they were not in pain anymore

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
We used to give it in 0.2mg increments, just to get them breathing. Was very frowned upon to actually wake them up.

Now slamming 2 to 4 milligrams is all the rage, and bringing them immediately back to the world.

I remember an old-head medic telling me once, "They are not suffering from a narcan deficiency. They are suffering from an oxygen deficiency. So give them just enough narcan to fix the oxygen problem".

Much Wisdom in those words.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Ask them to sign a Consent To Treatment form before you administer. Problem solved.

I like that.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree with you, but around here 2-4mg doesn't work anymore. We have ones that are needing 10-14mg to wake up or start breathing again.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Administer it to their shirt on accident? Oops.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree totally. On known drug overdoses we typically start at .2 and increase by .2 accordingly, enough to keep them breathing. Sometimes the .2 is enough to break them out and turn them into an instant flaming asshole. There are instances where we have, "Slammed" given a non-responsive patient with unknown circumstances. Then there's also the times that EMS decides to leave us a present as they slam it coming in through the door...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes indeed! And take the time to start and IV rather than this intranasal BS. That way the dose can be controlled enough to restore adequate breathing and nothing more. Instant asshole - just add Narcan Big Grin

The other nonsense I'm seeing these days is slamming them with 4, 8 & 12 or more intranasal by first responders within 5 minutes. By the time I (the paramedic) get there I have to deal with a puke machine. Mad I've also seen 1 case of vomit aspiration that I had to manage because of the puking from the overzealous Narcan administration and I've had to deal with two cases where the patient was having withdrawal because of the amount of Narac that was given.

But hey, "we're saving lives." Roll Eyes

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
When you awaken an opiod overdose and they become an asshole tell them to STFU or you'll give them an injection that lasts a week.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I hate it too, morally against it, but work forced it on us. I generally put them in a recoveryish position and cuff them behind their backfirst. If rescue hasn’t made it on scene then I’ll administer.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t work well if you put it in their ear... ;-0

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about medical stuff.

But it's sad that NARCAN has become a household word that even I am aware of.

How did this happen?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post