SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Am I the jerk? (Neighbor's Dog)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I the jerk? (Neighbor's Dog) Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Of course you're the jerk. You dared to call out a neighbor's jerk behavior.

Welcome to the club. I'm a fellow jerk. Just last week, my wife and I turned onto the road the property where we park our fifth wheel is located to find a gentleman letting his dog crap on our property. As I pulled up, he asked if we were going to back our 5th wheel in. I said yes. He said he'd stay out of our way and I asked if he planned to pick up his dog's poop. That's when he shot me the "You're an asshole" look and said he didn't have a bag. I handed him a bag and said problem solved.

I like running my lawnmower. I don't like running over dog crap, getting it stuck in the tires and having to smell it for the next hour while mowing.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
One thing that I will not tolerate is a barking dog. Or at least those that bark incessantly.

Yes, it is the fault of the owners, but since we can't kill them....

I once owned a place in a residential neighborhood that was a bit run down but in the process of being "gentrified" if you will. Unfortunately, I had some POS welfare neighbors who didn't get the message.

They had a couple of mutts that would bark and carry on all day long nonstop. Since I was working nights, I was unable to sleep with the constant barking. I called the cops numerous times for disturbing the peace. I finally was at the end of my rope when I told one of them that I was just going to shoot them if they didn't do something to stop it.

He said, "I wouldn't recommend that as discharging a firearm within the city limits is illegal, but...are you a bowhunter?"

Message sent and received. I was sleeping fine within 24 hours.

Maybe it's the fact that I didn't get much sleep last night but are you saying you shot your neighbors dogs with a bow on their property for barking?

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not consider you a jerk. he is calling attention to his self by causing problems in the neighborhood,
If he did not want the attention he would remedy the situation.

Moose is a bermese, he lives across the street ( 160 feet away )

They put him outside and he watch's the world go by for a couple of hours, lays in the snow, keeps track of where the tree rats are going.

when he's ready to go in he barks at the back door once, waits for 5 minutes and barks twice, waits for 5 minutes and then barks three times.
then they let him in.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, dogs bark -- it's what they do. May I suggest to those that that do not like this; GET OVER IT. Your likes and dislikes ain't gonna' change the world.

Second, this thread is not about 'strange' dogs crapping in your yard. Start your own thread about that (but, we've already seen plenty of them). BTW, I don't want every ones dog fouling my grass either.

Third, I want my dog to sound off if someone approaches. I'm getting older and my time in the artillery and not wearing proper hearing protection has severely limited my ability to audibly detect a threat. That's one reason I keep a fair size dog.

Last, I live within a mile of the city limits and have a large chain link fenced back yard. So long as a dog barks for no more than 15 continuous minutes (from 9 PM thru 7 AM) the authorities will not intervene.

Neighbor directly in front has several large GSD, neighbor on one side owns a Great Dane -- we get along fine.

Neighbor directly behind (owns a little lap dog) chose to inform me shortly after I moved in that he did not appreciate my dog's barking. He was neither tactful or diplomatic in doing so. That's a major "faux pas" down here in the semi-rural south! When I let my dog out back after 9 PM, I don't care whether he barks or not. I just make sure to get him within 15 minutes. He can go back out in five minutes, if he wants (but I don't encourage him to do so).

I guess I'm an asshole. Somehow, I think I can (just barely) live with that!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We have an almost 3 year old G Shepherd, yes they are more barky than many dogs. Ours has a low threshold to bark.

We have a wired property, 5 acres, I don’t let her stay out and bark at length. A relative in MI has a neighbor who calls if their Lab barks twice in the afternoon, and he lives 250 yards away. I think he is retired too.

I can see both sides, nothing wrong with the mention.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I should move next to you. I have a Sheltie, thats all he does is bark.

Jake is his name.

Woof

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Many of you know my profession...

I carry a portable radio when I work, I can't wear headphones.

During my day, I have to listen to two Dachshund terriers bark for about 15 minutes straight. It drowns out my radio. I get pissed off.

The owners use to leave their dogs out, but when I'd skip their house, they caught on. Lately, they have been pulling their dogs inside once they start barking. But let them out right after I get past their house. And then the barking continues.

The husband finally realized I wouldn't walk in his yard when his dogs were out, they nip at my ankles. Even a 15lb dog can rip a $50 pair of pants.

I look forward to seeing the 140lb Rottweiler that wants to kill me before those fucking dogs...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
I should move next to you. I have a Sheltie, thats all he does is bark.
Jake is his name.

Jake looks very handsome.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bark collar for mine. If I'm away and shes outside, she's wearing it. ONE time, ONCE, my daughter forgot the collar. When I got home my neighbor comes over and starts in: "I'm sorry, I don't want to be THAT neighbor, but your dog barked all day".

I thanked her, then I apologized and explained the dog collar thing. As she started to apologize for complaining to me I stopped her and said: "you never have to apologize for speaking up, I appreciate that you came over and shared, and I thank you again for doing so". She works out of her home, and bark collars are cheap. No reason to do that to her. Had a talk with my kid and the bark collars been on regularly. As the dog ages, she should bark less without the collar.

Conversely, other neighbor with a loud German Shepard that was put out in the am and barked solid for 8 hours straight. About a month of 2 of that they had rat poison tossed over the fence. I'd rather hear it direct than have the angry neighbor rat poison effect. I think that's a horrifying thing.

But that's me.

Maybe you can gift one to your neighbor? https://smile.amazon.com/Upgra...ords=dog+bark+collar

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Palm,
The jerk is the neighbor and anyone else that allows their dog to disturb others. Dogs bark is not an excuse. Bark collar will take care of that problem. I've been through the barking dog issue more than once. Dean

Posts: 219 | Location: Loganville, Ga. | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
One thing that I will not tolerate is a barking dog. Or at least those that bark incessantly.

Yes, it is the fault of the owners, but since we can't kill them....

I once owned a place in a residential neighborhood that was a bit run down but in the process of being "gentrified" if you will. Unfortunately, I had some POS welfare neighbors who didn't get the message.

They had a couple of mutts that would bark and carry on all day long nonstop. Since I was working nights, I was unable to sleep with the constant barking. I called the cops numerous times for disturbing the peace. I finally was at the end of my rope when I told one of them that I was just going to shoot them if they didn't do something to stop it.

He said, "I wouldn't recommend that as discharging a firearm within the city limits is illegal, but...are you a bowhunter?"

Message sent and received. I was sleeping fine within 24 hours.

Maybe it's the fact that I didn't get much sleep last night but are you saying you shot your neighbors dogs with a bow on their property for barking?

That’s how I read it to. If that’s the case he’s a fucking asshole. Not the dogs fault that the owners are worthless. If someone did that to my dog I would respond in kind.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
To those of you who grew up with dogs and/or realize just what they are, I completely agree. To those of you upset by a dog doing what dogs do, please; do not move near me. You think a barking dog is obnoxious and ruins your quality of life?
I live in a rural area.
Cows moo...
Goats occasionally escape their fence...
Horses whinny...and escape occasionally...
Donkeys bray...all hours...
Wildlife (deer, others) wander through the yards at night...
And if you grow faint at the idea of stepping in dogshit, don't walk around out here if you visit. Deershit sticks to your footwear just like dogshit.

Did I mention we too have a dog?

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Dogs bark.
Babies cry.
People fart.

Being obnoxious and dismissive of other people is not a God given right.

My decision to have dogs, children or whatnot, does not grant me the privilege to force them on another, least of all my neighbor.

Anyone who thinks that it is OK to do so, is an ass.

And as Forrest Gump sez; "That's all I got to say 'bout that."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
It's 20 min in the middle of the day, and he's supervised. Don't see why it's an issue.

That's my thought as well. Even before I had dogs myself, I've never thought it odd that neighbors' dogs would bark.

I hear frogs croaking at night, am I going to complain? They're frogs.

I did hear a neighbor's loud music past 10 pm. I called that in.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
In my formative years I was a lad in rural MI, mostly back in the 70’s. A neighbor about 800 yards down the road was big into bear hunting with hounds. He usually had at least 6 hounds around his property, penned or tied up. Back then it was as normal as crickets or spring peepers at night, the barking.

That may not go over well in this day and age.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I did hear a neighbor's loud music past 10 pm. I called that in.

I guess I put these two things in the same category. They are both things disturbing the neighborhood that the neighbor has the power to control. Turn down the music. Bring in the dog that has been barking for 20 minutes.

I'm not complaining about the act of barking. Of course dogs are going to bark. It's the neighbor's action (or inaction) that bothers me.

Frogs and other wild animals making noise are not under anyone's control and though they may be annoying there is nothing to be done.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Dogs shouldn't bark for 20 minutes straight anyway - the owner shouldn't just stand there, they should toss a ball for him or otherwise make some activity for it - especially a working breed like a German Sheppard.

Mine bark when someone comes by for a delivery, or when they think there is something going on, but after it's over, they go back to sleep. But they can go out back through a large doggie door and get run 1-3 times a day in a large plot of land.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not consider you a jerk. he is calling attention to his self by causing problems in the neighborhood,
If he did not want the attention he would remedy the situation.

that being said:

If you walk through your neighborhood and every single home has dogs barking their heads off,just to hear themselves bark
you may as well just relocate now.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I don't like dogs that bark all the time, but I sympathize with folks who have tried and failed. We had one dog that would bark at everything and bark long and often. When we tried the bark collar, she'd just wear the battery out. She'd bark and yelp as it shocked her. Bark, yelp. Bark yelp. ETC finally the shocks would get weaker and weaker and back to non-stop barking she'd go...

finally found someone out "in the country" that wanted her. Current dog will only bark at coons, possum, and a squirrel if it's on our deck. He's good otherwise and goes days and days without barking at all.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not complaining about the act of barking. Of course dogs are going to bark. It's the neighbor's action (or inaction) that bothers me.

Bingo. people that expect others to listen to their crap, be it dogs, music, motors, etc., are inconsiderate slobs. No different than the knucklehead that pulls along side of you in a traffic jam with his ghetto rap at full blast.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post