SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What Do College Students Think of the SOTU Address
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do College Students Think of the SOTU Address Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
This won't come as a shock, but college students were against everything Trump "said" in the 2018 state of the union (SOTU). The major flaw in their "logic" is his first SOTU is tomorrow...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/p0ByWdt5iFQ

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
The college students interviewed are blatant liars not Bendablese linguists

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
The college students interviewed are blatant liars not Bendablese linguists

I was suggesting they may be from the future. More likely than not, they are liars and have not traveled back in time.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
more than likely, they won't watch it. Exact for maybe a few raging snowflakes.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow...not sure what else to say. These are the future leaders of tomorrow.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ianfiniti
posted Hide Post
I had to stop watching, as this seems to be...well, fake news. He isn't asking them their opinion on the State of the Union Address and allowing them to answer. He appears to be telling them what happened and getting their reaction to what he told them happened. He's the liar here, they're just idiots. They might also be liars, but there isn't anything in this video to indicate that.

This sort of misleading questioning and unflattering editing is unethical regardless of who it is done in support of.

Hell, I'm sure if many of the users of this forum were approached by a reporter and told a thing happened and asked for their thoughts on the thing they were just told about, most would answer, assuming that the reporter was operating in good faith unless they had reason to believe otherwise.

Ignorance is not dishonesty, and the worst that can be said of ignorance is perhaps it is a choice not to do the right thing and educate oneself on critical issues. Dishonesty is a choice to actively deceive another, usually leading to something worse that ignorance, but at least equally damning...misinformation.

O, here will I set up my everlasting rest and shake the yoke of inauspicious stars from this world-wearied flesh. Eyes, look your last. Arms, take your last embrace and lips, of you, the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss. Here's to my love.

Posts: 83 | Registered: August 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ianfiniti:
I had to stop watching, as this seems to be...well, fake news. He isn't asking them their opinion on the State of the Union Address and allowing them to answer. He appears to be telling them what happened and getting their reaction to what he told them happened. He's the liar here, they're just idiots. They might also be liars, but there isn't anything in this video to indicate that.

This sort of misleading questioning and unflattering editing is unethical regardless of who it is done in support of.

Hell, I'm sure if many of the users of this forum were approached by a reporter and told a thing happened and asked for their thoughts on the thing they were just told about, most would answer, assuming that the reporter was operating in good faith unless they had reason to believe otherwise.

Ignorance is not dishonesty, and the worst that can be said of ignorance is perhaps it is a choice not to do the right thing and educate oneself on critical issues. Dishonesty is a choice to actively deceive another, usually leading to something worse that ignorance, but at least equally damning...misinformation.

Same group did videos asking people about tax plans.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I didn't know the subject "I" would just say so.
Otherwise they are just bullshitting their way through the interview, not my style, maybe yours?

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well said. Your post sums up my thoughts nicely.

Of course these young idiots answered, taking what the nice reporter with the microphone said at face value, since they don't want to look uninformed and stupid on camera by admitting that they don't know.

Yeah, they ought to have just said "I don't know; I didn't watch it and haven't read up on what was stated". And I'm sure some did. But those weren't included in the compilation, for obvious reasons... It doesn't fit the narrative.

Media bias works both ways.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ianfiniti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Otherwise they are just bullshitting their way through the interview, not my style, maybe yours?

My answer would likely depend on the credibility I assigned to the source, in this case (a random person claiming to be a reporter) my answer would likely be "Oh, the SOTU was last night? I must have missed it..." But then if asked I would still likely give an opinion on what I was told was said. And then a biased media source seeking to construct a narrative would simply edit out the part where I said "I didn't see it but here are my thoughts if that is true..."

Besides, this is sort of missing the point, which RogueJSK summed up nicely, "Media bias goes both ways." Although I might add to Rogue's summary that we should be vigilant against dishonest reporting from any and all sources.

O, here will I set up my everlasting rest and shake the yoke of inauspicious stars from this world-wearied flesh. Eyes, look your last. Arms, take your last embrace and lips, of you, the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss. Here's to my love.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it was edited or not but media bias is not in the pretext of the questioning > it is in the effect of the indoctrination and the resulting bios of those being questioned.
The tax plan clip is a great example.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My answer would likely depend on the credibility I assigned to the source, in this case (a random person claiming to be a reporter) my answer would likely be "Oh, the SOTU was last night? I must have missed it..." But then if asked I would still likely give an opinion on what I was told was said. And then a biased media source seeking to construct a narrative would simply edit out the part where I said "I didn't see it but here are my thoughts if that is true..."

Besides, this is sort of missing the point, which RogueJSK summed up nicely, "Media bias goes both ways." Although I might add to Rogue's summary that we should be vigilant against dishonest reporting from any and all sources.
Mark Dice has dozens of videos showing people saying they don’t know or his question is backwards. Based on that, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt that all the lemmings just went along.

Picture of Ianfiniti
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if it was edited or not but media bias is not in the pretext of the questioning > it is in the effect of the indoctrination and the resulting bios of those being questioned.
The tax plan clip is a great example.

Those are two different videos, and the behavior of the "reporter" is different in each. What all of us can hopefully see clearly in each, however, is young people reacting to what they have been told is true rather than being critical and looking into it themselves. In one case though it is the reporter himself feeding them misinformation, and in the tax video it appears (although they could have edited it as well) that they simply buy into the liberal party line. I already said that ignorance is a flaw that should be corrected, and willful ignorance is the worst variety. But I also believe there is a duty to point out flaws on the other side of that microphone as well.

And just because the college students are flawed does not mean the "reporter" gets a pass on his dishonest tactics. He is being intentionally misleading in order to create a narrative.

I guess what I am really getting at is that it makes me uncomfortable to sit here and laugh at the ignorance of, let's face it, a stage of life where adults are just starting to be adults, without ALSO being critical of the fact that this is an active and disingenuous attempt to make them look bad. Neither is acceptable to me, and I don't think it fair to call out one without also addressing the other. Even if he has past videos where he doesn't make this mistake.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess what I am really getting at is that it makes me uncomfortable to sit here and laugh at the ignorance of, let's face it, a stage of life where adults are just starting to be adults

I guess you and the other snowflakes need to go find a "safe space" then. Frown

Picture of Ianfiniti
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess you and the other snowflakes need to go find a "safe space" then. Frown

Thanks for illustrating my point so well, by only quoting HALF of my sentence.

Point is, deceit is deceit. You might be okay with it, but I am not. Have a nice afternoon, though. Wink

Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
This won't come as a shock, but college students were against everything Trump "said" in the 2018 state of the union (SOTU). The major flaw in their "logic" is his first SOTU is tomorrow...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/p0ByWdt5iFQ

Somehow, I am anything but surprised by this.

The blatant stupidity, arrogance and plain evil on the part of these assholes should be a real warning to the Americans who can actually think!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hell, I'm sure if many of the users of this forum were approached by a reporter

I don't know about the many, but I am pretty sure I would not give a "reporter" who approached me the correct time of day!

I simply do not trust the HUGE majority of so-called reporters to be smart enough to come in out of the rain/snow without help,

That assumes, of course, that they even manage to get out of their mommy's basement.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Hell, I'm sure if many of the users of this forum were approached by a reporter

I don't know about the many, but I am pretty sure I would not give a "reporter" who approached me the correct time of day!

I simply do not trust the HUGE majority of so-called reporters to be smart enough to come in out of the rain/snow without help,

That assumes, of course, that they even manage to get out of their mommy's basement.

Exactly. Even if I spoke intelligently, they'd edit it to make me look like a hick. I got NO desire to see my mug on TV.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15226 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post