SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Out of control corporate safety
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out of control corporate safety Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Safety... dear lord

Have to have a safety meeting every week and a safety message at every meeting. These have nothing to do with work related items.

Could be about Halloween safety, train track safety, how to stay safe when its cold out, etc.

Its an absolute joke and just degrading at this point. A bunch of gorwn adult professionals talking about choking hazards of hard candy or something stupid. I have started to have more and more ridiculous items, dont taunt Happy Fun Ball, dont jump out of a giraffe saddle head first, etc.

This is what happens when corporate people dont have enough to do

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New discussion topic: “How to safely waste time in business meetings.”

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
In the absence of workers being decapitated by unguarded machines or thrown out windows by flying monkeys, the Safety department has to be kept fully employed. I suppose, be thankful they haven't moved to "this space heater has to go" or "Do you have a minute to discuss social distancing?"

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safety 3rd. Around here it's production, quality, safety and we have the same b.s. safety lectures.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
In the absence of workers being decapitated by unguarded machines or thrown out windows by flying monkeys, the Safety department has to be kept fully employed. I suppose, be thankful they haven't moved to "this space heater has to go" or "Do you have a minute to discuss social distancing?"

Oh you have no idea.. I wish we were still at the "this space heater has to go stage" it has gone far beyond that now

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I work at a government owned lab. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
All of ours is digital, so it's at your leisure (to an extent. We get a batch assigned every quarter).
Majority of it is fairly generic (driving safety, ergonomics, active shooter & some hazmat).

At my last job, everyone had to attend all safety classes, regardless of position.

I worked off-site (along with accounting, IT & a mapping dept) on the 3rd floor of an office building, but we were still required to do classes like forklift safety (none of us were forklift certified). I made mention to the safety mgr that there are no forklifts in our building...no response.

We had to do lithium battery training, which would not have held much relevance, but we had a 4ft battery explode & injure a few employees (along with a fair bit of building damage).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
When I worked for Verizon as an IT guy, I took chainsaw safety training because, well, why not?

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Go all Drill Sergeant on them, you know, the pre-weekend brief. All about condoms, Sally Rottencrotch, how to avoid crabs, etc.

That will get it to stop... One way or another.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
From what I could infer, "safety meeting" was code for go outside and smoke weed at my last place of employment.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you think it's bad in corporate, try giving safety briefings to convicts. I was down to teaching that Saran Wrap is ineffective protection against HIV.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is timely. I'm in the midst of it now. Sixty minutes of general safety (safety gloves when using box cutters?). I'm got another 90 minutes tomorrow. I can't click fast enough on the "next" button.

However, the stuff I could actually use (electrical, 480v, low and medium voltage, oil & gas, refinery, industrial settings) happens much, much less.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
"And our briefing this week will be 'How to avoid the gag reflex and not choke to death, dealing with corporate safety-meeting mandates.'

Don't be late or all the Ex-Lax will be gone, just like last week!"

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Mike Rowes Safety 3rd

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It could have been a part of a legal settlement the company agreed to.

One company I was in was nabbed by the government for shady pricing dealings. Part of the settlement was that every powerpoint presentation held in the company had to have a first slide talking about how the company is committed to ethical practices or some such bullshit.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
We're supposed to begin every meeting with a safety moment which is supposed to last a minute or two. Boot lickers fall all over themselves trying to add onto what the person was saying and it's rarely related. Could easily turn this portion of the meeting into 15 minutes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Look at the days/years to retirement. Then factor in all the hassles it takes to deliver that paycheck. That’s all you have to worry about, focus.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Meetings:

An institution where the minutes are kept and the hours are lost.

Glad I started my own company and didn't have to put up with that stuff.

When I started my company they'd just started up with the PC stuff and I went to just one Sexual Harassment meeting.

After it was over I made a sign for my office that said:

Sexual Harassment will not be reported, but it will be graded.

The female office workers loved it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
first company I worked for had a safety VHS tape (1980)

it was basic safety for working in retail grocery,

one of the actors in the tape was Nick Nolte

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post